E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Power Steering Hose Leak Question

12-29-2015, 06:48 PM   #1
KiwiRD
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i M Sport 6MT

Hey all. I have a tiny leak that has started at the crimp on my power steering return hose. Not the hose that goes back to the reservoir, but the hose that returns to the rack. The leak is really small, maybe around a teaspoon of dried p/s fluid has collected on my undertray over the last month. Has anyone had to carry out this repair? I'm not sure if it's that common. Not sure if the p/s plumbing is the same on LHD and RHD cars but the hose in question runs alongside the drivers side engine rail and then doubles back on itself down to the rack
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 04:58 AM   #2
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Your saying it "returns to the rack" but that doesnt really make sense?

Theres a high pressure feed line from the pump to the rack, then a low pressure return line from the rack to the steering cooler, then the steering cooler returns to the reservoir.

The one that doubles back on itself and changes from metal to rubber and back about 3 times is the high pressure feed line.

You'll probably end up having to replace it, but you might find a local hydraulics place can cut out the affected pipe and crimp in a new one. You'll have to speak to a place local to you and see what they think.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 02:31 PM   #3
KiwiRD
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
Your saying it "returns to the rack" but that doesnt really make sense?

Theres a high pressure feed line from the pump to the rack, then a low pressure return line from the rack to the steering cooler, then the steering cooler returns to the reservoir.

The one that doubles back on itself and changes from metal to rubber and back about 3 times is the high pressure feed line.

You'll probably end up having to replace it, but you might find a local hydraulics place can cut out the affected pipe and crimp in a new one. You'll have to speak to a place local to you and see what they think.
Hi Aragorn,

I think you are right - it is item 9 in the diagram in the attached link:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=32_1644

Is this a common location for a leak? It sounds weird, but it only leaks sometimes. I keep an eye on whether any fluid is sitting below the leak location on the belly pan, and it is only every other week it seems to be there.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 05:11 PM   #4
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Pipe 9 is the return line. It goes from the rack to the PAS cooler. Its a low pressure line.

The pressure in the HP line (3) varies according to steering inputs, so it would make some sense that it might leak only sometimes.

Pipe 9 however doesnt really see much pressure.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 06:09 PM   #5
KiwiRD
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d
Pipe 9 is the return line. It goes from the rack to the PAS cooler. Its a low pressure line.

The pressure in the HP line (3) varies according to steering inputs, so it would make some sense that it might leak only sometimes.

Pipe 9 however doesnt really see much pressure.
Thanks a lot for that info. I guess it's not as much of a major as a high pressure line leaking.
Appreciate 0