E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Could spare tire be hung from under neath the trunk?

11-30-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
BB_cuda
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Could spare tire be hung from under neath the trunk?

TorqueAddict, A question for you please sir. This is a tangent to the JR Auto Performance thread.

Yozh and I have had an alternate motive to pulling out all of the urea tank, etc. We want to use that space for a space tire ... some how.

I have checked on E90 328i under trunk plastic tub (p/n 51477148920) going in after the urea tanks are removed. It is still not big enough to hold our 25" diameter compact spare tire. I had even considered buying (2) of the 328i tubs and morphing them (i.e. fiberglass) together to have it be deep all the way across. The OEM tub is deep on passenger side and rather shallow on driver side (because the muffler is on driver side of a 328). Even the morphed 328 tub wouldn't hold the spare. It is just too large of diameter.

So, here goes a redneck idea. What if we stored the tire underneath like pickup trucks do? A small hole would be drilled into the plate that is on our 335D and a long threaded rod would be pushed down through the hole. Put the spare up through the threaded rod and use the E60 threaded wingnut thing to hold the spare against the flat plate from underneath. The OEM plate might need some reinforcement right around where threaded rod's bolt head would be impinging on it.

Back to the Torque-Addict question (since his tanks are all removed). Is this area all flat from underneath? Can you please take a picture of this area and post it? I wanted to make sure there was enough room for 25" diameter circle. I was planning to cut out a 25" cardboard template just to see if this would be too crowded up by the rear cross member. I have no idea where the two muffler less pipes would come by and still leave a 25" diameter clear area.
I would purchase an extra OEM plate and modify it with some reinforcement steel and the above mentioned hole would be drilled into it. I would possibly put a couple tack welds on the underneath area where bolt and plate touch… maybe a large diameter washer underneath a nut and tack those.

I went to salvage yard in Pasadena, TX. I found 4 or 5 E90 328i (4 sedans and 1 coupe). The front desk guy wouldn't sell me 2 of the tubs as he made a silly clai that it would hack u the quarter panel(s) and he sold those for $650 per side. e said he would need $350 per tub to recoupe hurting the quarter(s). This is silly BS. He simply wasn't listening to me nor familiar with how the plastic tub fits into the steel floor. I looked on getbmwparts and those tubs can be had for $32.94 each. I mention the salvage yard experience here as this would be a direct way for me to see underneath how the chassis is made if they let me pull out the tub and have a look. I won't know what I have under there until my tanks are removed. .... thus the TorqueAddict question. Thanks for reading my novel.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

I like your idea for sure. I also thought of just attaching two aluminum cross or parallel u-bars to hold the spare. Of course, until we remove the tanks, we would not know how much space id there. If someone had already pulled them and can check for us, that would be peachy. I did not know TqAddict had pulled his. One item to consider, is that aluminum underbelly trim, that is for sound insulation. Notice how it has dimples similar to a trim in a sound room. I know there is a piece that cover the tanks. Wonder if we can get a sheet of that stuff.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 11:16 PM   #3
TorqueAddict
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 - 335D

Hey BB_Cuda, I do not have my tanks pulled out, but they are drained and the associated hardware is disconnected. I earlier had a problem with the tank level sensor, and at that time it was pulled out to see if just the sensor can be replaced, but it was integrated in to the tank. Anyways, back to your question, the area is not flat, but is molded in the shape of the tank. It would be really hard to put a spare there, as the space is really tight.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

damn it I got the spare tire w/a Tire rack wheel cover and the bitch moves more than a hoe in the trunk
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
Si-335d
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d M Sport Coupe (Titanium)

My exhaust had rear boxes removed and there is quite a bit of space now, I may need to get the tape measure out at the weekend as I like this idea😃
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #6
BB_cuda
Colonel
Rep

photos from removal of access plate to DEF system

Photos are after I did work on underneath side and sorry no photos of what i did under there. Most of it was self explanatory though. There are two aluminum, dimpled covers. One is smaller and further forward inclosing the smaller tank that is active one. Other cover is larger.

I first removed the bolts for the aft/mid and forward brackets supporting the exhaust. E torx socket needed for aft ones, 13 mm for mids, and 19mm for forwards (just ahead of differential).

The shields themselves are secured by the approx 2" diameter screw plate things. they are barely not hand tight. I recall it was either a 10 mm or 12 mm that had to be used to back them off. After that you can spin off by hand. The forward shield had to be bent a little bit on driver side to be able to remove. Its easily bent back.

