E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Wheel and tire protection vs insurance and patching tires

08-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is E92

Wheel and tire protection vs insurance and patching tires

I got quoted $2000 for 5 years of wheel and tire protection. I'm running the oem Bridgestone rft's on 19's. The roads here are pretty shitty. I just called up my insurance progressive and they said that wheel damage would be covered under collision. I just pay a $250 deductible when my wheel cracks. As far as tires, I'll just pay $20 to get them patched up. Eventually I'll switch to Michelin PSS and get the road hazard insurance from discount tires for $250.

What do you think of this alternative to the bmw protection plan? I really don't wanna shell out $2000. The dealer originally quoted me $2500 but I got him down.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
hockeyplayer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2006 325xi

how about just getting rid of the run flats?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
brewnami
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i M Sport Coupe

Hell no. For $2,000 you could find yourself a nice set of forged wheels with tires on this forum. I'm originally from the Northeast and I've never once bent a wheel or blew out a tire while I drove cars lowered on coilovers so I'd be pissed if I threw away 2 grand. Most places you buy tires from will warranty them anyways which I think at Town Fair Tire I use to pay like $10-$15 per tire and that will cover tires that cannot be repaired as well. As for the wheels, If I was rolling on expensive wheels, I'd just pay the $250 deductible if I messed one up.
2009 335i M Sport coupe, BSM with black/aluminum interior, 6MT, JB4 G5, MDH Backend Flash, Walbro 255 inline LPFP, VRSF Inlets, BMS 3" catless DP's, Borla Aggressive catback, ER FMIC, ER charge pipe, Tial BOV, BMS 2.3 gal Meth Kit, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, Ported CDV, RB PCV, Cyba ram air scoops, Status Gruppe SRS coilovers, ECS trailing arms, Forgestar F14 SDC.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Hell no.
You can buy a set of Apex wheels and get some non-runflats for a little more.

If you kill a tire or wheel, it's time to upgrade.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Buddy hit a pothole so bad it bruised the crap out of his tire to the extent of replacement, but didn't damage the wheel. Considering I could buy two sets of OEM tires with a few hundred bucks left over to replace a rim, I don't think I'd take the bait. I HAVE had one hole plugged so far, bolt gave me a slow leak. It's held up fine for at least 6mo so far.

Consider that, ignoring catastrophic road damage, either of the sets of tires that $2k could buy you should last almost as long as the coverage itself.

Does the plan cover replacement for normal wear?
      08-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #6
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

What everyone fails to realize is an OEM rim is 750 average- if it's a lease then don't bother, you'll never get ROI in time. If buying the car, then definitely invest in rim and tire protection.

As others said, ditch the run flats, and get some tires you'll actually enjoy the car with. With the RFTs, you'll definitely get your money's worth too, because you'll be bubbling sidewalls left and right, and those 300$ plus RFTs add up quick.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #7
brewnami
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
What everyone fails to realize is an OEM rim is 750 average- if it's a lease then don't bother, you'll never get ROI in time. If buying the car, then definitely invest in rim and tire protection.

As others said, ditch the run flats, and get some tires you'll actually enjoy the car with. With the RFTs, you'll definitely get your money's worth too, because you'll be bubbling sidewalls left and right, and those 300$ plus RFTs add up quick.
Sure, but you'd have to be some special kind of stupid to buy a new wheel at a dealer. $750 will get you a mint set of OEM M3/M5/M6 wheels with no tires. A $250 POSSIBLE deductible for catastrophic road damage to the wheels sounds better than $2,000 JUST IN CASE. Been driving 12 years and have never needed to replace a wheel due to damage incurred while driving, 11 of those years lowered with no more than 40 series tires. I sold my good condition OEM M Sport 18's with tires for $400. If you would rather spend $2,000 and most likely never end up needing it, then to each their own... I'll spend the $2,000 and make the car FBO. $360 VRSF DPs, $600 JB4 and DCI, $450 VRSF FMIC, $170 VRSF charge pipe brings you to $1,580 and leaves you with $420 to buy a set like my M Sport wheels with tires.
2009 335i M Sport coupe, BSM with black/aluminum interior, 6MT, JB4 G5, MDH Backend Flash, Walbro 255 inline LPFP, VRSF Inlets, BMS 3" catless DP's, Borla Aggressive catback, ER FMIC, ER charge pipe, Tial BOV, BMS 2.3 gal Meth Kit, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, Ported CDV, RB PCV, Cyba ram air scoops, Status Gruppe SRS coilovers, ECS trailing arms, Forgestar F14 SDC.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

I just prefer OEM rims to be honest.

