E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > boost issues

07-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #1
dr_dirtg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

boost issues

I am battling a annoying issue.
I have good power at low rpms, but less power at high rpms

My boost guage needle moves up fast but at 20psi slows down and sometjmes only goes to 25psi, sometimes to 30psi.

Yesturday I noticed It went way over, probably in the 45 pak range...

I changed the big turbo actator and the boost valve, also some vac lines too.

I have inpa but its all german and im not sure where to look in there.
Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #2
DWR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dirtg View Post
I am battling a annoying issue.
I have good power at low rpms, but less power at high rpms

My boost guage needle moves up fast but at 20psi slows down and sometjmes only goes to 25psi, sometimes to 30psi.

Yesturday I noticed It went way over, probably in the 45 pak range...

I changed the big turbo actator and the boost valve, also some vac lines too.

I have inpa but its all german and im not sure where to look in there.
Any thoughts?
Check the sensor. Hard for the LP turbo to pump enough air to make 45psi.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 11:07 PM   #3
dr_dirtg
Private First Class
Rep

Which senor, map sensor?
I have a boost guage tapped into plastic elbow of charge pipe just before throttlebody.

Please enlighten me, the LP is low pressure turbo? Is this the small turbo?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 06:26 AM   #4
DWR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Which senor, map sensor?
I have a boost guage tapped into plastic elbow of charge pipe just before throttlebody.

Please enlighten me, the LP is low pressure turbo? Is this the small turbo?
OK, got it. I assumed you were data logging from DDE. Well, in that case, I would suggest data logging. Is that boost reading happening when the throttle closes? If not, I'm stumped.

Yes, LP is low pressure - the big one. And yes, it is confusing since it puts out higher boost than the smaller HP turbo.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 03:03 PM   #5
dr_dirtg
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
OK, got it. I assumed you were data logging from DDE. Well, in that case, I would suggest data logging. Is that boost reading happening when the throttle closes? If not, I'm stumped.

Yes, LP is low pressure - the big one. And yes, it is confusing since it puts out higher boost than the smaller HP turbo.
Unfortunately I've been way too occupied with other life things, wife, baby, work... etc. So I have not had a chance to get my self all the tools that I know I will need for this car.... I have INPA, thats about it.

Before I continue, I just want to say, this car has been a monster upto the time where I decided to clean the carbon build up, since then I have been working through a bunch of issues, piece by piece.

So far I have:
cleaned the maf,
replaced air filter,
replaced turbo switch over valve (item 4),
replaced LP control valve (left item 1) (bigger Turbo wastegate electronic control valve)
replaced most vac lines (with the exception of 13 and 15)

By doing those things, I thought I solved my problem of switching between turbos and not building the 28psi it used to (boost guage not showing smooth transition, and only spiking to 25psi) but I still had jittering and boost not switching/ not building to 28psi, and then.....

I got a engine light a few days ago, and today (finally found time) I plugged inpa into her, and she said all these nasty things:

1)
3f30 rail pressure sensor
P0193 fuel injection rail pressure sensor circuit high bank 1

2)
41a2 boost pressure plate, actuation/control
p0045 turbocharger / compressor boost control circuit bank 1

3)
4707 wastegate valve, actuation
P0243 Turbocharger / Compressor wastegate Bank 1 - Malfunction or open circuit

4)
4b7f exhaust pressure sensor upstream of the turbine, signal
p0472 exhaust pressure sensor circuit bank 1 low

5)
4207 Lambda sensor, triggering hot
P0030 Heated Oxygen Sensor Heating control circuit bank 1 before catalytic converter - Malfunction or open circuit

6)
4987 exhaust gas temperature sensor before catalytic converter, signal
p0546 from exhaust gas temperature sensor circuit bank 1, sensor 1, high

7)
41f2 electric fan, control

8)
4bf9 exhaust gas particulate filter differential pressure sensor, signal
p244a particle filter differential pressure bank 1 too low

9)
4b93 particulate filter system
p2458 particulate filter regeneration duration Bank 1 fail function

So, I have some questions:

1)
The rail pressure fault, could this be due to my JBD? The car pulls stronger with the jbd even with all these faults.

