E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help, shredding through tires! even after alignment

05-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #23
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBeard View Post
That's why I wrote that maybe OP has much more camber than -2.5 (learn to read) and again you are missing the point here: 2 tires can't get such worn pattern simultaneously, so your suggestions about "something rubbing" don't add, should i also suggest you to get a clue?

OP one more time I'm asking you - do you have same worn pattern on your other front tire?
Learn to read yourself. The alignment sheet shows the 2.5* camber. Yes, tires can indeed exhibit symmetrical wear without it being a function of camber, it's a toe issue as that's what drags the tire along wearing it, camber doesn't. You have no earthly idea what you're talking about, and all of us know it.
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 03:47 PM   #24
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Few questions:
-can you post photos form the camper plates?
-does you car pull when you brake?
-have you noticed increased steering effort at lower speeds?
I suspect issues with caster, either from mis-adjustment or failing suspension components. If this is adjustable on your plates go with less positive caster as more positive caster will pull toe when wheels are turning.
I took pictures with the hood open during my lunch. Is this what you're looking for? or do i need to disassemble something? it doesn't look like you can see much from the top, although it does like the bolts were repositioned somewhere along the line. I will post these pics in a separate post below so i do not clutter this post.

i did some hard stops during lunch and it did not pull to one side or another. the steering wheel did quickly shift right and left but only during very hard braking where the tires screeched a little and/or either abs would kick in (or come very close). i have noticed this quick jolt in the steering in the past but it barely ever happens. i guess dont do super hard stops often either. i can do more testing after work

um i can't say i've noticed increased steering wheel effort. it has always been heavy

so would your suggestion be to go back and try to get another alignment and adjust the caster?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 04:02 PM   #25
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Let me know if you'd like for me to take different pictures

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 04:12 PM   #26
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have no doubt it's a incorrect camber (negative) and toe that does that wear. Question is what component of suspension is causing excessive misalignment? Could be bushing, saggy springs, but whatever it is it has to be on both sides - that is really strange as i doubt bushings can go bad simultaneously on both sides. Something doesn't add up here

P.S. OP just to take obvious stuff out of suspicion - tires are NOT rubbing on the strut right?

I'm pretty positive they are not rubbing. i can take the wheels off to inspect more but my set up has not changed in years so i doubt it
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 04:20 PM   #27
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post
Caster is definitely more positive than on my plates, at least for now. Dynamic camber might do it but at 7.4* vs my 7* it doesn't seem likely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iturbo_bmw View Post
Let me know if you'd like for me to take different pictures
Look to me that he has negative caster and I'm not sure if plates are correctly installed. They have markings FL and FR. OP can you confirm this?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 04:30 PM   #28
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

nobody has asked yet.... what's your pressure??
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #29
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

I edit one of your photos to will help determine what you have. I think you have negative caster. From my understanding positive caster pulls in the toe and negative pushes out. Try to get it to center OEM-like (the strut shaft to be pointing straight in the middle of the strut bar)and re-adjust camber and toe afterwards.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #30
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Look to me that he has negative caster and I'm not sure if plates are correctly installed. They have markings FL and FR. OP can you confirm this?
I took pictures of the driverside first and that one says FL so i guess they're correct
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 04:37 PM   #31
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna View Post
nobody has asked yet.... what's your pressure??
i ran 34/38 for a while and recently went to 32/36. not sure which is better for my set up?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 05:08 PM   #32
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I took pictures of the driverside first and that one says FL so i guess they're correct
Ok, get the shaft either to OEM-like position (in the middle, center) or from that centar like pushed to the back (towards windshield) That should help assuming suspension components are in OK condition.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 07:04 PM   #33
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Ok, get the shaft either to OEM-like position (in the middle, center) or from that centar like pushed to the back (towards windshield) That should help assuming suspension components are in OK condition.
The Vorshlags can only go from stock to more positive if installed correctly, fwiw.
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 07:56 PM   #34
WhiteBeard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:
Learn to read yourself. The alignment sheet shows the 2.5* camber. Yes, tires can indeed exhibit symmetrical wear without it being a function of camber, it's a toe issue as that's what drags the tire along wearing it, camber doesn't. You have no earthly idea what you're talking about, and all of us know it.
So you are reiterating my words basically eh?

