E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > HELP!!! Lights acting funny in the rear

10-15-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

HELP!!! Lights acting funny in the rear

Hi All,

So recently my drivers side tail lights went out. The turn signal lights work fine and when I brake it works fine but the lights at night do not light up when the headlights are on.

Having said that, the LED's on the license plate area light up when I unlock the car but then when I open the trunk and pull it up, they turn off and don't come on at all. Same thing happens with the trunk light also. It is bright at full capacity when I open the trunk just barely and then when I open it fully the light goes super dim. When I close the trunk 3/4th it goes to full brightness again!!!

I am fearing that the electricals around the trunk area might be screwed up and so all these lights are not working properly! I hope this is not the case and I don't have to take it in to a mechanic/dealer and I can fix it myself

Can anyone give me any recommendations/suggestions/tips where to start off with?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 06:11 PM   #2
Abax335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi 6spd

Any info on the car. But its common for the wiring at the trunk hinge to short which can cause alot of issues like with the trunk button and license plate lights. (You can pop the rubber gromet/sleave off the body and pull it down and inspect the wiring) just make sure you reinstall the gromet securely when your done

Rear taillights have led turn signals? The LCI taillights have known corrosion issues.

Regardless need more info about the car
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #3
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abax335 View Post
Any info on the car. But its common for the wiring at the trunk hinge to short which can cause alot of issues like with the trunk button and license plate lights. (You can pop the rubber gromet/sleave off the body and pull it down and inspect the wiring) just make sure you reinstall the gromet securely when your done

Rear taillights have led turn signals? The LCI taillights have known corrosion issues.

Regardless need more info about the car
Not sure what you meant by more info on the car but here is what I can start with:

2009 328i E90 LCI Sedan.
I did change out the trunk light and the license plate lights to LED's. Not sure if that could be the issue. Doesn't seem like it as they work but just intermittently and the behavior tells me that the bulb/LED is OK.

I was thinking the same thing about some wire connected to the trunk hinge which is why the lights act up only when the trunk is opened and closed.

I'll do the check you recommended and let you know what I find.

Yes, the rear tail lights are LED, but the turn signal lights are OK. its just the normal lights on the rear right hand tail light that are supposed to stay on during night time with the headlights on, that are not working.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 06:39 PM   #4
Abax335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi 6spd

I'll mess with a car tomorrow at work tomorrow to see if I can see what you are referring to and where to look. Also I want to see if there are any common wiring/fuse/ground points
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #5
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abax335 View Post
I'll mess with a car tomorrow at work tomorrow to see if I can see what you are referring to and where to look. Also I want to see if there are any common wiring/fuse/ground points
That would be awesome man! Thanks so much for being so helpful! Its a breath of fresh air on this forum off late
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 02:46 PM   #6
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Here is what it looks like when just the headlights are turned on...

Once again, the signal lights work when on and everything else is not working so not sure what the issue is here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0