E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Keyless start retrofit?

06-29-2015, 12:22 AM   #1
oorlando
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Keyless start retrofit?

I've searched everywhere and cannot find any solid information in retrofitting a e92 just for keyless start. Has anyone done it? Would love some help in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 11:01 PM   #2
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

Quote:
Originally Posted by oorlando View Post
I've searched everywhere and cannot find any solid information in retrofitting a e92 just for keyless start. Has anyone done it? Would love some help in the right direction.
send patryk@bimmer-tech.net an e-mail
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 11:32 PM   #3
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Do you mean remote starter? Or keyless like cars with comfort access?
      06-29-2015, 11:33 PM   #4
oorlando
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
Do you mean remote starter? Or keyless like cars with comfort access?

Keyless start like comfort access
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 09:17 PM   #5
zivyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: for enjoyment

Lots of articles, it's too expensive to justify

search comfort access retrofit

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ccess+retrofit

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...comfort+access

...and so on....
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2015, 09:42 PM   #6
oorlando
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I've seen all those threads but useless information.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 10:02 PM   #7
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Not worth retrofitting comfort access, like NOT at all. Better off selling your car then looking for another with CA
      06-30-2015, 10:04 PM   #8
oorlando
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTN View Post
Not worth retrofitting comfort access, like NOT at all. Better off selling your car then looking for another with CA
Not useful comment please keep it to yourself. If you are going to pay me the difference of trade in I'll go do it tomorrow morning
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 10:49 PM   #9
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Not useful comment please keep it to yourself. If you are going to pay me the difference of trade in I'll go do it tomorrow morning

Not a useful comment? geez, you created a thread asking for comments regarding retrofitting comfort access in which many people here already know it's just not worth doing and helping you steer clear of it as you're better off using your money on other things like mods, or maintenance of your car.

LOL why would i pay you for the trade in? if you're already a tight arse on paying the trade in difference then good luck doing a CA retrofit.

But whatever... lets see how far you go with this comfort access retrofitting.

not my money
      07-01-2015, 10:08 AM   #10
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

you need to replace following parts
front door handles, front door wiring (handles with open contacts, wiring with special plug for such handles)
add front door CA antennas, rear antennas, CA module, two CA keys
it is better to get them from car breaker because it is not possible to order blank CA keys
after that you need to bring all this to experienced BMW tech who synchronize new keys with your car
      07-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #11
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
you need to replace following parts
front door handles, front door wiring (handles with open contacts, wiring with special plug for such handles)
add front door CA antennas, rear antennas, CA module, two CA keys
it is better to get them from car breaker because it is not possible to order blank CA keys
after that you need to bring all this to experienced BMW tech who synchronize new keys with your car
Like the previous guy said, not worth it.
OP this question comes up all the time. Just search.
You will find that getting keys is almost impossible because BMW doesn't have your VIN with the right option codes they will not be able to get keys very easily.

Like another poster said for the expense and time involved you are better off selling your car and finding one with that option.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #12
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Not that I'm interested, but maybe OP is, would there be a way to do a hybrid approach, so that lock/unlock is done traditionally (thus not requiring changes in doors), but starting the car can be done by proximity?

I'm guessing no but doesn't hurt to ask I suppose...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #13
zivyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: for enjoyment

Quote:
I've seen all those threads but useless information.
Well then...

Step 1 - Call BMW and tell them that you want a CA key coded to your car, once you accomplish that near impossible task maybe someone will give you more "useful" information.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 10:26 AM   #14
oorlando
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Do any of you guys know where the antennas, and CA modules are located?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #15
oorlando
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I found a salvaged car. But idk where to start to take the stuff out or what exactly do I need
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 11:05 PM   #16
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

I don't think anyone has been successful so no one knows for sure what you're going to need, but I would guess you would need at least the keys from the salvaged car, the DME, CAS, CA module, CA sensors and antennae, door handles.

One problem is the DME probably won't match your engine since you have a 335is, unless the salvaged car is also a 335is. Another issue is if this is even legal or not because with the CAS and DME changed, you're effectively changing your car's VIN as seen with diagnostic tools. But lets say the salvaged car is from a 335is and you're ignoring the possible legal issues, the VIN and mileage in your KOMBI (gauge cluster) won't match with the salvaged CAS and it will look like you tampered with it.

