E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Parts > xHP Flashtool - Flash your automatic trans! Official thread

08-13-2018, 12:54 PM   #2223
Toome
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmode View Post
A little off topic here, but I also do hit the 1/4 mile track often and use custom shift points which is great. The issue I'm having now is that under WOT, when my car goes to make the 3rd to 4th shift, the trans slips for a second, rpms rev up, then engages in 4th gear. It doesn't do it all the time, but when it does happen, one of two things happen. After the shift the car continues under full power and feels good, and other times after the shift it still feels like it is slipping even though it is engaged in 4th gear. I get no malfunction errors on my dash when this happens. It seems to happen more if I set the custom shift points below 5600 rpms. Do you have any input on what I should look into or what is causing this? My car has 85 000 kms.
Has the transmission fluid ever been replaced? If not I would do the full tranny service since you are nearing the 60k mile mark.
      08-13-2018, 01:01 PM   #2224
flipmode
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toome View Post
Has the transmission fluid ever been replaced? If not I would do the full tranny service since you are nearing the 60k mile mark.
No, the car has never had a transmission fluid change.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 03:18 PM   #2225
Toome
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
No, the car has never had a transmission fluid change.
I would look into getting that done. Helped a lot with some of the slipping and lurching I was experiencing with stage 3.
      08-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #2226
flipmode
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I would look into getting that done. Helped a lot with some of the slipping and lurching I was experiencing with stage 3.
Would you do the filter as well? They say the filter is part of the transmission pan?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #2227
Street of Rage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i e92

Quote:
Would you do the filter as well? They say the filter is part of the transmission pan?
Yes. I would everything, for the ease of mind. Then you don't have to worry about the filter pan on the next fluid change, probably around 120k-ish km for you.

DIY video

Last edited by Street of Rage; 08-13-2018 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 06:36 PM   #2228
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,19 X5 35i,14 C63 AMG

Quote:
+1 for the trans fluid change, it is time and yes do the filter which is unfortunately a new transmission pan as it is built in and you will need a new seal and new bolts as they are single use. I would also do the mechatronics sleeve while in there, they are 18 bucks, prone to leaking and easy to do once the pan is off (like 15 minutes extra work) especially if you have never done it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 09:12 PM   #2229
dsocold
Captain
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBT-Tuning View Post
We're working on the next release and will have 3 new features ready for you!
  1. Shiftpoint Editor
  2. Shift Speed Settings
  3. Lockout 6th Gear in S-Mode Switch

1. Shiftpoint Settings

xHP will offer an easy to use interface, where everyone can dial his shiftpoints in D and S mode up/down with a slider in the app! xHP will apply this setting to any map flashed. Attached is a chart, showing the effect of -25% and +25% settings on a 2009 335i. Getting a shiftmap right isn't that easy and usually requires a lot of changing/flashing/changing/flashing iterations. Each mode uses more than one map and the trans jumps between those maps during driving. So people doing custom shiftmaps by themselves, usually have to put a lot of effort in it, before it's working flawless. Anyone interested was able to do this with xHP from the start, but it was a manual process, not really appealing to many people and they were only able to do this with their own maps, as our OTS Maps weren't changeable in the past.

With the shiftpoint editor we autmated a lot of the hassle and dead-lock checking for you. Every up/down shift can be configured through a slider from -30% to + 30%. Note: The max. values may change slightly for release, we are still testing on various vehicles and maps. xHP then saves your setting and pre-calculates the changes for every OTS Map saved on the device. During this process, everything gets validated and corrected to prevent creating dead-locks (infinite up-down shifting), lugging the engine below idle-speed etc. It's a set of 10 rules, that gets applied multiple times to all maps, to get them right before flash. If you created a setting that's impossible to apply, the app will inform the user accordingly.

