E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Intermittent Engine Stop

01-26-2015, 07:06 AM   #1
Kurt-06-325i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Intermittent Engine Stop

Here's one that is mysterious and leaving me a bit anxious...

On Saturday and again today (Monday, I did not go anywhere on Sunday) I started the car cold and drove about 10 minutes on the highway. The car bucked a few times, the engine was off for a second or two at a time about three or four times, then it ran OK. About 5 minutes later, the engine quit. I coasted to the side of the road and tried to restart. Upon pressing the start button, the engine would crank and fire but immediately quit. I did this several time with the same results.
Next I pulled out the FOB and completely shut down the car. Upon replacing the FOB and restarting the car it ran flawlessly for the rest of the trip. Saturday it ran for another hour or 70 miles home. Today it ran for another 20 minutes to work.
When it dies, there is no spark, just dead. The first time it bucks it will go on and off a few times and then run for a few more minutes as described above.
I did not yet connect a computer to see if there are any codes.

Anyone ever have a similar experience???

Thanks,

Kurt
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 07:23 AM   #2
Kurt-06-325i
Private
Rep

OK, I finally got a code. P1017. It looks like I need to replace my eccentric sensor inside the valve cover.

Any thoughts on this job besides sensor, seal, valve cover gasket and aluminum bolts?

Thanks,

Kurt
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 07:14 PM   #3
E93M3-08
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt-06-325i View Post
OK, I finally got a code. P1017. It looks like I need to replace my eccentric sensor inside the valve cover.

Any thoughts on this job besides sensor, seal, valve cover gasket and aluminum bolts?

Thanks,

Kurt
Don't forget the valvetronic motor seal and maybe some glycerine to lubricate the valve cover gasket before installing it.

Sounds like the same symptoms I had when my ESS died. I'm getting much better gas mileage since I replaced it too!.
325XiT 2006 TiAg, 6MT, Bilstein shocks, BMW P/E, P/I, Performance alu front strut brace, BMW Perf. front and rear bumpers + rocker panels, 50% tint, roof rail delete, CDV delete, C/F delete, BMW blacklines, BMW gloss black kidney grill, Style 189 staggered, 3 stage manifold, AA stage 2 ECU tune, M-Sport leather seats + interior, M-Sport steering wheel, M-Sport door sills, sport gearshift knob, LUX AE V6.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #4
Kurt-06-325i
Private
Rep

Sensor has been replaced and it runs great! Actually much better power and fuel economy than before.
Appreciate 0