E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 rod knock/spun bearing tracking

03-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #177
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8 View Post
Well based on your logic then yes, because most N55 owners actually go over 100k with no engine issues.

Again, a few documented failures means nothing when you consider the hundreds of thousands of N55's built.
what about all the dealer cases which are not documented and the cases reported by people on this forum that own shops that see them all the time ?

Its easy to ignore all that.. its convenient. I get it but i personally decided not to ignore and i do think there is more to the story.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 03:26 PM   #178
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
what about all the dealer cases which are not documented and the cases reported by people on this forum that own shops that see them all the time ?

Its easy to ignore all that.. its convenient. I get it but i personally decided not to ignore and i do think there is more to the story.
Please post a link to this dealer and indy shop data. People can say whatever they want, MMP is a perfect example, they claim N55's are popping like crazy and then when pushed for data it's actually two or three that they claim to have had a hand in rebuilding. If they even did at all that is, considering supposedly they don't even do their own work. But even if they saw a hundred blown N55's, statistically it would mean nothing and then when you actually did a forensic examination of these blown engines (which no one really is) that number would mean even less once the failure mode was identified.

It's like Ghassan, they post a pic of a broken N55 crank with no details as to how it broke, and 90% of the N5X idiots are parroting on and on about how N55's break cranks. Click bait works.

But you can choose not to ignore and dream up whatever stats you want, that doesn't mean there is a problem with the engine. My guess is that it is more of a problem between the drivers seat and the steering wheel.

Last edited by 9krpmrx8; 03-11-2019 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 03:53 PM   #179
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Please post a link to this dealer and indy shop data. People can say whatever they want, MMP is a perfect example, they claim N55's are popping like crazy and then when pushed for data it's actually two or three that they claim to have had a hand in rebuilding. If they even did at all that is, considering supposedly they don't even do their own work. But even if they saw a hundred blown N55's, statistically it would mean nothing and then when you actually did a forensic examination of these blown engines (which no one really is) that number would mean even less once the failure mode was identified.

It's like Ghassan, they post a pic of a broken N55 crank with no details as to how it broke, and 90% of the N5X idiots are parroting on and on about how N55's break cranks. Click bait works.

But you can choose not to ignore and dream up whatever stats you want, that doesn't mean there is a problem with the engine. My guess is that it is more of a problem between the drivers seat and the steering wheel.
I hope ur right i really do.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #180
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:

I would like to add that some actual BMW Techs on Reddit say that new N55 are "back ordered" because a lot of N55s go RIP, especially on the X5s.

And the reason the SIB priming came out is to make sure the tech did it and to not blame it on the dealer but the engine instead because when they prime the engine it will throw a code eventually, and that code is then use to determine if the engine failure is because of tech or just the engine went RIP for unknown reasons which we are still un sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 04:06 PM   #181
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Sorry 9k, but these engines ARE blowing up left and right. Many of the names of guys that had been actively posting since I joined have all of a sudden stopped posting. And now there is a new crew, 4 of which regularly post on this very thread, each hoping that if they see enough bearing snapshots with minimal wear it will somehow minimize the odds of it happening to them. No offense intended there. It all was documented on the spreadsheet someone started a few months ago. Many now probably don't bother to add to the sheet due to frustration over the whole thing. I've got to know, what personal thing happened between you and MMP? You seem to have a hard on for them. I really don't give a shit if you want to now trash me at every chance. Have at it. In a week or so I'll have a buffer on this problem. If you continue to debate the cause and ignore patching it your engine will more than likely give it up, and it will neither be MMP's or Ozzie335i's fault. BTW, i am going with their bearings. Yes, someone else probably makes them. From what I have read I am going to increase the clearence by .0005. We've all got choices, we can either keep looking at photos and praying, or take action. For now I'd prefer not to fly on a 737 max, but that is me.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 05:23 PM   #182
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post

The point he is making is that they pale in comparison to the overall population of N55s. Using what car enthusiasts post on forums and an unidentifiable/unverifiable number of dealer cases is not an accurate way to sample how widespread an issue is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I would like to add that some actual BMW Techs on Reddit say that new N55 are "back ordered" because a lot of N55s go RIP, especially on the X5s.
I would take anything someone says on Reddit with an extremely tiny grain of salt.

Last edited by Welcome to NBA Jam; 03-11-2019 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 05:38 PM   #183
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
I would take anything someone says on Reddit with an extremely tiny grain of salt.
Yes but not on a niche community like /r/BmwTech/
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 06:23 PM   #184
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
For now I'd prefer not to fly on a 737 max, but that is me.
lets solve Boeing fails too while we are at it hahahahahhah

Those engines need new bearings ozzie
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 08:25 PM   #185
TZANIDO777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i, 2015 F15 X5 35D

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Video of the noise. You can hear two noises one louder than the other. One being a loud almost pop. Its happening more than just one time now but seems to be in the same spots during each rotation.