Aft shield much larger. Without taking exhaust off, I wasn't able to remove the aft shield. It was important to be down though as i will explain in a bit. There are several panel screws to remove outboard on passenger and driver sides. Then aft shield comes down and rests on the mufflers.
Upper black plate has long studs that protrude down through the passive tank (larger, further aft, and much flatter). I recall a 21mm socket was needed here from the bottom of the passive tank and above that large shield. This is why the aft shield has to be down some.

I made a mistake and started pulling on the black plate not knowing there was one more fastener to remove. On the passenger forwardish area of black plate is a bracket that hangs down with a nut on the end. The nut is secured to a plastic donut shaped tray that has wiring in it (yes a photo would have helped). Anyway, see the picture where i mistankely broke the bracket (6th photo)as i pulled on the plate and the nut was still tight. It just split the plastic bracket a little. I was able to reinstall okay.

Finally, you see the DEF stuff from the top. I snapped pictures of the top and bottom of the plate. I was interested in a spar (3rd photo)that is further aft than the cross member. It is ~20.5" forward of my uhaul cross member.

I measured 6 " down from bottom of this aft spar to bottom of the rear subframe.

My spare is ~25" in diameter so spare can't be brought up any higher than bottom of spar. I don't think removing the uhaul hitch will buy the extra 4.5". I think this will be okay as there looks to be enough room below spar and still have clearance higher than rear subframe. This will all only b possible if exhaust pipes (with mufflers gone) come across rear subrame and then immediatley go outboard, turn 90, and shoot straight for the exit holes in the rear valance panel. Another guy has a great shot of his customized pipes that I will need to immitate. All of this can't happen until all of the DEF system is removed.

VEry last photo is part number of plate. I would buy another and hack it to install the long threaded rod. I need to go back to junk yard and get the E60 spare tire hold down hardware where I got another spare recently ($40, what a deal, a new compact spare tire is >$100 alone).

My order of ops.
Jarek tune.
Remove DEF system
Modify rear exhaust
Modify rear plate to hang the spare
Install the spare.

I'm not 100% on this. If spare can't go there, at least the DEF mess will be out.
Attached Images

Last edited by BB_cuda; 12-12-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Great Analysis and thank you for going through the trouble of doing all of this. I'm looking forward to doing this.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Thanks for posting this.
      12-15-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

cant wait for the end results so I can do it myself
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 06:47 AM   #10
SFCM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

ARGHH!! i blew out my rear tire and maybe rim on a manhole cover that was popped up. happened tonight at 2am in the pouring rain, and no tow truck were available within the hour. had to Uber it home, now the 335d is parked on the street nowhere near my house. all because bmw decided we dont need a spare. cant wait to see where this thread goes, we need some kinda solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #11
BB_cuda
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF335DIESEL View Post
ARGHH!! i blew out my rear tire and maybe rim on a manhole cover that was popped up. happened tonight at 2am in the pouring rain, and no tow truck were available within the hour. had to Uber it home, now the 335d is parked on the street nowhere near my house. all because bmw decided we dont need a spare. cant wait to see where this thread goes, we need some kinda solution.
I'm guessing Uber=walked home? Best that the spare be in the trunk even though it takes up room until I get through my above order of operations list. I won't have this figured out for a couple months (at least not confirmed that it is a go).

I've always been concerned of destroying a runflat and therefore it provides no benefit beyond a normal go-flat tire. Your story is a perfect example.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #12
SFCM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Uber is car service, like a taxi, but not really a taxi. i was not on runflat, i was running my winter season contiprocontact, blew out a 1" chunk off the sidewall, hoping my rim survived(style 193m). searching for a good used 255/35/18 matching tire rite now on CL.

Had to barrow a junk 19" rim offa e46 with a 225/35/19 tire on the back....lets just say the torque of the D doesnt like that rear tire.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 12:32 PM   #13
BB_cuda
Colonel
Rep

Per the "lost 70 lb in one day thread", I finally removed the DEF tanks and lines. The entire exhaust had to be removed to get clearance for tanks to come down. The corrugated covers also needed exhaust out of the way to get them off (especially large passive tank cover). The spare tire was positioned on top of scissor jack with long 2x4 under it. A cement cinder block was used to boost height of the scissor jack. The spare was jacked up into place and driver/passenger side centered. In previous posts, I mentioned a structural spar running from driver to passenger side aft of the suspension sub frame. The spare is too large of diameter to fit behind the spar. So, the spare's rubber underlays the spar. This causes the spare to not sit flat with a forward tilt to it.

