E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is my factory freak N54's luck starting to run out?

07-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #1
3drty5
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i 6MT

Is my factory freak N54's luck starting to run out?

Hey everyone, I've owned an N54 335i 6 Speed for over 2 years and 16,000 amazing miles, I am worried about the future reliability of it and wanted to get everyone's $0.02.

The car is a 2007 E90 335i (12/06 build), first owner leased it, second owner is a friend that owned it from 2009-2017 when I bought it from him with 113k miles. The car has always been serviced at the dealer until I started working on it myself and taking it to my indy friend. I think I have a factory freak (original index 1 injectors, original turbos and hpfp (as far as I am aware)), but stuff has been taken care of by the dealer (ofhg, oil pan, valve cover at 70-80k. While I have owned it, the car has been pretty trouble free. The car was definitely extremely well looked after (still on original clutch at 129k). I flushed all those "liftime" fluids, replaced serpentine belts and pulleys. Had a camshaft position sensor go out on me at 119k, pretty quick fix. In December, Injector 1 Mosfet blew out and I had to have the car towed home. Had a computer shop solder 6 new mosfets, replaced all 6 coils and plugs. Noticed a valve cover leak onto plugs 3 and 4, replaced the gasket but it is leaking again so I have a new valve cover ordered that I will be taking care of in the next week. Just finished the OFHG last weekend. I also will be taking it to a local shop for a walnut blast in the next few weeks. I can do a decent amount of work myself, and have an indy friend to help me with bigger jobs (like the oil pan if it starts leaking).

Even though my car has been great over the last 13 years, I am worried about the future reliability of this car. I have a good amount of money saved for repairs, but don't know if its the best decision to put it all into this car. Considering selling the 335i and getting into an E90 LCI 328i, or an E92 328i. What does everyone think about the safe switch vs. sorting out this car?

Thanks everyone and have a great day!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
twinscrolled
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

You will miss it big time driving a N52 car. If you can afford it, upgrade. If not, then stick with the car you know until you are forced to get out of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 11:58 AM   #3
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
To live in fear is to not live at all. Don’t worry about what will fail next. Just enjoy the car during its trouble fee miles and whatever arises you’ll be able to handle it.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      07-03-2019, 11:59 AM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3drty5 View Post
Hey everyone, I've owned an N54 335i 6 Speed for over 2 years and 16,000 amazing miles, I am worried about the future reliability of it and wanted to get everyone's $0.02.

The car is a 2007 E90 335i (12/06 build), first owner leased it, second owner is a friend that owned it from 2009-2017 when I bought it from him with 113k miles. The car has always been serviced at the dealer until I started working on it myself and taking it to my indy friend. I think I have a factory freak (original index 1 injectors, original turbos and hpfp (as far as I am aware)), but stuff has been taken care of by the dealer (ofhg, oil pan, valve cover at 70-80k. While I have owned it, the car has been pretty trouble free. The car was definitely extremely well looked after (still on original clutch at 129k). I flushed all those "liftime" fluids, replaced serpentine belts and pulleys. Had a camshaft position sensor go out on me at 119k, pretty quick fix. In December, Injector 1 Mosfet blew out and I had to have the car towed home. Had a computer shop solder 6 new mosfets, replaced all 6 coils and plugs. Noticed a valve cover leak onto plugs 3 and 4, replaced the gasket but it is leaking again so I have a new valve cover ordered that I will be taking care of in the next week. Just finished the OFHG last weekend. I also will be taking it to a local shop for a walnut blast in the next few weeks. I can do a decent amount of work myself, and have an indy friend to help me with bigger jobs (like the oil pan if it starts leaking).

Even though my car has been great over the last 13 years, I am worried about the future reliability of this car. I have a good amount of money saved for repairs, but don't know if its the best decision to put it all into this car. Considering selling the 335i and getting into an E90 LCI 328i, or an E92 328i. What does everyone think about the safe switch vs. sorting out this car?

Thanks everyone and have a great day!
No way it has the original HPFP. Those were all recalled in 2010.

As far as the VC. You need to understand that this part of the engine is slanted. So, oil will pool and more pressure will accumulate where it pools.

As a result, the gasket by itself is not a reliable fix.

You first need a really good torque wrench capable of reading low numbers under 10#.

Next you need an OEM gasket and 1 tube of Ultra Black.