Also, you better hope the keys are in fact CA keys and are already enabled in the CAS for CA functions, otherwise I don't know how you're going to convince a dealer to enable that for you. On the same note, good luck getting key replacements in the future if they break or you lose them.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 11:38 PM   #17
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
I found a salvaged car. But idk where to start to take the stuff out or what exactly do I need
So how are you going with this?
      11-01-2015, 02:54 PM   #18
1917DOB
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 335i E93 LeMans/SaddleBrown

I have a pair of White Comfort Access Driver and Passenger Door Handles, the CA Module, and 4 Antennas. $250 cash plus shipping if anyone wants it. Let me know.
2013 328i Sedan Alpine White / Beige Dakota (Sold)
2011 335i Sedan BSM / Black Dakota (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 05:51 AM   #19
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
I don't think anyone has been successful so no one knows for sure what you're going to need, but I would guess you would need at least the keys from the salvaged car, the DME, CAS, CA module, CA sensors and antennae, door handles.

One problem is the DME probably won't match your engine since you have a 335is, unless the salvaged car is also a 335is. Another issue is if this is even legal or not because with the CAS and DME changed, you're effectively changing your car's VIN as seen with diagnostic tools. But lets say the salvaged car is from a 335is and you're ignoring the possible legal issues, the VIN and mileage in your KOMBI (gauge cluster) won't match with the salvaged CAS and it will look like you tampered with it.

Also, you better hope the keys are in fact CA keys and are already enabled in the CAS for CA functions, otherwise I don't know how you're going to convince a dealer to enable that for you. On the same note, good luck getting key replacements in the future if they break or you lose them.
there are plenty of such retrofits done in eastern europe by experienced bmw retrofit shops
dme replacement is not needed
      12-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #20
njmian
Rep
Drives: 11' E70 x5 35i, 07' E90 328i

Damn you guys were really $tup!d back in 2015 lol. programming the key is not rocket science, all you have to do is put you old key in the key slot turn on ignition but not start the car, take it out and within 10second hit the lock button 3 times on you new or used key and voila your key is programmed, this works on all e series car, ive tried with e46, e90, e60 and e70.I just buy the $20 key from amazon or ebay, follow the procedure, replace the metal key part from the old key and done. if you need a new key cut just look up laser key cutting in your local area and they do it for like $20. you people need to do some research before giving out your useless opinions telling people its not worth it bla bla.

As for the comfort access i've found that different cars use different number of antennas like the 7 series uses 8 and an e90 uses 4 but on real oem it shows my e70 uses only 2 antennas. In 2020 you can get all parts used for around 300-500 all you have to do is figure out the wiring from all the sensors to the the passive go module and from that module to the cas.Basically the module has 3 wire CAN signal one fused power and one ground, rest are all the wires that go to the sensors and door handles. the cas does not need to be changed or whatever the bs these guys are talking in the previous comments. all you do is program the passive go/CA module to your vin with winkfp, then go into ncs expert and code the CA to cas and frm like e90 or e70/ cas or lma like e60. once programmed you'll see the CA module show up in ncs expert, next you write a blank file to that module in ncs expert and all should work.
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2020, 07:07 AM   #21
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmian View Post
Damn you guys were really $tup!d back in 2015 lol. programming the key is not rocket science, all you have to do is put you old key in the key slot turn on ignition but not start the car, take it out and within 10second hit the lock button 3 times on you new or used key and voila your key is programmed, this works on all e series car, ive tried with e46, e90, e60 and e70.I just buy the $20 key from amazon or ebay, follow the procedure, replace the metal key part from the old key and done. if you need a new key cut just look up laser key cutting in your local area and they do it for like $20. you people need to do some research before giving out your useless opinions telling people its not worth it bla bla.

As for the comfort access i've found that different cars use different number of antennas like the 7 series uses 8 and an e90 uses 4 but on real oem it shows my e70 uses only 2 antennas. In 2020 you can get all parts used for around 300-500 all you have to do is figure out the wiring from all the sensors to the the passive go module and from that module to the cas.Basically the module has 3 wire CAN signal one fused power and one ground, rest are all the wires that go to the sensors and door handles. the cas does not need to be changed or whatever the bs these guys are talking in the previous comments. all you do is program the passive go/CA module to your vin with winkfp, then go into ncs expert and code the CA to cas and frm like e90 or e70/ cas or lma like e60. once programmed you'll see the CA module show up in ncs expert, next you write a blank file to that module in ncs expert and all should work.
they key which you activate inserting after working key will newer start car, if it is not stored in CAS before from factory
      12-25-2020, 08:50 PM   #22
njmian
Rep
Drives: 11' E70 x5 35i, 07' E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
they key which you activate inserting after working key will newer start car, if it is not stored in CAS before from factory
Again id suggest you do your homework or try it youself because ive done it on 4 different bmws. People we need to stop giving out suggestions if you haven't had a first hand experience with certain things.
Appreciate 0