E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Can anybody retrofit paddle shift into my non paddleshift 330d E90?

11-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

Can anybody retrofit paddle shift into my non paddleshift 330d E90?

Only thing that bothers me about the car is not having paddle shift. 2006 models and some early 07 did not get them in the 330d. after that they became standard and i can see online they can be fitted but this stuff is way out of my league

Can anybody do this? ill get all the parts just need fitting etc and wiring.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
MartianSun
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 318i M Sport

In regards to paddle shifts, is that only for automatics, or manual owners can get it too?

(apologise if it sounds silly, but I have no idea)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianSun
In regards to paddle shifts, is that only for automatics, or manual owners can get it too?

(apologise if it sounds silly, but I have no idea)
Only autos
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
Robin330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
Only thing that bothers me about the car is not having paddle shift. 2006 models and some early 07 did not get them in the 330d. after that they became standard and i can see online they can be fitted but this stuff is way out of my league

Can anybody do this? ill get all the parts just need fitting etc and wiring.
I have done it to my car.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813869
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
MartianSun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza01 View Post
Only autos
Thought so, and cheers for that.

I thought it wouldn't be that much of a different if fitted on manuals (if it was possible) because you'd still have to depress the clutch; (a wild guess)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianSun View Post
Thought so, and cheers for that.

I thought it wouldn't be that much of a different if fitted on manuals (if it was possible) because you'd still have to depress the clutch; (a wild guess)
how would the gear shifter move then?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Wow would really love this mod. Having come from a E46 M3 SMG I do my paddles and have often "Flashed" the car in front as I attempt to change down

Anyone in Southampton area want to do mine just PM ME!! beer tokens available
      11-11-2014, 01:18 AM   #8
MartianSun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
how would the gear shifter move then?
I'm talking as though the paddle shifters would replace the gear shifter, so your hands never leave the steering wheel. (somehow )
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 02:58 AM   #9
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin330i View Post
do your paddles work when your in D mode? or for them to work do you have to shift over to D/S?

This seems to be a problem in US that some can use paddles in all modes and some can use them in only D/S mode when lever is pushed across to the left.

will you be interested in doing mine? think you can probably do a few on here that would want it done
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 05:37 AM   #10
Robin330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport

You have to move the shifter to D/S mode first to allow the paddles to work, i think you need to fit a newer module to allow the paddles to operate without having to move the shifter across.
      11-11-2014, 05:57 AM   #11
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Quote:
will you be interested in doing mine? think you can probably do a few on here that would want it done
Me Me Me! PLEASE!

Beer Tokens at the ready!!!!
      11-11-2014, 06:33 AM   #12
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin330i View Post
You have to move the shifter to D/S mode first to allow the paddles to work, i think you need to fit a newer module to allow the paddles to operate without having to move the shifter across.
thanks this is just the info i needed. any idea what sort of module we are talking about? i think moving the shifter over completely defeats the object IMO

appreciate your help.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #13
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
thanks this is just the info i needed. any idea what sort of module we are talking about? i think moving the shifter over completely defeats the object IMO

appreciate your help.
If you drive a car which has this factory fitted, you can change the gear in auto (d mode) manually by using paddles and display changes to M2, M3... or whatever the gear is.

However as soon as car senses that your are pulling at low revs or revs are high, it goes back to D (auto mode). Display changes to 'D'.

In order to operate it fully manual, you shift it to D/S mode. It goes into sports mode (dispaly is D/S) and then you use paddles to shift the gears (dispaly M2, 3....).

In that mode it sticks to manual mode.
Again, as soon as gearbox senses anything wrong (speed too low for the gear etc) it changes it accordingly but now it stays on M2, 3 or so on.

I have a done an experiment last week. I was cruising on motorway and put the car in manual mode. Purpose was to see if I accelerate from 60-70MPH, would it stick to manual mode and deactivates auto shitfting? Perhaps by doing that I can improve mpg.

As I am heavy footed so in D mode, car would normally downshift and accelerate quickly. That means mpg usually suffers.

So going from 60--->70MPH, it stayed in 6th gear and accelerate gently.
However on the other ocassion, car slowed to 50MPH due to traffic and when I tried to accelerate with heavy footed, it went down to 5th gear in manual mode and was displaying M5. I had to upshift it manually.

To summarise, ECU still overrides your poor driving habits if you are not paying attention.
      11-11-2014, 07:18 AM   #14
Dan-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335D, R6

cant help with the fitting, but on mine (08) and my dads (57) the paddles work in D shift up and down when you want if after a while you start to drive boring, slow it reverts back to eco auto gear changes
206 1.4, Sport Ka, 206 Gti, focus 1.8, Vectra 1.9 CDTi, Corsa 1.8 Sri, 206 Gti 180, Impreza Blobeye Sti Widetrack, Clio 172 Cup Track Car, E92 335D, Impreza Hatch STI, Evo IX FQ360MR, E92 M3 Competition
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 07:19 AM   #15
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
If you drive a car which has this factory fitted, you can change the gear in auto (d mode) manually by using paddles and display changes to M2, M3... or whatever the gear is.

