E90Post
 


Extreme Powerhouse
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Cost to replace windshield?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-18-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
221
Rep
3,987
Posts

Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (7)

Cost to replace windshield?

I recently got my whole front end restored-- new headlights, hood, bumper painted etc.. My windshield has a lot of pitting, what is the cost of a new windshield. OEM or aftermarket. I have rain sensors and the car is a 335i sedan.

Anyone get it done recently?
__________________
Alpine White M-Sport F30
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
princelybug
Second Lieutenant
princelybug's Avatar
South Korea
58
Rep
227
Posts

Drives: '11 LBM E90 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Orange, CA

iTrader: (6)

Same car as mine. I recently replaced my windshield with a Pilkington unit without the BMW logo. $300 installed.
__________________
'11 LBM E90 335i M-Sport (Current)
'12 AWP II MDX Tech (Hers)
'07 NBP TL Type-S 6MT (Sold)

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
221
Rep
3,987
Posts

Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelybug View Post
Same car as mine. I recently replaced my windshield with a Pilkington unit without the BMW logo. $300 installed.
WOW! not bad at all. Going to get one asap!
__________________
Alpine White M-Sport F30
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
paintballdude05
Second Lieutenant
paintballdude05's Avatar
Canada
19
Rep
202
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sudbury, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Does anybody have a rough idea how much it is for a BMW windshield?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 06:31 AM   #5
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.
NGEE's Avatar
619
Rep
2,353
Posts

Drives: 13 135is; 07 335i; 99 328is
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Not Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat.Sleep.Race View Post
I recently got my whole front end restored-- new headlights, hood, bumper painted etc..
Jelly
__________________
2013 E82 135is DCT; 2007 E90 335i Step; 1998 E36 328is 5sp MT
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 06:56 AM   #6
cotmfk
Major General
cotmfk's Avatar
911
Rep
5,279
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DC, MD, VA

iTrader: (11)

Did you go with the OEM stuff or did you put M-sport or anything else on there?
__________________
Perma-banned on G80post for making a single joke about the buck teeth. After 12+ years on the site...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
AGO 530
...
AGO 530's Avatar
Canada
23
Rep
181
Posts

Drives: MW '17 M3 Comp.
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
I had one replaced in the summer at the dealer, In Toronto the dealer cost using a BMW windshield cost me $900 (paid less as I used my insurance). They did offer me an aftermarket windshield for $400 installed by a local glass shop.
__________________
Mineral White '17 M3 Comp
SOLD AW '15 435i F36 Msport / EUROCHARGED TUNED, STAGE 2 / EVOLUTION RACE WERKS DP & CP / KW Coilovers / BMS INTAKE & LOW TEMP THERMOSTAT / AWE TUNING - TOURING EDITION EXHAUST
SOLD - AW '11 335i E90 MSport FBO
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 07:00 AM   #8
paintballdude05
Second Lieutenant
paintballdude05's Avatar
Canada
19
Rep
202
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sudbury, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGO 530 View Post
I had one replaced in the summer at the dealer, In Toronto the dealer cost using a BMW windshield cost me $900 (paid less as I used my insurance). They did offer me an aftermarket windshield for $400 installed by a local glass shop.
Thanks, I've got glass coverage, but there's a $500 deductible. I want an OEM piece of glass which the insurance hopefully delivers on.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 07:07 AM   #9
AGO 530
...
AGO 530's Avatar
Canada
23
Rep
181
Posts

Drives: MW '17 M3 Comp.
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballdude05 View Post
Thanks, I've got glass coverage, but there's a $500 deductible. I want an OEM piece of glass which the insurance hopefully delivers on.
Just a heads up, I had a slight issue as I think you might as well (I wanted OEM glass as well). Insurance typically covers OEM glass if the vehicle is not older than 2 years. I had my service advisor write a letter stating that higher end vehicles require OEM glass to prevent future problems (advice from my ins. broker) and it worked. I did allow my service advisor to road test my FBO car, which sealed the deal!!
__________________
Mineral White '17 M3 Comp
SOLD AW '15 435i F36 Msport / EUROCHARGED TUNED, STAGE 2 / EVOLUTION RACE WERKS DP & CP / KW Coilovers / BMS INTAKE & LOW TEMP THERMOSTAT / AWE TUNING - TOURING EDITION EXHAUST
SOLD - AW '11 335i E90 MSport FBO
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 07:31 AM   #10
paintballdude05
Second Lieutenant
paintballdude05's Avatar
Canada
19
Rep
202
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sudbury, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