I've never cracked one (though I've slightly bent a few) in the 10 years I've had bimmers (with 19s 5 months out of the year on two) and I drive on some of the shittiest, pothole laden roads in the Tri-state. For me, that speaks to the quality and strength of OEM for me, so I'll stick with them.

That said, it's worth it for me to have the rim and tire protection on the car- it has already paid for over five tires that blew out there sidewalls during 2 rough winters - at around 200 or so apiece- and I plan on keeping this car for quite a few years longer.

Everyone has their own values and priorities so I guess just do what works for you in the end.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #9
DJtoad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

My dealer gave me the same pitch and showed me the stack of rims in the shop ready to go out for repair. I guess I was young and stupid at the time (ok, maybe young not so much) but I did it. My five years is up next month and I never used it. $2K down the drain, although I will say I have 18" wheels and ditched the runflats immediately so that may have helped.
      08-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #10
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewnami View Post
Sure, but you'd have to be some special kind of stupid to buy a new wheel at a dealer. $750 will get you a mint set of OEM M3/M5/M6 wheels with no tires.
Granted, I live in a huge market and don't have the highest end wheels, but I can find very nearly an identical set of wheels, tires, and sensors (oem, same style, ContiSportContact instead of ContiProContact) for $450 asking, same treadwear as I've got now.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...626166953.html

They're so cheap I'm considering whether to pick up a set of 16"ers for dirt to put winters on for ski season.
      08-19-2014, 09:18 PM   #11
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hell no. For $2,000 you could find yourself a nice set of forged wheels with tires on this forum. I'm originally from the Northeast and I've never once bent a wheel or blew out a tire while I drove cars lowered on coilovers so I'd be pissed if I threw away 2 grand. Most places you buy tires from will warranty them anyways which I think at Town Fair Tire I use to pay like $10-$15 per tire and that will cover tires that cannot be repaired as well. As for the wheels, If I was rolling on expensive wheels, I'd just pay the $250 deductible if I messed one up.
What size were your wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Buddy hit a pothole so bad it bruised the crap out of his tire to the extent of replacement, but didn't damage the wheel. Considering I could buy two sets of OEM tires with a few hundred bucks left over to replace a rim, I don't think I'd take the bait. I HAVE had one hole plugged so far, bolt gave me a slow leak. It's held up fine for at least 6mo so far.

Consider that, ignoring catastrophic road damage, either of the sets of tires that $2k could buy you should last almost as long as the coverage itself.

No it doesn't cover wear.

Quote:

I've never cracked one (though I've slightly bent a few) in the 10 years I've had bimmers (with 19s 5 months out of the year on two) and I drive on some of the shittiest, pothole laden roads in the Tri-state. For me, that speaks to the quality and strength of OEM for me, so I'll stick with them.

That said, it's worth it for me to have the rim and tire protection on the car- it has already paid for over five tires that blew out there sidewalls during 2 rough winters - at around 200 or so apiece- and I plan on keeping this car for quite a few years longer.

Everyone has their own values and priorities so I guess just do what works for you in the end.
The tires that blew out, were they non-rft's?

After doing some more reading, it seems like non-rft's not only have a better ride, but you can patch it up unlike rft's. Also, the rim is less likely to get damaged because its softer.

I've decided to skip it. If my wheel cracks, ill either get it repaired, buy a replica, or have my insurance take care of it. If I get a flat on my rft, im just gonna switch them all out for non-rft and get the road hazard protection when I buy them.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #12
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyardDogg View Post
Totally not worth it then, you'd have to have multiple massive failures for it to pay off. I'm sure there are people who HAVE, but I can't imagine it's even as common for the deal to payoff as extended vehicle warranties.

