E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > HID Question

10-29-2015, 11:45 PM   #1
codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

HID Question

Hey guys I have a 2009 328i coupe and I noticed my left headlight would flicker and go out for about 5-10 seconds when I'm driving and get the low beam malfunction for a sec then come back on, the halos would stay on though. It's happened only like 4 times and then stays on normally. I believe it's just the bulb but worst case scenario I read it's the ballast. I'm looking to upgrade my lights anyways but I had a question regarding HID kits since they come with their own ballast. The HID kit I'm looking at comes with its own ballast so worst case scenario of my stock headlight ballast is out, if I get the HID kit will it just replace the stock ballast I have right now and function properly since it comes with its own ballast?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 07:43 AM   #2
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
Hey guys I have a 2009 328i coupe and I noticed my left headlight would flicker and go out for about 5-10 seconds when I'm driving and get the low beam malfunction for a sec then come back on, the halos would stay on though. It's happened only like 4 times and then stays on normally. I believe it's just the bulb but worst case scenario I read it's the ballast. I'm looking to upgrade my lights anyways but I had a question regarding HID kits since they come with their own ballast. The HID kit I'm looking at comes with its own ballast so worst case scenario of my stock headlight ballast is out, if I get the HID kit will it just replace the stock ballast I have right now and function properly since it comes with its own ballast?
It depends on the kit. The stock ballast is bolted to the side of the light assembly. You will want to check for that. Also, I would check out the plugs and wiring first; you may have a simple short or water affecting a plug. Just my thoughts. You could also switch the bulb (left to right) and see if the flickering follows
Appreciate 0