I'm with TD Insurance. When I gave them a call they said something similar to what you said, only newer cars get OEM windshields. However, she wasn't very clear on it all and didn't say they won't pay for an OEM one. I'm just wondering if it's worth the hassle of keeping glass coverage on the vehicle if it's already going to cost me $500 as a deductible to get a new one (which I guess is around $400 for an aftermarket one).
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #11
bender rodriguez
Banned
137
Rep
1,995
Posts

Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballdude05 View Post
I'm with TD Insurance. When I gave them a call they said something similar to what you said, only newer cars get OEM windshields. However, she wasn't very clear on it all and didn't say they won't pay for an OEM one. I'm just wondering if it's worth the hassle of keeping glass coverage on the vehicle if it's already going to cost me $500 as a deductible to get a new one (which I guess is around $400 for an aftermarket one).
You can find a company that will do an OEM windshield. These windshield places thrive off of replacing windshields over silly things then getting insurance to pay for it. Never seen the free steak if they let you replace your windshield?

In the US their is no deductible for windshield replacement. Its law they have to replace it for free
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #12
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Welcome to NBA Jam's Avatar
3555
Rep
5,017
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender rodriguez View Post
In the US their is no deductible for windshield replacement. Its law they have to replace it for free
That's not true for every state.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #13
MiniXP
Captain
MiniXP's Avatar
63
Rep
733
Posts

Drives: 08 335i, 06 X5 3.0
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender rodriguez View Post
In the US their is no deductible for windshield replacement. Its law they have to replace it for free
That is not true. Could be true in some areas, but I know the 2 states I have lived in it isn't true.

It is usually an option to have a $0 deductible for comprehensive when you get your insurance. I think it added $3 a month or less to my policy to have $0 comprehensive vs $500. This is what the windshield falls under.
__________________
http://www.e90post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic228641_1.gif
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #14
chepy24
Captain
chepy24's Avatar
29
Rep
780
Posts

Drives: 2009 alpine white 335i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: denver

iTrader: (0)

agree not true there is full glass comprehensive coverage so if you have a 500 deduct but with full glass there is no deduct for glass..... also they will not replace with OEM they will pay the lowest reasonable cost to replace it you would have to pay the difference
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #15
GabeS
Crazy!
GabeS's Avatar
1168
Rep
1,434
Posts

Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (1)

plasti-dip it and you wont see the cracks....
__________________
First "real" widebody M3 ever thread.[url]http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17461963
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #16
paintballdude05
Second Lieutenant
paintballdude05's Avatar
Canada
19
Rep
202
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sudbury, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

I've heard of the free steak in the states. Here, it's almost unheard of to have glass covered by your insurance since the deductible is so high. The last 3 windshields I had replaced (2 on 300M's and 1 on a F150) they all cost me less than $250 cash installed. I know the BMW is a bit different and I also want to keep an OEM piece of glass in it because of personal preferences.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #17
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
floydarogers's Avatar
United_States
675
Rep
3,489
Posts

Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bellevue, WA

iTrader: (0)

Every insurance company has slightly different coverage for glass.

Usually glass coverage is linked to the Comprehensive coverage - that's what covers you for theft, break-ins, fires, flood, etc. A zero deductible on Comprehensive is usually quite expensive. Many insurance companies cover rock chip repair for free if you have comprehensive. Note that Comprehensive is not generally required by law in most states, as it has nothing to do with accidents.

Some companies have separate coverage for windshields. My insurance is a blend between comprehensive and separate. I have an add-on with $100 deductible for glass coverage, separate from comprehensive.

