E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Failed NYS Emissions, AA N52 Header Tune: BEWARE

07-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #1
mpaone23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i xDrive

Failed NYS Emissions, AA N52 Header Tune: BEWARE

So the car is 2006 325xi, AA Headers, AA Tune, 3 Stage IM all done about 4 or 5 months ago.

I went to get the car inspected last week not thinking there was any issue, and my I/M monitors were not ready after about a month of driving since any codes were cleared last. I reflashed the tune with an updated version (really didnt change anything) given to me by AA. I've put about 400 miles on, and have done the BMW drive cycle 4 or 5 times, possibly more.

The EVAP monitor just set last Friday after my car sat all day at work. I still have the O2 and Catalyst monitor incomplete. Im kind of lost here that the monitor still isn't set. I only need the O2 monitor to be complete, cause in NY you can have one incomplete (which should be the catalyst I believe because of the tune).

Should I flash back to stock and see if I can get the monitors complete after doing the drive cycle again? Any recommendations at all will be much appreciated.My inspection is up, and my temporary one has expired so I'm hoping to figure this out ASAP. Didn't think I would have any issue passing, but in hindsight I probably shouldnt have waited this long.....

Last edited by mpaone23; 08-24-2016 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

I don't have any hands on experience with the tune, but it shouldn't be preventing the O2 monitor from setting. Last time I did emissions EVAP took the longest for me and O2 was relatively quick to set.

I'd say keep driving. You're almost there.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 01:42 PM   #3
mpaone23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
I don't have any hands on experience with the tune, but it shouldn't be preventing the O2 monitor from setting. Last time I did emissions EVAP took the longest for me and O2 was relatively quick to set.

I'd say keep driving. You're almost there.
Its odd, It shouldnt be preventing it from setting which is why I am so surprised it hasnt yet.....Especially since EVAP usually takes the longest, and that set before the O2 monitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #4
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

You stated that you performed the BMW drive cycle a few times -- were they the same steps as http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...heck/?ALLSTEPS ?

The instructions above seemed to work for a few people in these posts:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1237214
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1204064
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 03:26 AM   #5
Punisher3.0si
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86 manual

I was wondering recently if AA turns off the O2 non continuous monitor. The Computer isn't going to like the rear sensors matching the fronts. If you flash back to stock then it will be guaranteed to set cat codes so don't bother. The Chicago area (where I live) is the same way with emissions. 2001 on up can only have one monitor not set. I hope the 02 monitor can set otherwise I'm not getting the headers.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 07:31 AM   #6
mpaone23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailowill View Post
You stated that you performed the BMW drive cycle a few times -- were they the same steps as http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...heck/?ALLSTEPS ?

The instructions above seemed to work for a few people in these posts:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1237214
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1204064
I performed the drive cycle used by BMW to complete the monitors and did it exactly per their instruction multiple times late at night. I was actually given this procedure by Active Autowerke as well.http://www.europeantransmissions.com...0Procedure.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher3.0si View Post
I was wondering recently if AA turns off the O2 non continuous monitor. The Computer isn't going to like the rear sensors matching the fronts. If you flash back to stock then it will be guaranteed to set cat codes so don't bother. The Chicago area (where I live) is the same way with emissions. 2001 on up can only have one monitor not set. I hope the 02 monitor can set otherwise I'm not getting the headers.
They don't turn off the rear O2, they are still on and are trying to report that the cats aren't working which is why the monitor will always be incomplete. The way they have it tuned makes it so there is not a cat efficiency code to report. I have been in contact with them, and they have been working with me to figure it out. Its an odd situation, because they have not had anyone report back to them with an issue like mine.

I developed a coolant leak yesterday and I believe I figured out where it was coming from. Sooo Im hoping once I fix it, maybe the monitor will set if the engine was not being cooled enough maybe causing the monitor not to be able to complete. Idk I'm no expert so I'm trying everything possible at this point.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 08:06 AM   #7
Punisher3.0si
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That's what I wrote. The oxygen sensor monitor like the cat monitor are non continuous monitors. If the O2 monitor is suspended then it will never set and you won't pass emissions (because we know the cat won't already).
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #8
mpaone23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's what I wrote. The oxygen sensor monitor like the cat monitor are non continuous monitors. If the O2 monitor is suspended then it will never set and you won't pass emissions (because we know the cat won't already).
I guess I'm not quite sure what you mean then. This is all new to me, so much of it is a foreign language. Care to elaborate?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #9
Punisher3.0si
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Non continuous monitors are monitors that don't always run. These are what the emissions test look at to determine a reject or not. Your car probably has four of these monitors ( Cat, evap, O2, O2 heater). You can only have one non continuous monitor not set so we know that cat monitor won't. That leaves the O2 monitor which I'm sure won't like the downstream O2 sensors reading exactly the same as the front and should set a code for too much activity. This is where the problem lies. Unless they figured out away around that I don't know how you can get the O2 non continuous monitor to set.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 12:47 PM   #10
mpaone23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Non continuous monitors are monitors that don't always run. These are what the emissions test look at to determine a reject or not. Your car probably has four of these monitors ( Cat, evap, O2, O2 heater). You can only have one non continuous monitor not set so we know that cat monitor won't. That leaves the O2 monitor which I'm sure won't like the downstream O2 sensors reading exactly the same as the front and should set a code for too much activity. This is where the problem lies. Unless they figured out away around that I don't know how you can get the O2 non continuous monitor to set.
Ahhh now I understand. You nailed it with the four monitors being Cat, EVAP, O2, and O2 heater. As far as I know AA has figured out a way around that because there have been many people who have passed OBDII emissions testing no problem, even in NYS where I am.