Quote:
I have no doubt it's a incorrect camber (negative) and toe that does that wear. Question is what component of suspension is causing excessive misalignment? Could be bushing, saggy springs, but whatever it is it has to be on both sides - that is really strange as i doubt bushings can go bad simultaneously on both sides. Something doesn't add up here
Go back and reread what I wrote before your post. I wrote about toe. Then you show up and use my words lol. Now I don't want to continue this useless back and forth discussion - it's not helping OP, but let me just point out that it was you who started condescending talk about "having a clue". Be a polite forum member and everyone will treat you like that, be a douchebag and you'll get what you deserve man
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 08:14 PM   #35
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The Vorshlags can only go from stock to more positive if installed correctly, fwiw.
Correct. Only positive. I can't think of anything else. Assuming suspension components are OK and read out from alignment rack is accurate.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 08:19 PM   #36
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So you are reiterating my words basically eh?
Go back and reread what I wrote before your post. I wrote about toe. Then you show up and use my words lol. Now I don't want to continue this useless back and forth discussion - it's not helping OP, but let me just point out that it was you who started condescending talk about "having a clue". Be a polite forum member and everyone will treat you like that, be a douchebag and you'll get what you deserve man
Except that your post says "I have no doubt is incorrect (negative) camber and toe that does the wear" and there isn't correct or incorrect camber and camber will not wear out the tires but toe will.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 08:24 PM   #37
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Correct. Only positive. I can't think of anything else. Assuming suspension components are OK and read out from alignment rack is accurate.
I was thinking maybe dynamic toe during acceleration or braking, something that wouldn't show up on the rack after settling the suspension. Maybe something worn or set up incorrectly that wouldn't be obvious without taking a pry bar to the suspension like ya oughta. It's also possible to get some extra toe-out during highway driving as well but not much. I run 1/16" total toe-out with 3.8* camber and there's zero wear over the life of the R1R tires. So it'd take more than that, I'm guessing.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 08:24 PM   #38
WhiteBeard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:
Except that your post says "I have no doubt is incorrect (negative) camber and toe that does the wear" and there isn't correct or incorrect camber and camber will not wear out the tires but toe will.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspected that OP has way too negative camber (not just -2.5) and a toe - that combined eats inner portion. I thought one of his suspension components is either worn, broken, bent or isn't installed correctly - whatever it is - it is on both sides left and right, so due to that faulty suspension component essentially it's his wrong alignment that is eating his tires
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 10:33 PM   #39
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay so basically I'm gonna tell the shop to move that towards the windshield and give more more positive caster correct? What confuses me is that the alignments readings say i have positive caster of over 7 degrees on each side. does this just mean i need even more positive caster? wouldn't the reading say i have a negative caster if it was negative? i'd just like to fully understand this before i go into the shop.

Would it help if i took the wheels off and took a pic of the suspension?

is there anything else i should consider? i really don't wanna go through another set of tires. i will get under the car this weekend and try to check out the bushings. do i just try to wiggle around the suspension components and check for any play?

thanks alot for your help on this btw
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 10:45 PM   #40
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Okay so basically I'm gonna tell the shop to move that towards the windshield and give more more positive caster correct? What confuses me is that the alignments readings say i have positive caster of over 7 degrees on each side. does this just mean i need even more positive caster? wouldn't the reading say i have a negative caster if it was negative? i'd just like to fully understand this before i go into the shop.

is there anything else i should consider? i really don't wanna go through another set of tires. i will get under the car this weekend and try to check out the bushings. do i just try to wiggle around the suspension components and check for any play?

No need to increase caster. It'll increase dynamic camber that's helpful on the track but not really on the street. You would need to redo the alignment anyway. Lots of pics of the suspension would help, maybe. Get a length of 2x4 to act as a lever against the arms to see if the bushings are still good, well within reason anyway.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      05-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #41
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Appears that you plates are correctly installed. I have different plates but found photos online from them as seen bellow. At this point re-do the alignment and inspect the suspension components for failures as justpete suggested. I run -3.5 with 0.05 toe and tire wear is OK. I will post photo later.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 03:50 PM   #42
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Appears that you plates are correctly installed. I have different plates but found photos online from them as seen bellow. At this point re-do the alignment and inspect the suspension components for failures as justpete suggested. I run -3.5 with 0.05 toe and tire wear is OK. I will post photo later.
Hm okay thank you. I will get under the car this weekend and report back my findings. I'll take lots of pics. hopefully i can find the culprit
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 09:21 AM   #43
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hm okay thank you. I will get under the car this weekend and report back my findings. I'll take lots of pics. hopefully i can find the culprit
This is my 255/35-18 Hankook RS-3 after about 8-10k (1year) at -3.5 camber with 0.05 toe and 10-12 track days. Wear is uneven, I agree, but considering the aggressive camber is OK. So inspect you components well and check the alignment on another rack if possible.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #44
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

iturbo_bmw any update on this issue? I hope that you have it all sorted out.
Appreciate 0