Pilkington and Securit are both OEM producers for BMW. Because of the specialty glass for cars with auto-interval wipers, auto-dimming mirrors and humidity sensor (did you know there's an hvac sensor to help it keep your windshield clear?), you're very likely to get one of their windows anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 11:14 AM   #18
CoffeeBean
Captain
200
Rep
601
Posts

Drives: 640i M-Sport GC
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: AL

iTrader: (2)

All you gotta do is find someone who can get a Pilkington or whatever brand OEM windshield you have. It won't have the BMW logo, but it's the same exact thing. On the comprehensive insurance, I changed mine from $500 deduct to 0 and it only cost an extra $4/mo. My state doesn't require insurance to replace windshields at no cost so now I'm totally covered.
__________________
2014 640i M-Sport GC
Gone: 2008 328i (2), 2007 335i (FBO), 2011 335i (FBO), 1992 Celica All-Trac
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #19
bender rodriguez
Banned
137
Rep
1,995
Posts

Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Every insurance company has slightly different coverage for glass.

Usually glass coverage is linked to the Comprehensive coverage - that's what covers you for theft, break-ins, fires, flood, etc. A zero deductible on Comprehensive is usually quite expensive. Many insurance companies cover rock chip repair for free if you have comprehensive. Note that Comprehensive is not generally required by law in most states, as it has nothing to do with accidents.

Some companies have separate coverage for windshields. My insurance is a blend between comprehensive and separate. I have an add-on with $100 deductible for glass coverage, separate from comprehensive.

Pilkington and Securit are both OEM producers for BMW. Because of the specialty glass for cars with auto-interval wipers, auto-dimming mirrors and humidity sensor (did you know there's an hvac sensor to help it keep your windshield clear?), you're very likely to get one of their windows anyway.
Good to know that because of our auto wipers they can't screw us with Non OEM glass.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #20
m42stanle
N52B25
Canada
15
Rep
196
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 LCI (323i)
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross328i View Post
It won't have the BMW logo, but it's the same exact thing.
Manufactured to same specs, but careful with the statement "same exact thing." You need to take a close look at the DOT number to get the full story. This is not just a case where a given factory spits out a batch of windshields with BMW logos one day and then another identical batch without logos the other (actually it may be the case if you live in Germany or France... probably not though, I would guess the non-logo is coming from Hanglas Poland or Czech).

For example I have a replacement "OEM" windshield with Saint-Gobain Sekurit logo which was put in last year and cost me less than CAD$400 installed. The dealer wanted CAD$2035 all-in for a windshield replacement with BMW logo. It looks like I got a great deal, but taking a close look DOT number for this glass is DOT772 which = "SAINT-GOBAIN HANGLAS SEKURIT (SHANGHAI) CO., LTD. SHANGHAI CHINA"

So windshield is technically OE with correct logo, but made by Hanglas. There are also some other cost cutting measures glass shops take like reusing the rain sensor (maybe they don't have the time or expertise to replace/recode) and in some cases using cheaper moldings and/or adhesives.

Not that I am knocking Chinese manufacturing, I think with more modern facilities they may be making great glass, perhaps even to better standards than some of the Euro facilities. I certainly have no complaints about quality of mine. However if you are a purist who thinks everything in your German car should come from within 200 km of the Fatherland, something to be aware of.

I don't have one in front of me but I would guess for those of you with the roundel logo glass it's either DOT27 ("SEKURIT SAINT-GOBAIN DEUTSCHLAND GMBH GERMANY") or Pilkington is DOT43 ("PPG INDUSTRIES GLASS S.A.") manufactured in France.

You have to make your own decision about whether the premium is worth it. I seem to go through a windshield every 2-3 yrs so I can't really justify the extra cost even through insurance, but point is not all of this extra cost from the dealer is "propeller tax."
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 08:20 PM   #21
90c4
Second Lieutenant
55
Rep
298
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i xdrive coupe
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballdude05 View Post
...it's almost unheard of to have glass covered by your insurance since the deductible is so high...
Depends on the state. In Massachusetts, glass is free with comprehensive insurance and there's no deductible. When it gets pitted, you have it replaced. Easy as that.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #22
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
221
Rep
3,987
Posts

Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
Did you go with the OEM stuff or did you put M-sport or anything else on there?
OEM LCI headlights, OEM BMW Perf. grills, Lux Angel Eyes, M3 rep front bumper, and whole front end resprayed. Looks brand new lol!!
__________________
Alpine White M-Sport F30
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST