E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N51 maintenance time

01-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
Gr330zhp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/BLK

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
N51 maintenance time

Hello everyone!

So I am going to be doing quite a bit of maintenance on my sister's 09 328i xDrive coupe 6 speed this week. I've done most the fluids and any other small repairs on the car until now, past few years. She drives a lot though and the mileage has piled up, around 115k. Have don't lots of extensive BMW repairs in the past and have lots of the right tools, know the M30, M54 and M62TU completely, a little on my S65 and S85, time to dig into her N51 a bit and looking forward to it. What I'm doing includes radiator and hoses, serpentine belt with pulley, oil filter housing gaskets, valve cover gasket with Valvetronic gasket, spark plugs, differential fluids, gearbox fluid(third time around), coolant flush, and power steering fluid with reservoir. Have the Bentley for the E9x too so that should be handy as always (though I wish it included my M3)

Valve cover gasket seems to be a little tricky with the Valvetronic? Does something need to be reset? can it be done without resetting?

Planning on ordering autoenginuity this week as well to have and also register a new battery it needs. Would that work to reset Valvetronic setting?

Thanks

2012 BMW M3 ZCP 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 10:22 PM   #2
coriolis14
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr330zhp View Post
Hello everyone!

So I am going to be doing quite a bit of maintenance on my sister's 09 328i xDrive coupe 6 speed this week. I've done most the fluids and any other small repairs on the car until now, past few years. She drives a lot though and the mileage has piled up, around 115k. Have don't lots of extensive BMW repairs in the past and have lots of the right tools, know the M30, M54 and M62TU completely, a little on my S65 and S85, time to dig into her N51 a bit and looking forward to it. What I'm doing includes radiator and hoses, serpentine belt with pulley, oil filter housing gaskets, valve cover gasket with Valvetronic gasket, spark plugs, differential fluids, gearbox fluid(third time around), coolant flush, and power steering fluid with reservoir. Have the Bentley for the E9x too so that should be handy as always (though I wish it included my M3)

Valve cover gasket seems to be a little tricky with the Valvetronic? Does something need to be reset? can it be done without resetting?

Planning on ordering autoenginuity this week as well to have and also register a new battery it needs. Would that work to reset Valvetronic setting?

Thanks
The water pump & thermostat should be replaced if she hasn't already had that done (should be done at 100k).

You also might want to clean off and swap her VANOS solenoids.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
Gr330zhp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/BLK

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr330zhp View Post
Hello everyone!

Thanks
The water pump & thermostat should be replaced if she hasn't already had that done (should be done at 100k).

You also might want to clean off and swap her VANOS solenoids.
Thanks for the reply. VANOS solenoids have been done under warranty

2012 BMW M3 ZCP 6MT
Appreciate 0