However as soon as car senses that your are pulling at low revs or revs are high, it goes back to D (auto mode). Display changes to 'D'.

In order to operate it fully manual, you shift it to D/S mode. It goes into sports mode (dispaly is D/S) and then you use paddles to shift the gears (dispaly M2, 3....).

In that mode it sticks to manual mode.
Again, as soon as gearbox senses anything wrong (speed too low for the gear etc) it changes it accordingly but now it stays on M2, 3 or so on.

I have a done an experiment last week. I was cruising on motorway and put the car in manual mode. Purpose was to see if I accelerate from 60-70MPH, would it stick to manual mode and deactivates auto shitfting? Perhaps by doing that I can improve mpg.

As I am heavy footed so in D mode, car would normally downshift and accelerate quickly. That means mpg usually suffers.

So going from 60--->70MPH, it stayed in 6th gear and accelerate gently.
However on the other ocassion, car slowed to 50MPH due to traffic and when I tried to accelerate with heavy footed, it went down to 5th gear in manual mode and was displaying M5. I had to upshift it manually.

To summarise, ECU still overrides your poor driving habits if you are not paying attention.
thanks, im aware of this as i had the VW dsg option in my r32. but i want paddles to work in D. i used them quite often in my previous cars which had them so i have use for them. i know they revert back to fully auto once not used after so long but its real nice to have them, i hate using the old fashioned gear knob.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 07:20 AM   #16
themanthatcan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i MSport

Quote:

appreciate your help.
The thing is even if you are able to use the paddles in D, the gearbox is still in it's "lazy ass cruising" mode so doesn't hold the revs like it does in S mode. It also switches back to regular auto D mode shortly after you stop using the paddles.

It can be handy for a quick dowshift to overtake, but it's just as easy to knock the gearstick over to S and the 'box will downshift a couple of gears as soon as you stab the accellerator anyway and you have the full rev range available to you.

I have *never* used my paddles in D mode.
      11-11-2014, 07:21 AM   #17
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan- View Post
cant help with the fitting, but on mine (08) and my dads (57) the paddles work in D shift up and down when you want if after a while you start to drive boring, slow it reverts back to eco auto gear changes
any car with factory fitted paddles work standardly in D mode. if im correct you have 335d so it was always an option. some of us 330d owners pre late 2007 have no paddles. once we retrofit them, some only are usable in D/S mode and some are useable in D and D/S mode so i am trying to find out why this is.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #18
Dan-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335D, R6

Quote:
any car with factory fitted paddles work standardly in D mode. if im correct you have 335d so it was always an option. some of us 330d owners pre late 2007 have no paddles. once we retrofit them, some only are usable in D/S mode and some are useable in D and D/S mode so i am trying to find out why this is.
Yeah don't think it was an option it was just standard fitment, never seen 1 that doesn't have them fitted, cant help on why 330 are like that sorry
206 1.4, Sport Ka, 206 Gti, focus 1.8, Vectra 1.9 CDTi, Corsa 1.8 Sri, 206 Gti 180, Impreza Blobeye Sti Widetrack, Clio 172 Cup Track Car, E92 335D, Impreza Hatch STI, Evo IX FQ360MR, E92 M3 Competition
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #19
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
thanks, im aware of this as i had the VW dsg option in my r32. but i want paddles to work in D. i used them quite often in my previous cars which had them so i have use for them. i know they revert back to fully auto once not used after so long but its real nice to have them, i hate using the old fashioned gear knob.
Wisdom is blessing. And if used correctly then I do not see why you cannot achieve it. Good luck!

PS: I will leave you to research, make an action plan and implement it yourself.
      11-11-2014, 07:29 AM   #20
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan- View Post
Yeah don't think it was an option it was just standard fitment, never seen 1 that doesn't have them fitted, cant help on why 330 are like that sorry
2005-early 2006 these were additional options.
      11-11-2014, 07:30 AM   #21
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

OP, I thought you changed your car and hence your '335d' is up for sale.
      11-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #22
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
OP, I thought you changed your car and hence your '335d' is up for sale.
335d is up for sale my friend

but i have bought another 330d with many more extras than my one for sale. winter is coming and i needed heated seats etc so i got an 06 330d but no paddles. note. i did not only buy new car to have heated seats. it has more like front and back sensors electric seats folding mirrors factory xenons etc and nav. only thing missing is sunroof i think.
Appreciate 0