Any have any thoughts?

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 06:23 AM   #186
The Silver Slammer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90

I'm starting to be more of a believer in the design flaw theory now after watching BMW tech take apart a S55 and compare it with the N55. The common issues and reasons they have issues, different issues than each other.

S55 crank hub issues in conjunction with water pump (mechanical on S55) and oil suppy/sump pick up location and reason for oil starvation on N55 as apposed to S55.

Please watch and read the closed captions, don't just watch cause it has 2 german guys taking apart an awesome M3 engine.
2019 X7 XDRIVE 40I - Wife's
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 06:24 AM   #187
The Silver Slammer
Private First Class
Rep

At 6 minutes into the video they look at oil pickup locations.

Last edited by The Silver Slammer; 03-12-2019 at 06:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 07:36 AM   #188
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver Slammer View Post
At 6 minutes into the video they look at oil pickup locations.

I am not sure what you're trying to get at... The bearings they pulled out of the S55 were worn more then they would've like to have seen too, right? So, what is this oil design flaw in the N55 you see based on the video?

Yes, the oil pickup is terrible on the N5x... and all BMWs going forward. It's a street car not a race car. Very few , if any, cars come with deep sumps, baffles, dual pickups, or dry sumps. It's not just BMW. You usually have to buy the highest trim engines to get a track ready oiling system (even on the LS engines). A basic n5x is not a race engine. That is why the S engines exist lol. It should be common sense that a street car doesn't need a dry sump... Their comments on N5x oiling issues was in the context of "motorsports." It happened to my N55. Pickup ran dry in a corner and the entire bottom end rotating assembly got cooked. We could definitely use a deeper oil pan, and S55 oiling system retrofit, a baffle, or some other solution for road-course work, but, I don't think that has much to do with any purported widespread N55 bearing issues on street cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 08:01 AM   #189
The Silver Slammer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
I am not sure what you're trying to get at... The bearings they pulled out of the S55 were worn more then they would've like to have seen too, right? So, what is this oil design flaw in the N55 you see based on the video?

Yes, the oil pickup is terrible on the N5x... and all BMWs going forward. It's a street car not a race car. Very few , if any, cars come with deep sumps, baffles, dual pickups, or dry sumps. It's not just BMW. You usually have to buy the highest trim engines to get a track ready oiling system (even on the LS engines). A basic n5x is not a race engine. That is why the S engines exist lol. It should be common sense that a street car doesn't need a dry sump... Their comments on N5x oiling issues was in the context of "motorsports." It happened to my N55. Pickup ran dry in a corner and the entire bottom end rotating assembly got cooked. We could definitely use a deeper oil pan, and S55 oiling system retrofit, a baffle, or some other solution for road-course work, but, I don't think that has much to do with any purported widespread N55 bearing issues on street cars.
I agree the N5x are street cars not track cars. But we tune them, and get all the performance stuff bolted onto them and even get the "track package" or "M Sport Package" or "Sports Package" from BMW and treat them like a race car, then wonder why these things happen. THIS IS WHY. Seems like people are pointing at all kinds of other things.

The lesson I found here was keep a close eye on the oil level, frequent oil changes and don't drive it hard for very long. I don't believe this happens just once, but over a long period of time, running them hot, running them low on oil, then at the same time driving them like a sports sedan that they are while they're hot and low on oil. I guess that would be common sense.
Appreciate 2
      03-12-2019, 08:53 AM   #190
9krpmrx8
Rep

Smile

Quote:

And the reason the SIB priming came out is to make sure the tech did it and to not blame it on the dealer but the engine instead because when they prime the engine it will throw a code eventually, and that code is then use to determine if the engine failure is because of tech or just the engine went RIP for unknown reasons which we are still un sure.
I just asked a buddy who is a BMW tech at our local dealer. We have spoken before about it and he has replaced a few over the years. A few, and he has also replaced a few N20's, N63's, etc. He said he was unaware of any back orders on the N55. He did say most of the N55's replaced were on X5's, but that they were not allowed to tear the engines apart so they never know the failure mode, and the maintenance histories were largely unknown. He did say one was a low mileage car that they serviced, but that is just one. And lets remember, just about anyone can become a BMW tech so taking technical advice from them is tricky at best. My buddy is a decent tech and a pretty smart guy, but he was hired straight out the Army with no mechanical experience so he is learning as he goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
Sorry 9k, but these engines ARE blowing up left and right. Many of the names of guys that had been actively posting since I joined have all of a sudden stopped posting. And now there is a new crew, 4 of which regularly post on this very thread, each hoping that if they see enough bearing snapshots with minimal wear it will somehow minimize the odds of it happening to them. No offense intended there. It all was documented on the spreadsheet someone started a few months ago. Many now probably don't bother to add to the sheet due to frustration over the whole thing. I've got to know, what personal thing happened between you and MMP? You seem to have a hard on for them. I really don't give a shit if you want to now trash me at every chance. Have at it. In a week or so I'll have a buffer on this problem. If you continue to debate the cause and ignore patching it your engine will more than likely give it up, and it will neither be MMP's or Ozzie335i's fault. BTW, i am going with their bearings. Yes, someone else probably makes them. From what I have read I am going to increase the clearence by .0005. We've all got choices, we can either keep looking at photos and praying, or take action. For now I'd prefer not to fly on a 737 max, but that is me.

