E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Porsche Cayman S

04-22-2008, 04:53 AM   #1
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Porsche Cayman S

As Dr Crap has posted his thread about Porsche profit margins, it got me thinking and I've been perusing the Porsche website.

The Cayman S looks quite appealing and affordable so wondered what you guys thought of them? Thanks Helen.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 05:26 AM   #2
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

Fantastic chassis but could do with a bit more grunt.

Great fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 06:26 AM   #3
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Porsche gave me one to play with for 24 hours last August. Absolutely loved every minute in it, but that was on a lovely sunny day playing on some of Yorkshire's finest roads rather than stuck in crawling traffic. Heavyish clutch and noisier than the BM However, it was superb fun, felt like you were in a proper sports car, was glued to the road and had all the grunt I needed to behave like a hooligan! also turned a few heads. People wrongly suggest that it's a poor man's 911 (The one I drove was specced up to £53,000), but I disagree. It's a great car in its own right.

As a daily vehicle I could happily live with it, but am currently considering spending a bit less on cars and directing cash elsewhere.
Attached Images

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Cool photos RockIt! Thanks for posting those, I really like the colour of the car as well. I had heard that the clutches can be on the heavy side, but would it be sacrilege to get one with tiptronic though?

Just rang the dealers in Sheffield as they're my nearest and she was very helpful but I can't have a brochure as apparently they get sold on ebay! Can I ask how you managed to get a 24 hour test drive? Ta.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 06:41 AM   #5
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Basic price might be "affordable"....but "basic" and "Porsche" rarely exist in smae sentence...if they do then resale will be crap!!

Very capable cars, and in the right colour combo look good - my personal favourite is white bodywork with black alloys - stunning!

Running costs are pretty reasonable too....until you want to change, when dep'n can come as a shock....

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 07:03 AM   #6
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
handle superb, better than the 911

If it came with an LSD they would be kicking 911 butt everywhere.

bit down on putright power though...

Super charger will soon fix that

I was gonna get one of these as a project car, hoof in a 911turbo engine and away you go !

SJ
      04-22-2008, 07:27 AM   #7
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Cool photos RockIt! Thanks for posting those, I really like the colour of the car as well. I had heard that the clutches can be on the heavy side, but would it be sacrilege to get one with tiptronic though?

Just rang the dealers in Sheffield as they're my nearest and she was very helpful but I can't have a brochure as apparently they get sold on ebay! Can I ask how you managed to get a 24 hour test drive? Ta.
Hi Beemerbird

Clutch wasn't a massive issue to be fair and quite easy to live with.

The test drive was part of a marketing drive by Porsche UK. A number of past and present RX8 owners received invitations apparently. I'm sure if you contacted the dealership or spoke to Porsche UK directly they would offer a decent drive.

I used the new Porsche centre in Leeds and was treated in the most courteous and professional way I have ever been treated at any car dealership. At no time did they even hint that I might not be able to afford a car, or that I was wasting their time taking up the offer etc. No smarmy salesman, prompt and efficient service and a thoroughly pleasant experience, in fact I was asked if I wanted a drive in a Carrera 2 I was admiring.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 07:56 AM   #8
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330d M Sport Auto

Garage List
Quote:
As Dr Crap has posted his thread about Porsche profit margins, it got me thinking and I've been perusing the Porsche website.

The Cayman S looks quite appealing and affordable so wondered what you guys thought of them? Thanks Helen.
Always fancied a 911 but a Cayman is good enough for me - would have to be the S though.

Younger brother of my mate got a call out the blue from Porsche and was offered the Cayman S for 24 hours (he drives a E92 325i) he took them up on their offer (would have been rude not too) and loved it......apparently he's started saving.

I imagine if you start perusing them at Dealers you'll be on the slippery slope to parting with the best part of £50K. Depreciation should be good though compared to a say an M3
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 08:06 AM   #9
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for all the info. guys.

On the subject of depreciation, I'd assumed that a certain level of 'kit' would be obligatory as per most premium brand cars?

As I understand it, Porsche engines emit quite high CO2 levels which obviously affects the VED band. My personal thoughts were, that I could not really imagine that people who buy a Porsche seriously give a monkeys chuff about the VED band - I don't. Therefore is this really going to affect the second hand value etc?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #10
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for all the info. guys.

On the subject of depreciation, I'd assumed that a certain level of 'kit' would be obligatory as per most premium brand cars?

As I understand it, Porsche engines emit quite high CO2 levels which obviously affects the VED band. My personal thoughts were, that I could not really imagine that people who buy a Porsche seriously give a monkeys chuff about the VED band - I don't. Therefore is this really going to affect the second hand value etc?
I very much doubt the VED will effect the used car value of a Porsche. Anyone wanting a Porsche ain't going to be bothered by emissions, fuel economy etc.