Once you get the VC off and cleaned up;

1) Put a bead of Ultra Black where the gasket goes.
2) Press the gasket into the groves where you just put a bead of Ultra Black.
3) Put another bead of Ultra Black on top of the pressed in gasket.
4) Carefully place the VC on the head w/ out moving it too much. You may need a partner to keep the wiring harness out of your way, or just bungee it out of the way!
5) Get an RB upgraded PCV valve & a new PCV breather hose & valve. These items reed to be replaced every 50,000 miles or excess pressure will build up and start to blow out gaskets.
6) Get a BMS catch can.
7) Walnut Blast every 30-36,000 miles; get your own set up for about $200.00 and learn to do it yourself.

Use the DIY below from ECS Tuning

http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3...eplacement.pdf
Appreciate 2
Biginboca3759.50
3drty51.00
      07-07-2019, 09:40 PM   #5
3drty5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post

As far as the VC. You need to understand that this part of the engine is slanted. So, oil will pool and more pressure will accumulate where it pools.

You first need a really good torque wrench capable of reading low numbers under 10#.

4) Carefully place the VC on the head w/ out moving it too much. You may need a partner to keep the wiring harness out of your way, or just bungee it out of the way!
5) Get an RB upgraded PCV valve & a new PCV breather hose & valve. These items reed to be replaced every 50,000 miles or excess pressure will build up and start to blow out gaskets.
6) Get a BMS catch can.
7) Walnut Blast every 30-36,000 miles; get your own set up for about $200.00 and learn to do it yourself.

Thanks for the info! Will do this. Walnut blast is up next- need to find someone in the Central Florida area to help me or I will be taking it into a shop.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 09:43 PM   #6
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post

6) Get a BMS catch can.

Thanks for the info! Will do this. Walnut blast is up next- need to find someone in the Central Florida area to help me or I will be taking it into a shop.
If you take it into a shop, they will charge you $400.00.

You can buy your own kit for just under $200.00. As long as you have s decent air compressor & a good shop vac, your good.

There are plenty of videos on "how too" on YouTube
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 11:33 PM   #7
FLYIN4D
In The Lane Next To You
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i 6MT Coupe

"RB upgraded PCV valve & a new PCV breather hose & valve"

^^^I would like to know more about these items and where to get them^^^
I just purchased a E92 328i 6MT and will begin changing things at 103k on the clock so I can begin my own maintenance schedule, etc.
      07-08-2019, 12:01 PM   #8
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Adding my 2 cents.
When you read the various problem posts on this site, and other similar sites, it makes it seem as if anyone who owns an E9X will have a myriad of issues every day of the year costing them $$$$ of dollars in repairs which is not the case. Yeah. German cars are not as reliable as they once were decades ago, but very car is different and depends on many things (i.e. driving conditions/environment, location, terrain, driver habits/style of driving, how they or who maintains it, etc., etc., etc..) so some have very little problems and some have more problems than others. But, not every single E9X owner is a member of this site so you don’t hear from those people. Therefore, you cannot get a 100% accurate representation of those with or without reliability issues. So as long as you stay on top of things and keep it maintained properly, by you or a BMW mechanic who knows how to properly maintain a 335, then it will be reliable for however long you plan to own it.

I bought my 2010 E92 335i new (build date 10/2009) and probably one of the few original owners on this site. It’s reaching its 10th year of ownership since I first purchased it off the dealer lot on 12/31/2009. It still runs great like a well-oiled machine. My ride has 112,000+ miles now and I haven’t had any major reliability or catastrophic issues that has made feel like I need to get rid of it and nor have I had any doubts it’s going to break down on a road trip in the middle of Siberia.

Not too long ago (November 2018) I posted a 100,000 write up. See the following link if you want to read more. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1554599

Yes. I have fixed or replaced various things in those 9+ years, but not all of them happened at the same time and within a very short period of time as you will see in my 100,000 mile post. I have a trusted BMW mechanic I can afford to keep it well maintained and so when I need to get some service done, or sense something needs to be checked, he takes the time inspect the problem and do things right if a repair or service is needed.

As of now, the most recent repair I had done was the water pump (@ 104,000+ miles), which I knew was coming at some point this year. It just so happened back in March 2019 which my trusted mechanic took care of. Other than that, I don’t expect any other issues to deal with besides regular scheduled maintenance which, according to my iDrive vehicle info, my brake fluid is due for a change, so I will be bringing in for service very soon. And, of course, there’s the annual oil change which will be done sometime before the end of this year. Yep! I have been doing the annual oil change for the past 9 years without any issues whatsoever.

