E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Suspension Maintenance at 60K miles?

01-24-2016, 12:44 PM   #1
mg4734
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M-Sport Coupe

Suspension Maintenance at 60K miles?

Hello,

Lately I've been feeling a shake/vibration in the wheel and seat between 40-60mph and the car has felt generally unsettled. I had the dealership take a look at the lower control arm bushings (after full alignment and wheel balancing) and they said nothing appears to be wrong, except my tie rods were seized up which caused them difficulty with aligning the car.

Any guidance? I have a hard time believing that I'm just imagining that the car doesn't feel solid, wheel shimmy, etc. I may have knocked it back out of alignment in the recent snowstorm, however I feel that the issue goes a bit deeper than that.

Thanks in advance for any tips
2009 E92 335i M-Sport - MHD Stage One - BMW Performance Exhaust - BMS Oil Catch Can - CDV Delete - K&N Panel Filter - Arc Angel H8 bulbs - Gloss Black Kidney Grills - Painted Reflectors - VRSF Charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 03:01 PM   #2
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Perhaps just a out of balanced tire or bent wheel, which probably is the case since you are in Midwest.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 03:09 PM   #3
mg4734
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M-Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Perhaps just a out of balanced tire or bent wheel, which probably is the case since you are in Midwest.
After driving the car today I am in need of an alignment again for sure, as driving straight is slightly left of where straight should be... I am out east actually and bumped a curb with the left rear wheel this weekend going on the one errand I was forced to with the snow and all

Tech said my front right wheel is very slightly bent, but balanced fine on the road force machine.

Had the slight wheel shimmy before all of this though, it is somewhat inconsistent in terms of replicating the problem. Sometimes when cruising 40-60mph, sometimes only when braking, not sure what would cause an inconsistent issue such as this
2009 E92 335i M-Sport - MHD Stage One - BMW Performance Exhaust - BMS Oil Catch Can - CDV Delete - K&N Panel Filter - Arc Angel H8 bulbs - Gloss Black Kidney Grills - Painted Reflectors - VRSF Charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 03:13 PM   #4
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

What does your alignment spec sheet says?

Very slightly bent can still be felt once you are on the highway, especially at the front axle. Get it fixed if you dont want the vibration. Sometime you feel it, sometimes you don't, it is all about the harmonics and the road surface you are driving on at the moment.
Appreciate 1