Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Cannot take off wheel studs

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-24-2015, 09:51 AM   #1
dannyhagh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Cannot take off wheel studs

Hello this is my first post as i am brand new to this website and in need of help. I probably sound like a complete newb but i am unable to take my tires off. My tires have studs instead of lug nuts and i have tried multiple things from the bmw tool to the four way tool even to an actual electric power gun and the studs have not budged. I dont think they are rusted as its a fairly new car (2009 335xi). Somebody told me i need to take the weight off the wheel and do it but i am afraid because i only have the bmw jack and dont want the car crashing down if it moves. I have looked at other threads as well but none have to do with taking studs off but are about rusted lug nuts or tire being stuck on. If anybody has any tips that would be great. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

You may just need more leverage. I'd try a breaker bar or "cheater pipe" or something similar to get more leverage. I'd leave the wheels on the ground until you have broken the studs free, that's not causing your problem. Sometimes these things just seize, especially if they haven't been off in a while.

OEM tool, and 4 way tool don't provide much leverage. Electric impact wrenches are ok, but usually pretty weak as well and won't get really stuck on bolts off.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2015, 10:12 AM   #3
davidwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC

Just to clarify, you have stock lug bolts, right? Or did you put on aftermarket studs?

If you are just trying to get the lug bolts off, leave the car on the ground and find a bigger breaker bar.

edit-
the first time I tried to take my wheels off, I broke two 3/8 bars. Use a 1/2 bar and socket. Your lugs are seized up and/or way over torqued.
      07-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #4
dannyhagh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

yup they are stock bolts. my friend tried getting them off with a 15 inch breaker and that didnt work but it might just need some extra leverage by connecting a pipe to it or something. My dad was telling me that if you put too much weight on the breaker bar the bolt might strip and damage the bolt and or wheel which is why im a little hesitant (not sure if its fact either). Also, would it be smart if i get new bolts after i take these off or will the problem be solved after they finally loosen?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 10:45 AM   #5
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

You're not going to strip it removing it, that's more if you over tighten it installing. Won't damage the wheel either. I don't think you're going to strip the head if your socket is sized correctly. Finally, wheel studs/bolts are really strong so I don't see you snapping it by using too much torque.

15" breaker isn't that long, that's basically the length of a standard lug wrench. Try a 24" or a cheater pipe. Inspect the bolts once they are off to see if the threads are ok. If they are, it's fine to reuse. I'd only get new bolts if there is damage or corrosion.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2015, 11:46 AM   #6
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

They're over-torqued - probably some yahoo used an impact wrench set too high. When putting them back on, be sure to use a torque wrench set to the correct number.

Replace the bolts if visual inspection shows material in the threads, or missing threads.

Some people say you shouldn't use anti-seize compound, but I (and Mike Miller and many others) say do it, when re-installing.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
cmg5461
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Deep Green 335xi 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
17mm 1/2" socket
      07-24-2015, 01:06 PM   #8
davidwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC

The lugs should be fine once you can get them out. I will tell you that the first time I went to take my lugs off (I bought my car CPO), I had to take it to my mechanic. He laughed at me at first, but he had to get a 500+ ft-lb impact gun to get them off. His normal impact gun would not budge them. He said that was the first time that had ever happened.

See if you can use some kind of cheater bar, and make sure you use a 1/2-inch 6-point socket. I have one of those low profile aluminum car jacks with a two piece handle. I always use one of the pieces of the handle as a cheater bar and never have a problem getting the lugs off now. Of course, they are also torqued properly now too.

This is what happened to my 3/8 drives...
View post on imgur.com