Have no regrets of buying my 335 and have no plans to get rid of it anytime soon.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 1
Schmitz241.00
      07-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #9
3drty5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post
Adding my 2 cents.
When you read the various problem posts on this site, and other similar sites, it makes it seem as if anyone who owns an E9X will have a myriad of issues every day of the year costing them $$$$ of dollars in repairs which is not the case. Yeah. German cars are not as reliable as they once were decades ago, but very car is different and depends on many things (i.e. driving conditions/environment, location, terrain, driver habits/style of driving, how they or who maintains it, etc., etc., etc..) so some have very little problems and some have more problems than others. But, not every single E9X owner is a member of this site so you don’t hear from those people. Therefore, you cannot get a 100% accurate representation of those with or without reliability issues. So as long as you stay on top of things and keep it maintained properly, by you or a BMW mechanic who knows how to properly maintain a 335, then it will be reliable for however long you plan to own it.
I bought my 2010 E92 335i new (build date 10/2009) and probably one of the few original owners on this site. It’s reaching its 10th year of ownership since I first purchased it off the dealer lot on 12/31/2009. It still runs great like a well-oiled machine. My ride has 112,000+ miles now and I haven’t had any major reliability or catastrophic issues that has made feel like I need to get rid of it and nor have I had any doubts it’s going to break down on a road trip in the middle of Siberia.

Not too long ago (November 2018) I posted a 100,000 write up. See the following link if you want to read more. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1554599

Yes. I have fixed or replaced various things in those 9+ years, but not all of them happened at the same time and within a very short period of time as you will see in my 100,000 mile post. I have a trusted BMW mechanic I can afford to keep it well maintained and so when I need to get some service done, or sense something needs to be checked, he takes the time inspect the problem and do things right if a repair or service is needed.

As of now, the most recent repair I had done was the water pump (@ 104,000+ miles), which I knew was coming at some point this year. It just so happened back in March 2019 which my trusted mechanic took care of. Other than that, I don’t expect any other issues to deal with besides regular scheduled maintenance which, according to my iDrive vehicle info, my brake fluid is due for a change, so I will be bringing in for service very soon. And, of course, there’s the annual oil change which will be done sometime before the end of this year. Yep! I have been doing the annual oil change for the past 9 years without any issues whatsoever.

Have no regrets of buying my 335 and have no plans to get rid of it anytime soon.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thank you for the advice! I see you're in Tampa, where do you take your car for Walnut Blasting?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 03:41 PM   #10
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Quote:
Thank you for the advice! I see you're in Tampa, where do you take your car for Walnut Blasting?
Welcome. No problem.
As far as walnut blasting, I have not had it done.
When I asked my trusted mechanic about it, he said I don't need to do that and that there are other ways of cleaning using special chemicals. So unless my ride is experiencing any extreme loss of power, or performance issues, then it will be necessary, but it hasn't had any whatsoever.
I'll bring it up with him again at my next scheduled service.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 04:38 PM   #11
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinscrolled View Post
You will miss it big time driving a N52 car. If you can afford it, upgrade. If not, then stick with the car you know until you are forced to get out of it.
Eh, had a heavily modded 335i for 2 years. Had 2 N52 cars since. Zero regrets.

Unless you're DIY capable and/or have a decent budget to blow, high mileage 335i are terrible cars to own and operate on a daily basis.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 05:22 PM   #12
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

There is a 0% chance that thing has the original HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 05:57 PM   #13
3drty5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
There is a 0% chance that thing has the original HPFP.
You're probably right and I'm also hoping so. Car spent 8 of its years at my local dealer and I have seen those service records. It spent 2 years in New Jersey around the HPFP recall so I am assuming it was done at its dealer up there but haven't had time to look into it further.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 05:57 PM   #14
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Personally I'm not a fan of the n54. It's easily one of BMW's engineering blunders as far as reliability goes.
That said if your 335i has served you well all these years and you know its history then it is best to keep it. When things start to go $outh, just sell it. I've seen enough naive youngsters looking to buy these things. In fact there's a thread of an 18yo looking to buy an FBO 335i!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 06:37 PM   #15
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

3drty, you know the maintenance that has been done on your ride. Replacing it is a question mark. Keep her, continue to love her, and report back at 200 K.
Appreciate 0