This was a mock up to see if it really is feasible to do this with 3 success criteria
a) can't see spare hanging down below the rear valance panel if looking at flat angle
b) can exhausts be run around the tire without touching it
c) can the spare be removed/put back with exhausts in place.

Before you think I'm looney, I'm referring to as yet installed custom exhaust. There will only be room for simple pipes to port and stbd of the tire. I looked down the exhaust tip cutouts and see a clear path. I'm uncertain about exhausts being able to pass around tire when going under cross member. It depends how low the pipes would be. I should have taken a measurement before pulling exhaust system. Picture of this mockup from different angles will be added in soon. It was late last night when I finally got spare into place.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 12:48 PM   #14
rulonger
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

You mention a structural spar that blocks the tire from laying flat. So what is this spar you speak of? Is there space above the spar, say if we were to recess the trunk floor and create a wheel well (after SCR tank removal)?

On a side note: Where I live, spar and spare are pronounced the same
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 01:47 PM   #15
BB_cuda
Colonel
Rep

Borrowing a photo that caraudio took and put in the "lost 70 lb thread". I have pointed to what I'm calling a spar. I use the term from aircraft industry as in "wing spar". I don't know if it would be feasible to build a box that attaches to bottom of trunk floor but I do know the opening is not long enough for spare to go through unless at an angle. The box's fore to aft dimension would have to extend past the spar and nearly or virtually touch the suspension cross member. I'm trying to keep it simple by doing the under hanging approach.
Attached Images

Last edited by BB_cuda; 07-22-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Appreciate 2
      07-03-2015, 10:25 PM   #16
BB_cuda
Colonel
Rep

Here are photos of today's effort. The nuts were spotted welded on top and bottom to both the plate and the stud. Welds were ground down and painted. A ~6.25" steel plate was cut with jig saw and painted. Rubber was glued to disc on upper face. Tire, disc, and wing nut were installed. I took a few photos after install. First one is view straight level with rear valance. Just as I'd hoped, you can't see the tire. The next one is taken down lower to show where it is relative to the black subframe and rear diff. Last two are showing where I hope each exhaust will pass and clear the tire. First one is passenger side and last one is drivers side. Depending on how much hassle it is, I will remove the DEF line (seen hanging in several of the shots) that runs all the way up to the metering valve location.

That last picture shows the jack stands I bought from Fred at Reverse Logic. I mention these as they work well for me and they have a custom head on them that fits perfectly up into our jack points. The bottom of chassis is 15" above garage floor. I just started the waste gate porting chore and the stands give me plenty of room for the task. Hey, I'd love to have access to a lift but this works for me.
Attached Images

Last edited by BB_cuda; 07-03-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2015, 07:55 AM   #17
Built4Sin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d Sport

Garage List
2009 BMW 335D  [4.50]
2014 Audi Q7 TDI  [0.00]
Looks awesome Cuda! Great work
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 12:41 PM   #18
BB_cuda
Colonel
Rep

The news keeps getting better. At shop getting the wrap around the spare exhausts custom built. I mentioned to the tech about having to remove the uhaul hitch to get tire under there. He encouraged me to bring the hitch in today since I was bringing other parts anyway. The hitch fits behind the spare and there is the thickness of fingers gap in between so this isn't a shoehorn fit. The bike rack can go on with spare still under. I'm psyched!!
Attached Images

Last edited by BB_cuda; 07-15-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Appreciate 3
      07-17-2015, 02:03 AM   #19
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

This is epic. Thank You.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 06:09 AM   #20
BB_cuda
Colonel
Rep

Yes, I've done it :D

Project has mostly been completed other than some closeout work. I want to use pieces of the corrugated passive tank cover to closeout the pump area. I will add that in later to this thread.

Meanwhile, exhaust shop finished the job Friday. Here are pics that most of you will recognize the mid pipe and forepipe areas. The back area is one of a kind (for now?). Lastly, with car on the ground you cant see the spare and only see the pipes coming under the diff. The clam shell mufflers are easily visible on the OEM exhaust. I can lay on my back and slide under rear of car to remove the spare.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 06:51 AM   #21
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Nice!

What are you going to do with all the free time you'll have now that you're not working on the car all the time?
      07-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #22
fsd350
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d

Garage List
Nice work Cuda. Really turned out great!
Appreciate 0