2) The Bank 1 that is mentioned everywhere, does this refer to one of the turbos and not the other?

3) I did the 20 second check to see if wastetgate holds, it does not. within 7 or 8 seconds it releases slowly. Does this indicate a vacuum leak? I suspect vac line # 13 might be in bad shape, but i haven't got a chance to go under car to replace it yet

4) The particulate filter codes; I dont even know when my car does/did a regeneration - i never noticed any difference in behaviour or sound.
I used to drive 140km a day for work ( why I got the diesel 335 and not gasonline ), but for the last few months I only drive about 15km a day.
Perhaps my car doesn't have enough time to do a regeneration?
Perhaps by now my DPF is clogged up?

5) the oxygen sensor, coudl this have failed due to overheating too high exhaust gas temps?

I have cleared all codes, and after 10min of idle checked and still all clear, so I will go for a drive and check again later.

If my dpf is clogged, i will look at removing it, but i need to find a fair priced downpipe to do so.

And I was planning on getting Jarek to remove all the dpf, scr crap anyway, i think this is the time.

Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 10:32 PM   #6
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
1)
3f30 rail pressure sensor
P0193 fuel injection rail pressure sensor circuit high bank 1

2)
41a2 boost pressure plate, actuation/control
p0045 turbocharger / compressor boost control circuit bank 1

3)
4707 wastegate valve, actuation
P0243 Turbocharger / Compressor wastegate Bank 1 - Malfunction or open circuit

4)
4b7f exhaust pressure sensor upstream of the turbine, signal
p0472 exhaust pressure sensor circuit bank 1 low

5)
4207 Lambda sensor, triggering hot
P0030 Heated Oxygen Sensor Heating control circuit bank 1 before catalytic converter - Malfunction or open circuit

6)
4987 exhaust gas temperature sensor before catalytic converter, signal
p0546 from exhaust gas temperature sensor circuit bank 1, sensor 1, high

7)
41f2 electric fan, control

8)
4bf9 exhaust gas particulate filter differential pressure sensor, signal
p244a particle filter differential pressure bank 1 too low

9)
4b93 particulate filter system
p2458 particulate filter regeneration duration Bank 1 fail function

So, I have some questions:

1)
The rail pressure fault, could this be due to my JBD? The car pulls stronger with the jbd even with all these faults.

2) The Bank 1 that is mentioned everywhere, does this refer to one of the turbos and not the other?

3) I did the 20 second check to see if wastetgate holds, it does not. within 7 or 8 seconds it releases slowly. Does this indicate a vacuum leak? I suspect vac line # 13 might be in bad shape, but i haven't got a chance to go under car to replace it yet

4) The particulate filter codes; I dont even know when my car does/did a regeneration - i never noticed any difference in behaviour or sound.
I used to drive 140km a day for work ( why I got the diesel 335 and not gasonline ), but for the last few months I only drive about 15km a day.
Perhaps my car doesn't have enough time to do a regeneration?
Perhaps by now my DPF is clogged up?

5) the oxygen sensor, coudl this have failed due to overheating too high exhaust gas temps?
I'm no expert, but here are some thoughts:

-3f30 fuel rail pressure: please unplug your JBD to make things back to apples to apples. Some folks noted with shorted JBD's that it will trigger some codes. Other thing to consider, have you plugged everything back when you did your CBU cleaning?

-41a2 and 4707 for the boost pressure plate and wastegate actuation: these may point to a vacuum problem. This thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=code+4530
may be helpful in diagnosing your vacuum and all the actuator problems. By no means is it exhaustive though. However, looking at the generic code descriptions, this also may point to an unplugged connection. in BMW, you get a separate code if something is unplugged and it's a different code to the other triggers.

