E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New Coilovers, Scrapping and Ride Quality

07-14-2015, 03:12 AM   #1
chensta
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i DCT Convertible

New Coilovers, Scrapping and Ride Quality

Hey guys,

Just picked up a new KW V2 coilovers and have a few questions

I have a E93 335i with M-Sport, so stock height was already pretty low, especially the rear.

After the installation of the KW V2's, the car is slightly lower than before, and as I understand it, it will continue to get a bit lower as the coilovers settle. Right now, the ride quality can be described as a little 'bumpy' or 'bouncy', and I can feel all the bumps.

1) If I increase the ride height, will this solve the bouncy and bumpy feel? As the suspension will have more travel to absorb?

2) Will the feel of the coilovers change over time? Will it be stiffer out of the box and then become 'softer' as it gets worn in?

3) Currently (even before), everytime I come out of my apartment's underground garage, I scrape when I hit the apex of the driveway. Looking under the car, I can't tell exactly what it is hitting and I am a bit freaked out. The sound is definitely metallic and makes a grrrr sound...ie not scraping over something smooth like a heatshield. Has anyone who had similar experiences have any idea what I might be hitting? I can't really see under my car and I don't have jacks

4) When adjusting for height, I always hear people talking about a 'finger' gap...how is this finger gap measured? Simple from the gap between tyre and the fenders? Or is it from the 'top' of the tyres and the fender gap?

Thanks for the help guys!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 03:56 AM   #2
Underground6t9
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi, Lexus is250

The suspension has the same travel, you are not compressing the springs thats what makes it a coilover. The damperring is what you are feeling not sure how it works on KW V2 but when I had BC coilovers on another car you could adjust the dampering giving the driver a prefence of feeling soft or hard. To answer your question no it will not make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 04:01 AM   #3
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Raising it will not change the feel. You can adjust the damper stiffness on the KW V2 to be softer.

You're most likely scraping a part of the exhaust, but it's hard to tell without looking under the car. Try angling the car as much as possible when crossing the apex to minimize scraping.
Appreciate 0