2. Shift Speed Settings

Especially the Stage 3 Maps are really aggressive in M-Mode, for some users maybe to aggressive, despite they liked the rest of the Stage 3 Setup. With this new feature, people now can alter the shift-speed/aggressivness of the manual shifts. This works for all Stage 3 Maps and for all N54/N55 cars, regardless what Map is used. On other cars or Stages, this settings won't have any effect. Of course it also works in the other direction..people wanting more than Stage 3 standard, can turn up things a bit more....

3. Lockout 6th Gear in S-Mode

Since launch of xHP this is an endless debate. Some users want the trans to engage 6th Gear on Highway Speeds when using S-Mode, others don't and complain about the exact same thing. Most BMW do not use 6th Gear in S-Mode. Thats factory setup and is due to German Autobahn. Nothing more annoying then a transmission shifting back and forth between 5th and 6th Gear on steady 200km/h+ drives. On the other side, customers in other coutntries use S-Mode as Standard mode and complain about bad mileage on the highway. Our OTS Maps mostly use 6th Gear in S-Mode, as most of our customer base does not have the pleasure of unlimited motorways.

To end this struggle, users can use this switch to lockout 6th Gear in S, despite most of our OTS Maps are configured different.
My question is At what percentage does it match the level of aggressiveness of the stage 3 V2.0 shift aggress... +20% ? or higher than that? or what your saying is that + or - 20% is the most or the least we can alter the affect of the shift speed compared to stg3 ?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #2230
RBT-Tuning
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Austria
Rep

Drives: 335i F31 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paanzerfaust View Post
you guys ignore us drag racers and/or tell your customers what they do or don't want.
Please read the post again. You misunderstood something. It's not about telling what you or somebody else wants, it's about explaining what actually makes a car propel forward. Just looking at a log and saying "i'm losing 0.3 sec on each shift" does not work. An auto-trans never disengages, like a manual. It transfers torque even during shifting. Thats the charme of it. So even if you cut your shifttime to a minimum you might be slower, because you lose torque transfer to make the shift fast. Stage 3 on 335i is quicker in a straight line, not only because of the shift itself being faster, BUT because it also transfers more torque during shift phase, compared to the standard setup. But you can't stretch that forever. Cutting down shift times even more will make your engine bog and lose boost. On top of that, that even depends on your engine setup and tune. What works for one, might not be perfect for somebody elses setup.

However, it's very simple to have M-Mode in Stage 3 auto-shift for you. You just have to set your desired Shift-RPM for each gear in M-Mode in the Custom Module to override the standard True-Manual behaviour of Stage 3. Just like another user posted it here a few days ago. Then use the shift-speed setting to adjust as you like, depending on your personal measurements.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #2231
RBT-Tuning
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Austria
Rep

Drives: 335i F31 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsocold View Post
My question is At what percentage does it match the level of aggressiveness of the stage 3 V2.0 shift aggress... +20% ? or higher than that? or what your saying is that + or - 20% is the most or the least we can alter the affect of the shift speed compared to stg3 ?
All functions of the Custom Module change things RELATIVE to the map flashed. You flash (for example) Stage 3 and if there are adjustments made in the Custom Module, the App will alter the Map on the fly during flashing.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 12:54 PM   #2232
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Reset adaptations when changing fluid?

Quote:
Sorry to keep taking this off topic but just to chime in...

I wasn't having any issues, knock on wood, but I actually just had my fluid pan and filter changed. Also, had the mechatronics seal, the sealing sleeve and a seal on the valve body replaced too. Not sure of the standardized names or part #'s of those things.

The BMW tech I use said there is a "test plan" that should be done when changing trans fluid. Obviously this would be done with the latest and greatest software that they have at the dealerships. I haven't had him do this yet.

I'm not sure if this "test plan" is the same as resetting adaptations with INPA. I've also heard it mentioned on the forums that you can do a "functional job" in ISTA/d and that does some sort of reset but not as complete as the one that INPA does. Not sure if that is true or not. Maybe what ISTA/d does is the same as the dealerships test plan (but different from resetting adaptations in INPA) and basically tells the TCU - hey there is new fluid in there now.

I'm xdrive and he also change the fluid in the transfer case and there is a test plan you can perform on that too when putting new fluid in.

