E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > AWD + DSC Malfunction After Getting Alignment

12-18-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
alex-t9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

AWD + DSC Malfunction After Getting Alignment

So I installed BC BR coilovers last week and finally got around to getting an alignment today. Shop finishes and tells me the alignment is good but it's giving the AWD + DSC Malfunction warnings. They pulled the code and it's a steering angle sensor malfunction.

They gave me the vehicle alignment report and the numbers look good. I had drive it home since they just closed for the day and I needed to get home. it pulls right and steering wheel needs to be turned left to go straight.

I get home and give a visual inspection on the wheels, then check the camber plate adjustments under the hood. To my surprise, the FL camber plate is pushed to max negative camber, and the FR camber plate is pushed to max positive. Even measuring by hand in the wheel well I can see the FL camber is super negative.

Is the bad camber what could be causing the malfunctions? I told them I'd take my car back there tomorrow so I'll see what they say. My only guess could be that their alignment machine is out of wack? Or the camber plate bolts were loose and they moved after they test drove it? This is at a reputable after market shop so I'm kinda shocked.

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Turn steering wheel to full left and full right lock, drive in circle, hopefully it will reset, if not hook it up to INPA.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 09:24 PM   #3
alex-t9
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Turn steering wheel to full left and full right lock, drive in circle, hopefully it will reset, if not hook it up to INPA.
Tried this multiple times already. No luck. And I don't have inpa unfortunately. Do people who just need to recalibrate also have tracking issues when it occurs?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 10:42 PM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex-t9 View Post
Tried this multiple times already. No luck. And I don't have inpa unfortunately. Do people who just need to recalibrate also have tracking issues when it occurs?
Yes, but not necessarily easy to notice, could be just slightly off.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 11:11 PM   #5
alex-t9
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Yes, but not necessarily easy to notice, could be just slightly off.
Hmm okay. Mine is pretty far off. 12 o'clock on the steering wheel is actually at like 10/11 o'clock when going straight.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 11:50 PM   #6
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex-t9 View Post
Hmm okay. Mine is pretty far off. 12 o'clock on the steering wheel is actually at like 10/11 o'clock when going straight.
Well from all of this I think they didn't put steering wheel straight before aligning the car and that is the issue. You have to go back to shop and have them re do it. 1)turn steering wheel to full left and full right then put in center and secure it 2) align the rear 3) align the front. That is the procedure.
Appreciate 0