Quote:
After doing some more reading, it seems like non-rft's not only have a better ride, but you can patch it up unlike rft's.
I don't know where this "can't patch RFTs" crap comes from. The dealer will say that, but obviously they will. There are incidents in particular that can't be patched or plugged safely, but there are also plenty that can. I've had a plug in my RFT for quite some time with no issues, I'll let you know if it explodes and takes my rear end with it.
      08-19-2014, 09:36 PM   #13
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyardDogg
Quote:
What size were your wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post

Quote:

The tires that blew out, were they non-rft's?

After doing some more reading, it seems like non-rft's not only have a better ride, but you can patch it up unlike rft's. Also, the rim is less likely to get damaged because its softer.

I've decided to skip it. If my wheel cracks, ill either get it repaired, buy a replica, or have my insurance take care of it. If I get a flat on my rft, im just gonna switch them all out for non-rft and get the road hazard protection when I buy them.
Hey bud, three were Michelin Alpin PA4 winter 18"s and two were Michelin PSS 19" summers.

NY and NJ potholes from hell hard at work!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 10:31 PM   #14
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hey bud, three were Michelin Alpin PA4 winter 18"s and two were Michelin PSS 19" summers.

NY and NJ potholes from hell hard at work!
Damn..im planning to get the PSS's too
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 04:33 AM   #15
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

You'll be fine. They are great tires. Just bad luck and shitty judgement early on for me. I've become pretty good at pothole avoidance since then
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 05:50 AM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Insurance is a financial mechanism to protect yourself from unabridged liabilities that would ruin your financial situation, which is why one carries collision, medical, and death auto insurance. The concept of "self insure" comes up as a line where it is more affordable for a person to pay out of pocket based upon the risk of have such an occurrence. In the case of damage to wheels and tires, the risk is high, however the liability is low and it is a known fixed cost (i.e. you know how much wheels and tires cost). It makes no sense to buy insurance on a consumable item such as tires. As your insurance company said wheels are covered in collision (and comprehensive) coverage. The deductible you chose is $250, which is about half the cost of an OE wheel. You can lower your deductible to $100 if you are concerned about that and it would probably would not cost you $400 additional in insurance price. Or leave it at $250.

The issue really is if one can't self insure for a possible $750 damage liability in the oft chance he may damage a wheel and tire once and a while, then one should really consider if they can afford to own and use an automobile.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 06:35 AM   #17
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh
Insurance is a financial mechanism to protect yourself from unabridged liabilities that would ruin your financial situation, which is why one carries collision, medical, and death auto insurance. The concept of "self insure" comes up as a line where it is more affordable for a person to pay out of pocket based upon the risk of have such an occurrence. In the case of damage to wheels and tires, the risk is high, however the liability is low and it is a known fixed cost (i.e. you know how much wheels and tires cost). It makes no sense to buy insurance on a consumable item such as tires. As your insurance company said wheels are covered in collision (and comprehensive) coverage. The deductible you chose is $250, which is about half the cost of an OE wheel. You can lower your deductible to $100 if you are concerned about that and it would probably would not cost you $400 additional in insurance price. Or leave it at $250.

The issue really is if one can't self insure for a possible $750 damage liability in the oft chance he may damage a wheel and tire once and a while, then one should really consider if they can afford to own and use an automobile.
Last paragraph nails it. Exactly what I was feeling, but you said it perfectly brother.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #18
brewnami
Major
Rep

[QUOTE=JunkyardDogg;16495423]What size were your wheels?

18" on two Audis and 19" on two BMWs.

At the end of the day, if spending 2 grand makes you sleep better at night, go for it. I just wanted to share my personal experience and that is of course different than what other's may have experienced. Dark Knight 335 has already stated that he has never had to replace a wheel, just 5 tires which would be covered under a separate warranty you can purchase when you get new tires that does not cost anywhere near $2,000, but more like $15 per tire and that will cover all the blow outs you can ever dream of!

Last edited by brewnami; 08-20-2014 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #19
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

I didn't spend 2,000 either, far less- can't actually remember

I hear ya man - it's a tough call because everyone has a different idea on what they need or don't need, or what they want to buy or not buy LOL
Appreciate 0