I believe Xhp's stance is to only reset adaptations when replacing hard parts. Other forum members have different opinions. I've found blogs like this one from FCP Euro that says you should reset after changing fluid: https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-rese...daptations-zf6

Basically I can't seem to find a general consensus.

Does anyone know the official recommendation from ZF and/or BMW?

Does anyone know if there are differences between the dealership running the "test plan", "functional job" in ISTA/d, and resetting adaptations with INPA?

Thanks!
      08-15-2018, 04:16 AM   #2233
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335d LCI Sport Saloon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish123 View Post

I wasn't having any issues, knock on wood, but I actually just had my fluid pan and filter changed. Also, had the mechatronics seal, the sealing sleeve and a seal on the valve body replaced too. Not sure of the standardized names or part #'s of those things.

The BMW tech I use said there is a "test plan" that should be done when changing trans fluid. Obviously this would be done with the latest and greatest software that they have at the dealerships. I haven't had him do this yet.

I'm not sure if this "test plan" is the same as resetting adaptations with INPA. I've also heard it mentioned on the forums that you can do a "functional job" in ISTA/d and that does some sort of reset but not as complete as the one that INPA does. Not sure if that is true or not. Maybe what ISTA/d does is the same as the dealerships test plan (but different from resetting adaptations in INPA) and basically tells the TCU - hey there is new fluid in there now.

I'm xdrive and he also change the fluid in the transfer case and there is a test plan you can perform on that too when putting new fluid in.

I believe Xhp's stance is to only reset adaptations when replacing hard parts. Other forum members have different opinions. I've found blogs like this one from FCP Euro that says you should reset after changing fluid: https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-rese...daptations-zf6

Does anyone know if there are differences between the dealership running the "test plan", "functional job" in ISTA/d, and resetting adaptations with INPA?

Thanks!
Official ZF guide here:

https://www.zf.com/global/media/medi...t_50145_EN.pdf
E90 335D LCI Individual Azurite Black // Individual Anthracite Maple Trim // HEL Braided Brake Hoses // Valencia Orange Veemann VM2 19" // EBC Grooved Discs & Yellow Stuff Pads // H&R Cup Kit // M3 Control Arms // RSW // xHp Stage 3
Euro Alpine Road Trips 2014 2016 2017 2018 2019
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 05:08 PM   #2234
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335 msport

I'm glad someone aka Paanzerfaust is understanding what I'm trying to find out. I understand what rbt is saying about custom shift points in m mode but if s is more ideal for drag having to alter m mode sucks . I cant flash my transmission when I want to run someone from a light then pull over and flash back so I can get sideways and not upshift into trees cause I smacked my shiftpoint. And most important as you stated fastest is going to be different for different cars so we need to know the formula or relationship used for percentage or if fixed the amount of torque reduction and then the delay of reintroduction. Honestly stock hardware prob is faster to mush the shift, lay on converter and so forth but high hp guys running bias ply tires can take a hit to the tire especially If we are unloading during shift because of torque reduction anyway. At that point it may be faster to shift as fast possible with very little power transfer during shift and then have full power with no post shift timing correction. Our cars hold boost very well on shift I personally have had issues overboosting after shifts which causes throttle closure a faster shift may avoid that. On other hand knowing the max torque that can be transferred during a shift can let each individual discern what is best cause certain power levels could benefit if only losing say 20 percent. Problem is we dont know and last but not least drag guys need to worry about flashing converter and glazing clutches which is prob flipmodes issue shifting at lower rpm because he is coming into the extreme meat of his torque curve we basically just want little more info and if you already did the work to alter shift speed with sliders it would be great if could be added to s mode if its alot of work for some reason above my head i understand. Thankyou for amazing work just trying to find out how to use to fullest potential. You have opened doors for this community I just want to walk through em
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 05:17 PM   #2235
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish123 View Post

