E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > BMW 328i (E90) uneven acceleration

11-23-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
supercharger
Rep
Drives: 2019 328i

Angry BMW 328i (E90) uneven acceleration

I own a 2009 BMW 328i with 130,000 miles. When I accelerate slowly on a level surface the car does not accelerate smoothly. That is, I feel a staggered or jerky acceleration. I started noticing it about 5,000 miles ago thinking that the problem could be bad fuel. I always use Chevron Techron high test / premium fuel from a busy gas station so I ruled the fuel problem out. BMW replaced one bad coil and plug (number 4) about 5,000 miles ago and the car ran well after that. Also BMW: did an oil change, replaced the air filter and replaced the valve cover gasket. They found no vacuum leaks. I'm thinking about replacing all coils and all plugs at the same time. It would be expensive and I'm wondering if that would solve the problem. If I replace the coils what type? Bosch? Delphi? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 05:30 PM   #2
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercharger View Post
I own a 2009 BMW 328i with 130,000 miles. When I accelerate slowly on a level surface the car does not accelerate smoothly. That is, I feel a staggered or jerky acceleration. I started noticing it about 5,000 miles ago thinking that the problem could be bad fuel. I always use Chevron Techron high test / premium fuel from a busy gas station so I ruled the fuel problem out. BMW replaced one bad coil and plug (number 4) about 5,000 miles ago and the car ran well after that. Also BMW: did an oil change, replaced the air filter and replaced the valve cover gasket. They found no vacuum leaks. I'm thinking about replacing all coils and all plugs at the same time. It would be expensive and I'm wondering if that would solve the problem. If I replace the coils what type? Bosch? Delphi? Thank you.
Is it across all rpms or just up to a certain rpm range? I am having a similar sensation but only up to like 3k rpm and think it might be the transfer case. Not sure if you have an XI.
      11-30-2020, 11:06 AM   #3
supercharger
Rep
Drives: 2019 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalex17 View Post
Is it across all rpms or just up to a certain rpm range? I am having a similar sensation but only up to like 3k rpm and think it might be the transfer case. Not sure if you have an XI.
I have a 2009 BMW 328i E90. The only time I feel the "jerky" or uneven acceleration is when I accelerate from a stop. There is no problem accelerating from 20mph upward.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 02:07 PM   #4
theMeeks
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i X-Drive

Had a similar issue, was most noticable from a stop to 3k rpm. No codes, but turned out to be a coil. Replaced all 6 plus and coils while I was at it and no more issues. I used Bosch.
Appreciate 0