E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Brake Sliders - lube or no lube?

11-12-2016, 09:24 PM   #1
kenmar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Brake Sliders - lube or no lube?

Anyone know if the brake sliders should be lubed? I find it strange that the Bentley specifically states to not lubricate the sliders. This is the exact text:

"Clean brake caliper guide bolts. Replace ones which are not in perfect condition. Do not grease"

Bentley is consistent with this recommendation because it dates back even to their E36 repair manual. Could it be the design of the sliders with the plastic covers eliminates the need to grease the sliders?

My last brake job was done by the dealer and there was absolutely no signs of grease on the sliders when I did my own brake pads last week. I'm confused. I've been doing my own BMW brake pad replacements for 15y. I initially started by following the Bentley recommendations. Then I did a few brake jobs on my E36 with grease. I did one E90 brake job with grease but I left out the grease on my last job. Can any BMW techs chime in?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 06:59 AM   #2
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

None. BMW doesnt lube caliper slide pins. Why don't you believe the Bentley?

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
kenmar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaben View Post
Because the Bentley is not always correct. Notably, I followed the wheel torque recommendation of 75 ft-lbs for my E36 and almost lost my rear wheels twice; I was fortunate that I noticed loosening bolts before I lost a wheel on the road! The Bentley E9x wheel torque of 89 ft-lbs seems correct, however.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 01:15 PM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmar View Post
Anyone know if the brake sliders should be lubed? I find it strange that the Bentley specifically states to not lubricate the sliders. This is the exact text:

"Clean brake caliper guide bolts. Replace ones which are not in perfect condition. Do not grease"

Bentley is consistent with this recommendation because it dates back even to their E36 repair manual. Could it be the design of the sliders with the plastic covers eliminates the need to grease the sliders?

My last brake job was done by the dealer and there was absolutely no signs of grease on the sliders when I did my own brake pads last week. I'm confused. I've been doing my own BMW brake pad replacements for 15y. I initially started by following the Bentley recommendations. Then I did a few brake jobs on my E36 with grease. I did one E90 brake job with grease but I left out the grease on my last job. Can any BMW techs chime in?
I always put CRC silaramic brake grease in the cylinders that the caliper pins bolt into.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05361-Sil.../dp/B0091KCG0W

Considering the degrees that brake parts can heat up to, it's probably not a bad idea.

This product is good from -50 to 3000 degrees. It's hard to beat that.

The caliper only works ideally if it can slide on the rotor as you break. If it binds up on the rubber backing, then your brake pads won't wear equally.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 03:43 PM   #5
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
My dealer never lubed the pins and neither have I for the 2x I've done my brakes, never had a problem

I do buy both new pins and new rubber bushings everytime though...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 11-15-2016 at 03:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 05:40 PM   #6
kenmar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
My dealer never lubed the pins and neither have I for the 2x I've done my brakes, never has a problem

I do buy both new pins and new rubber bushings everytime though...

Good practice. Maybe I'll do the same
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 05:41 PM   #7
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaben View Post
Because the Bentley is not always correct. Notably, I followed the wheel torque recommendation of 75 ft-lbs for my E36 and almost lost my rear wheels twice; I was fortunate that I noticed loosening bolts before I lost a wheel on the road! The Bentley E9x wheel torque of 89 ft-lbs seems correct, however.
I have never greased my e36 pins and never a problem. I've always torqued my lugs to 80 ft/lbs even during track events and never had one loosen up. If you want to grease your pins then do so but if you want to follow bmw's recommendation then don't.

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 09:17 AM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

No lube is required. I'm on my original pins at 312,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 03:23 PM   #9
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
I'd wager that using no grease is better than using the incorrect grease. I've read that only silicone is appropriate as petroleum based greases will cause the rubber boots to swell.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 04:09 PM   #10
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

The DIY I watched said to lube them, I used silicon based grease. I also greased the backs of the pads where they make contact with the calipers. When I did the brakes there was leftover lubricant from the previous pad change, which was done by an indy mechanic I trust more than the stealership, FWIW.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 11:38 AM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Both the Bentley and the BMW TIS procedure for overhauling the brakes say not to lube the pins. I have both the Bentley and the BMW TIS procedure.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 07:27 PM   #12
kenmar
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks. That settles it
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 08:51 PM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. That settles it
Here's the BMW TIS procedure regarding the subject:
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0