-4707 wastegate valve actuation: you got the #13 vac line right, but the mysterious 20 sec release was referred to the turbo switchover valve, #11 vac line feeds it. Wastegate vacuum valve will release right away when vacuum is removed. Check functionality by connecting a hand vacuum pump at connector #16 and drawing (check the above thread for value) so much vacuum. Audibly you can hear it releasing when vacuum is removed. This will confirm vacuum leaks at #13, at the vacuum actuator and if the wastegate is stuck.

-your codes in 4, 5 and 6 look like disconnected sensors.

-your item 7 may be unrelated. Or during DPF regen, you may trigger your fun at midcyle shutdown. May be DPF regen related, but I doubt.

-your 8 and 9 do point to DPF, please check all sensor connections. If you had replaced the pressure converters, there are a lot of connectors. Please also check the differential pressure tubes form DPF to the Sensor. Please check your EGT sensors are plugged to correct plugs (there are two) up top. Also, did you reconnect the feed to the exhaust pressure sensor from the exhaust manifold, is there a crack in the hose. Do you smell exhaust in the cabin?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 07:23 PM   #7
dr_dirtg
Private First Class
Rep

-ahh.. ok , i'll remove it.... i will miss my jbd (for the time being)
-This weekend I will try get under car and replace rest of vac lines.
-I will order another boost switch over valve and replace it
-I will check vacuum system, and wastegate
-as far as unplugged connectors, i dont think i have this issue, i double checked all connections - but i will go over them again.

The EGT hose and such, i have to double check. I do have a very slight diesel smell in cabin, but i have had this almost since i got the car 3 years ago.

I'm not sure which is the exhaust pressure sensor/which hose that could have a crack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
I'm no expert, but here are some thoughts:

-3f30 fuel rail pressure: please unplug your JBD to make things back to apples to apples. Some folks noted with shorted JBD's that it will trigger some codes. Other thing to consider, have you plugged everything back when you did your CBU cleaning?

-41a2 and 4707 for the boost pressure plate and wastegate actuation: these may point to a vacuum problem. This thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=code+4530
may be helpful in diagnosing your vacuum and all the actuator problems. By no means is it exhaustive though. However, looking at the generic code descriptions, this also may point to an unplugged connection. in BMW, you get a separate code if something is unplugged and it's a different code to the other triggers.

-4707 wastegate valve actuation: you got the #13 vac line right, but the mysterious 20 sec release was referred to the turbo switchover valve, #11 vac line feeds it. Wastegate vacuum valve will release right away when vacuum is removed. Check functionality by connecting a hand vacuum pump at connector #16 and drawing (check the above thread for value) so much vacuum. Audibly you can hear it releasing when vacuum is removed. This will confirm vacuum leaks at #13, at the vacuum actuator and if the wastegate is stuck.

-your codes in 4, 5 and 6 look like disconnected sensors.

-your item 7 may be unrelated. Or during DPF regen, you may trigger your fun at midcyle shutdown. May be DPF regen related, but I doubt.

-your 8 and 9 do point to DPF, please check all sensor connections. If you had replaced the pressure converters, there are a lot of connectors. Please also check the differential pressure tubes form DPF to the Sensor. Please check your EGT sensors are plugged to correct plugs (there are two) up top. Also, did you reconnect the feed to the exhaust pressure sensor from the exhaust manifold, is there a crack in the hose. Do you smell exhaust in the cabin?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 02:02 AM   #8
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
-This weekend I will try get under car and replace rest of vac lines.
-I will order another boost switch over valve and replace it
-I will check vacuum system, and wastegate
Before you go and buy another pressure converter or a switchover valve, you should test your vacuum pump, your vacuum lines and each individual pressure converter and a switchover valve (btw, EGR cooler uses the same, so you can swap them over to see it it makes a difference) for both vacuum/pressure hold and electrical integrity, test your vacuum units on all three (turbo swithchover, wastegate and bypass) and test all three internal flaps to make sure they are not stuck. Through this process, you should be able to identify if any of the components are bad and need replacing.
Appreciate 0