I have heard that leather and climate are a must for resale value though - not sure what the standard spec of a Cayman is - I daren't walk into a dealership and take a look.

I'll be going home with........."Honey, guess what I have bought today"....I can feel the blow of the frying pan now

PhilR
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #11
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
I have heard that leather and climate are a must for resale value though - not sure what the standard spec of a Cayman is - I daren't walk into a dealership and take a look.

I'll be going home with........."Honey, guess what I have bought today"....I can feel the blow of the frying pan now

PhilR
Phil, had a quick 'skeg' & yep, leather & climate appear a must and they push the ceramic brakes thing alot. Haven't seen many with sat. nav. though? I'm used to having it now and surely you don't stick a bloody tom tom in a Porsche.

Anyhow, thought it would be "PET, guess what etc.
I always get the "You always get what you want" lecture, after he's the one that encourages me to get one in the first place!!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 08:54 AM   #12
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Quote:
Phil, had a quick 'skeg' & yep, leather & climate appear a must and they push the ceramic brakes thing alot. Haven't seen many with sat. nav. though? I'm used to having it now and surely you don't stick a bloody tom tom in a Porsche.

I always get the "You always get what you want" lecture, after he's the one that encourages me to get one in the first place!!
Just check the equipment lists of Porsche Approved cars, then price them up new.....then

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #13
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

If I really want something I just go and get it...and then put up with the consequences later. But it's nice to get the seal of approval first, not that it would stop me.

The always get what you want lecture usually occurs some time later at an appropriate time..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #14
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Garage List
Have you looked at Porsche's options lists? You could add on the full cost of a car if you really went for it!

The one I drove had leather, sat nav, telephone prep, optional aluminium handbrake and gearshift, upgraded alloys, centre wheel caps etc. etc. Don't think the ceramic brakes are a must unless you really intend driving it hard or taking it on the track.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 11:18 AM   #15
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Helen,i've got that porsche itch to scratch aswell and have had a wonder into OPC Nottm in me works van and covered in shite a couple of weeks ago not at all on purpose but found the guys very obliging,warm and cuddly.But..............now cant decide on a used C2s orwait till the revised 997 comes out and will be available next spring for a factory order . Anyway whilst i was there i had a good look round a couple of Caymens and thought they look gorgeous just not "manly" enough for me go for it Top Bird - You know you want too

Ps they will do a deal
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #16
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post
Helen,i've got that porsche itch to scratch aswell and have had a wonder into OPC Nottm in me works van and covered in shite a couple of weeks ago not at all on purpose but found the guys very obliging,warm and cuddly.But..............now cant decide on a used C2s orwait till the revised 997 comes out and will be available next spring for a factory order . Anyway whilst i was there i had a good look round a couple of Caymens and thought they look gorgeous just not "manly" enough for me go for it Top Bird - You know you want too

Ps they will do a deal

Man you wind me up. The amount of times ive asked you this (about your interesst in a 997) and you have blanked me so many times.

04-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #17
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Man you wind me up. The amount of times ive asked you this (about your interesst in a 997) and you have blanked me so many times.

De Carlos, please Pm me your direct line no, so i can check with you the next time i am thinking about changing my motor.Thank you

Note to moderator: i have just been interenet warriored on E90 and have not retaliated in any way -
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 11:49 AM   #18
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
No buts its nice to reply to a poster whose posted directly towards you and what your were saying. Its happened countless times when ive asked you about 997's
      04-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #19
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
No buts its nice to reply to a poster whose posted directly towards you and what your were saying. Its happened countless times when ive asked you about 997's
sigh::Carlos,get a life my friend and you wont be so interested in mine.

2nd note to moderator; I'm close now
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #20
Alex1974
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Helen, you can download the full brochure from the Porsche website:

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf..._MY08_PCGB.pdf

I love the Cayman S, if it was 40k specced up rather than 50 I would have gone for one rather than the 335i.

I say go for it, definitely get a manual though!
      04-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #21
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post

Ps they will do a deal
Cheers Calvin, thanks for the info. Nottingham is only down the M1, not far eh. I agree the Caymens do look gorgeous and more than manly enough for me You'll have to get that itch scratched though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1974 View Post
Helen, you can download the full brochure from the Porsche website:

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf..._MY08_PCGB.pdf

I love the Cayman S, if it was 40k specced up rather than 50 I would have gone for one rather than the 335i.

I say go for it, definitely get a manual though!
Thanks for that Alex. Had a quick look at prices when specced up .

Think I'd go the second hand route TBH.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 01:05 PM   #22
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Hi Helen

Try porsche in burgess hill sussex .They gladly sent me a brochure on the 911 its like a book ,They was good as gold .

That said i did mention my friend bought a carrera4 and his gt3 from them
Appreciate 0