Thanks!
Partial change don't reset, full change including converter needs reset, if your sleeve or anything was worn or leaking , filter clogged up etc you need to clear those stored values and get fresh start. Doing reset for anything less is wear for no reason as you will arrive at pretty much same values. Just think to yourself is what I just did going to change way anything in my transmission works like replacing bad solenoid. Then that means that your TCU needs to forget to favor that failing part.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 05:26 PM   #2236
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Also is their a way to use custom shiftpoints and still have true manual or would just be able to set manual shiftpoints ar like 9k and that will have same end result sorry for multiple posts I just caught up with thread and alot things on my mind
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 07:29 PM   #2237
madskillzE90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 AWD

I have run into a problem. I purchased the super license months ago. And had the app on my android phone.

I now have a new Apple phone and...... Yea

How do I go about getting this app on my phone and recovering access to my tunes and back up of TCU
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 08:20 PM   #2238
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Get android tablet download xhp under your same gmail license is back and you can flash the proper stock file with xhp I belive worse case follow a coding diy to setup standard tools
Some use emulator on windows or mac for mhd and xhp with success I've never tried
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 05:58 AM   #2239
flipmode
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob09msport View Post
I'm glad someone aka Paanzerfaust is understanding what I'm trying to find out. I understand what rbt is saying about custom shift points in m mode but if s is more ideal for drag having to alter m mode sucks . I cant flash my transmission when I want to run someone from a light then pull over and flash back so I can get sideways and not upshift into trees cause I smacked my shiftpoint. And most important as you stated fastest is going to be different for different cars so we need to know the formula or relationship used for percentage or if fixed the amount of torque reduction and then the delay of reintroduction. Honestly stock hardware prob is faster to mush the shift, lay on converter and so forth but high hp guys running bias ply tires can take a hit to the tire especially If we are unloading during shift because of torque reduction anyway. At that point it may be faster to shift as fast possible with very little power transfer during shift and then have full power with no post shift timing correction. Our cars hold boost very well on shift I personally have had issues overboosting after shifts which causes throttle closure a faster shift may avoid that. On other hand knowing the max torque that can be transferred during a shift can let each individual discern what is best cause certain power levels could benefit if only losing say 20 percent. Problem is we dont know and last but not least drag guys need to worry about flashing converter and glazing clutches which is prob flipmodes issue shifting at lower rpm because he is coming into the extreme meat of his torque curve we basically just want little more info and if you already did the work to alter shift speed with sliders it would be great if could be added to s mode if its alot of work for some reason above my head i understand. Thankyou for amazing work just trying to find out how to use to fullest potential. You have opened doors for this community I just want to walk through em

Yes I agree with your statement. Running on a stock turbo, you should be shifting around 5300-5400 rpms. The problem with this is that when the car makes its shift into the next gear, you are entering directly into the meat of the cars torque curve, which is very hard on the clutches in your transmission and causes it to slip sometimes. So far this seems to happen only on my 3rd to 4th gear shift. If I increase my shift point to anything above 5600 rpm, it doesn't slip. As well the slip only happens in m mode or s mode. I have never had it slip in d mode.

Last edited by flipmode; 08-16-2018 at 06:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 06:22 AM   #2240
flipmode
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Please read the post again. You misunderstood something. It's not about telling what you or somebody else wants, it's about explaining what actually makes a car propel forward. Just looking at a log and saying "i'm losing 0.3 sec on each shift" does not work. An auto-trans never disengages, like a manual. It transfers torque even during shifting. Thats the charme of it. So even if you cut your shifttime to a minimum you might be slower, because you lose torque transfer to make the shift fast. Stage 3 on 335i is quicker in a straight line, not only because of the shift itself being faster, BUT because it also transfers more torque during shift phase, compared to the standard setup. But you can't stretch that forever. Cutting down shift times even more will make your engine bog and lose boost. On top of that, that even depends on your engine setup and tune. What works for one, might not be perfect for somebody elses setup.