I have been trying to do some research to see if there is an underlying issue that may not be noticeable enough to throw a code. Is it possible that the car is failing to go into closed loop when the O2 sensor reaches operating temperature and drops out of closed loop because the O2 sensor’s signal is lost? If that is the case the engine will run too rich causing an increase in fuel consumption and emissions I believe. Could a bad coolant sensor prevent the system from going into closed loop because the computer also considers engine coolant temperature when deciding whether or not to go into closed loop?

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #11
Willsbma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Does the "de-fouler" trick work on the post O2's for N52 motors??
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 08:39 AM   #12
mpaone23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsbma View Post
I am not sure, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't. I should not have to do that though since the tune is supposed to take care of the SES.

Many people have run it no problem and passed emissions. Either my car is taking unusually long to complete the monitor, or there is an underlying issue that has not become apparent yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 10:09 AM   #13
Punisher3.0si
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaone23 View Post
Ahhh now I understand. You nailed it with the four monitors being Cat, EVAP, O2, and O2 heater. As far as I know AA has figured out a way around that because there have been many people who have passed OBDII emissions testing no problem, even in NYS where I am.

I have been trying to do some research to see if there is an underlying issue that may not be noticeable enough to throw a code. Is it possible that the car is failing to go into closed loop when the O2 sensor reaches operating temperature and drops out of closed loop because the O2 sensor’s signal is lost? If that is the case the engine will run too rich causing an increase in fuel consumption and emissions I believe. Could a bad coolant sensor prevent the system from going into closed loop because the computer also considers engine coolant temperature when deciding whether or not to go into closed loop?

Please correct me if I am wrong.
It's possible you have a border line problem. After 4 months the monitor should have set. Either pass or fail. I'd really have to know more how their tune changes the DME programing to go any farther.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 01:11 PM   #14
mpaone23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's possible you have a border line problem. After 4 months the monitor should have set. Either pass or fail. I'd really have to know more how their tune changes the DME programing to go any farther.
Well its actually been 4 months since I've done the tune, and about 600 miles since any codes have been cleared because I have done some recent maintenance.

AA has been working with me to figure this out and we may have made a breakthrough this morning. Its possible it could be a problem with my O2 sensors and not the actual tune but we are not certain. I will be sending freeze frame data after I leave work today so they can further analyze it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #15
Punisher3.0si
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Cool. I'd like to hear what they come up with.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 07:05 PM   #16
Willsbma
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaone23
Quote:
I am not sure, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't. I should not have to do that though since the tune is supposed to take care of the SES.

Many people have run it no problem and passed emissions. Either my car is taking unusually long to complete the monitor, or there is an underlying issue that has not become apparent yet.
I recently found an emissions related code in Inpa that didn't trigger a cel. Might wanna take a peek there?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 07:14 AM   #17
mpaone23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I recently found an emissions related code in Inpa that didn't trigger a cel. Might wanna take a peek there?
What was the code that you found? I only have a basic OBDII code reader and the Simon3, would neither of those pick up this code?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 07:05 PM   #18
Willsbma
First Lieutenant
Rep

2a17 dtml pump. Nothing has come back yet tho, but I'm just saying it could be lazy for a similar reason. I would DL inpa and use that
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 04:14 AM   #19
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

Hi,since this is header related,the n54 has a dp fix that has elimited the light for testing. I've tried to find out for sure as I'll be doing headers soon,but not the tune,and all that this does is sends signals for the 02sensors to be ready. Hear in Rhode Island ,if you fail,it gets sent to the registry,and they suspend your registration till you pass. It may not be a fix,but it may help with time.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #20
mpaone23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB View Post
Hi,since this is header related,the n54 has a dp fix that has elimited the light for testing. I've tried to find out for sure as I'll be doing headers soon,but not the tune,and all that this does is sends signals for the 02sensors to be ready. Hear in Rhode Island ,if you fail,it gets sent to the registry,and they suspend your registration till you pass. It may not be a fix,but it may help with time.
At the moment I have the stock tune loaded and have all monitors ready except the O2 monitor. The catalyst monitor is "ok" but the SES did come on with cat codes P0420 and P0430. I have done the drive cycle several times and the O2 monitor still wont go "ok".

I am going to try putting on o2 spacers (spark plug non-foulers) because I have zero O2 related codes and only codes for the cats. From the research I have done nobody has experienced an issue like mine which is why I am leaning toward there being something wrong with the pre-cat O2's. Its just odd because the O2's seem to be working, but it is possible they are bad and not triggering a code keeping it from going into closed loop. If that doesnt work then im going to consider the VRSF N54 dp fix, taking my car in to my mechanic, or replacing the pre-cat O2's.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 10:20 PM   #21
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

Ya,that's what I'm dreading when I put my headers in,hopefully all goes well
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #22
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

I am curious - why not have AA give you their off-road tune which eliminates those sensor codes and 'not ready'? Worked for me here in GA.