10 people with failures does not equate to "left and right". If you want to be delusional, then so be it. And it's your car, you can do what you want, so if you want to listen to a bunch of wannabe engineers on the internet then
      03-12-2019, 10:50 AM   #191
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

If we want to be more accurate with our terminology, then you could say that your car may be at risk of rod bearing failure if it is model year 2011. That's about the absolute most we can confidently say with no concrete number behind it. If your car may be at risk, then doing extra precautionary things like priming the oil system after an OFHG change or doing oil analyses every year/other oil change would be low-cost, high-value options.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #192
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
If we want to be more accurate with our terminology, then you could say that your car may be at risk of rod bearing failure if it is model year 2011. That's about the absolute most we can confidently say with no concrete number behind it. If your car may be at risk, then doing extra precautionary things like priming the oil system after an OFHG change or doing oil analyses every year/other oil change would be low-cost, high-value options.
Nonsense. why do you continue to ignore that the cars posted in all of these threads vary significantly across production years, model years, and manufacturing regions? We've seen 2010 build dates through 2018 build dates post up rod bearing failures (im only talking about n55 failures). And then again consider that examples of accelerated bearing wear is seen on every engine built in the past 20 years lol... how is this a 2011 issue?

The only thing that still shows any correlation to me is the OFHG. As odd as it sounds there really does seem to be instances where people''s engines seize within an hour of doing the gasket for whatever reason...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 11:05 AM   #193
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
seen on every engine built in the past 20 years lol... how is this a 2011 issue?

The only thing that still shows any correlation to me is the OFHG. As odd as it sounds there really does seem to be instances where people''s engines seize within an hour of doing the gasket for whatever reason...
Well it seems this issue only happens to model year 2011 cars. I've yet to find a post were the engine shits the bed after OFHG and the car isn't a 2011 MY.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 11:12 AM   #194
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well it seems this issue only happens to model year 2011 cars. I've yet to find a post were the engine shits the bed after OFHG and the car isn't a 2011 MY.
Really? look harder because you've posted in every single thread where one has been posted. Jeez. And for the millionth time this N55 forum is literally almost exclusively MY 2011 cars. There are other forums you know... Look at the "drives" section of every active member in this N55 section just about all of us are driving 2011 N55's.

omg look a 2012 that seized after an OFHG: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1582839

omg and guess what it's an X3 and not an X5. Oh and even further look it's not on this forum!?

OHHH EMMM GEEE and the holy grail of GOOGLE finds... https://www.reddit.com/r/E90/comment...ay_on_the_way/

AN N54 THAT SEIZED AFTER AN OFHG JOB.

oh not wait... what was I thinking... this only happens to 2011 N55's. MY BAD derailing the thread guys... carry on.

Last edited by bbnks2; 03-12-2019 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 11:20 AM   #195
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Right this interesting video clearly states what the problem is: the fact that the N55 is lacking an oil priming pump function in the system thus allowing some air clog to happen in certain situations.

The question is, does the N55 use same oil pump/oil delivery/oil pickup system as the N54?
      03-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #196
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Really? look harder because you've posted in every single thread where one has been posted. Jeez. And for the millionth time this N55 forum is literally almost exclusively MY 2011 cars. There are other forums you know... Look at the "drives" section of every active member in this N55 section just about all of us are driving 2011 N55's.

lwgrenier was a 2011

rich_mane was a 2011

MartinWake was a 2011

MartinWake was a 2011

AydenBensink has knocking on a 2011 after OFHG

Those who I mention or anyone else please correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I recall and have read.

Quote:
Look at the "drives" section of every active member in this N55 section just about all of us are driving 2011 N55's.
Oh, okay then I agree that doesn't help and focus more on 2011.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 11:23 AM   #197
9krpmrx8
Rep

OMG, 5 whole people? That's astounding.
      03-12-2019, 11:26 AM   #198
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
OMG, 5 whole people? That's astounding.
There is much more on the FB groups from what I gathered to.

But whatever I have a N54 so I'm safe. It's just what I see.
Appreciate 0