However, it's very simple to have M-Mode in Stage 3 auto-shift for you. You just have to set your desired Shift-RPM for each gear in M-Mode in the Custom Module to override the standard True-Manual behaviour of Stage 3. Just like another user posted it here a few days ago. Then use the shift-speed setting to adjust as you like, depending on your personal measurements.
So if I'm understanding this right, if I use the shift-speed setting and increase the shift slider, I will get faster shifts, but lose the ability to hold the torque properly going into the next gear. And if I lower the shift-speed slider, my shifts will be slower, but will be able to handle more torque while it switches gears. I understand people want fast shifts, especially for drag racing, but if it sacrifices your transmission not to hold torque properly during shifts, that is not good either. If this is the case, having a slider for s mode and m mode would be great.

Last edited by flipmode; 08-16-2018 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 12:08 PM   #2241
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So if I'm understanding this right, if I use the shift-speed setting and increase the shift slider, I will get faster shifts, but lose the ability to hold the torque properly going into the next gear. And if I lower the shift-speed slider, my shifts will be slower, but will be able to handle more torque while it switches gears. I understand people want fast shifts, especially for drag racing, but if it sacrifices your transmission not to hold torque properly during shifts, that is not good either. If this is the case, having a slider for s mode and m mode would be great.
You are perfect example of why knowing torque reintroduction relationship with shift speed would be helpful cause you could nurse your tranny for now by letting It lock up into the next gear completely, are you ots or custom mhd tune and what tranny choice did you select. As far as I can tell xhp choice is same as alpina it actually reads in log that you chose alpina . I would choose dct or mt , I noticed dct says something about timing during shift I honestly dont know what it's doing but from a reported torque POV dct and mt are the ones that def report highest which should allow highest clamping force
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #2242
flipmode
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob09msport View Post
You are perfect example of why knowing torque reintroduction relationship with shift speed would be helpful cause you could nurse your tranny for now by letting It lock up into the next gear completely, are you ots or custom mhd tune and what tranny choice did you select. As far as I can tell xhp choice is same as alpina it actually reads in log that you chose alpina . I would choose dct or mt , I noticed dct says something about timing during shift I honestly dont know what it's doing but from a reported torque POV dct and mt are the ones that def report highest which should allow highest clamping force
My problems all started once I switched over to the ots MHD E30 tune from stage 2 +. I selected mt when choosing a transmission type before the flash. For drag racing I want to shift as early as possible, but that leaves me switching into my next gear in the meat of my torque curve and my transmission isnít locking into the next gear. If I had a slider option to slow down my shift speed to increase my torque clamping force going into the next gear, that would be great. I canít use my s mode under WOT unless Iím switching gears above 5600 rpm to stay out of my torque curve going into my next gear.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 01:08 PM   #2243
dsocold
Captain
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsocold View Post
All functions of the Custom Module change things RELATIVE to the map flashed. You flash (for example) Stage 3 and if there are adjustments made in the Custom Module, the App will alter the Map on the fly during flashing.
I understnd they alter each map but lets say i flash a stage 3 map and i enable the shift aggress feature and i set all the shift speeds to max +50 is it gonna shift faster than a stage 3 map with the shift speed disabled? basically i am asking if you gave us the option to surpass the stage 3 downshift speeds... My transmission is fairly new so my stage 3 rocks i love it and i dont see no need to lower the shift speed in any besides from 2-1 which i lowered and now behaves much better
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #2244
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

App just got updated today so I'm going to play with the shift map editor. Not sure if anyone else had a chance to try out the new feature.

As far as downshifts, I want the car to be more "eager" to downshift from 6th to 5th and 5th to 4th.

The upshifts sliders make sense to me (especially with the explanation in the app and what was posted here last week) but I'm just not 100% sure about downshifts.

I believe I'm understanding correctly - Would I be correct in saying that moving the sliders to right (positive) in the downshift section, will make the car more eager to drop a gear when I press down more on the gas pedal? In other words, sliding to the right means that the downshift will occur at a higher speed meaning the car should be more likely to downshift with increased throttle as opposed to stay in the gear the at is currently in.