E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help!!! e93 roof problem.***** Resolved

05-10-2017, 07:53 PM   #1
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e93

Help!!! e93 roof problem.***** Resolved

So I have had this intermittent problem for a couple months now and today it has come and remained.

Will try to make it as short as I can.

2007 335i e93. When opening the top...... the operation is all normal until the roof folds into the trunk. At this point my trunk lid won't go down. I can hear the motor running but no movement. In the recent past I simply push the button to bring top up out of the trunk then push again to drop roof back into trunk. Normally this works and the trunk lid closes. But today nothing is working. I have inspected the trunk, folded roof and latches etc and do not see anything that would get in the way, broken or out of place. In addition the folded roof sometimes gets stuck when trying to come out of the trunk. Seems something is catching. When I give it a little help the operation resumes and it closes without a problem.

I've searched the Internet and this forum for similar complaints and have only found ones concerning the top getting stuck in the trunk. Either bad salmon relays, bad pumps or lunrication of the various joints were the fixes.

Those are easy enough but the big concern is the trunk lid not closing when the roof is in the trunk.

Has anyone heard of this issue and a possible fix? Any help will be much appreciated. I have a trip to Florida at the end of the month and would really suck if I couldn't cruised with the top down enjoying the sunshine.

Last edited by Navy Doc; 05-17-2017 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 08:36 PM   #2
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

The trunk lid won't close because the roof assembly isn't going all the way down. The issue isn't the lid, rather the roof not being able to go down all the way. There is either something in the way or an issue with the mechanics.

You said when you "help" it that tends to work. I would be very careful about forcing that roof because you could make it worse.

I know this is a stupidly obvious suggestion but make sure your trunk is empty, including around the sides.

Have someone lower the top for you while you inspect it and see if you could see any irregularities.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2017, 08:45 PM   #3
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep

The helping part I mentioned was for closing the top. A small amount of upward pressure to get what appeared to be the stuck corner. I wouldn't dare apply anymore pressure than that.

Trunk is empty and I have studied the opening/closing closely as it goes through its operation. I have watched that thing move through its operation so much that I get an overheat message concerning the roof motors. I have not seen anything that would get in the way back there.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
Krynos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 335i, F10 528i

If it's not a lube problem, or the relays then I really think you need to go have the dealer take a look. The roof isn't really very user serviceable. A small mis-alignment could also be causing the problems you describe.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #5
HomoPirate
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Always BMW

The dealer should be your last resort.

Start with lubrication on all the joints and hinges using the guide here on the forum.

Two months ago, the initial top down action of my e93 was interrupted and I got popped message in iDrive. If I try closing the top then put it down again, it operates normally.

So, the steps to make the top down are:

I press down the button to put the top down, (I hear the mechanic working but the top didn't move) after 2-3 seconds it gets interrupted, popped message in iDrive.

Then I pulled the button to get it closes completely, after that I press the button again to get it down. This time the top will go down like it normally does.

I have this problem everytime I try put the top down.

My initial thought was the two relays went bad?! or the pump went bad?!

Instead of wasting money for nothing I don't know, I start with lubrication. After lubrication on the whole system, its make significant improvements on my e93 and I never encounter the interruption again.

I know the top of our car is a bitch to deal with.

Everyone has different story of their top malfunction. I can't certainly tell what's wrong with your top.

Try with the cheapest/ simplest fixes before bringing it to another level will be your best bet.
Current: F87 M2 Competition Long Beach Blue | Completely Stock |
Appreciate 1
bimmette6453.50
      05-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomoPirate View Post
The dealer should be your last resort.

Start with lubrication on all the joints and hinges using the guide here on the forum.

Two months ago, the initial top down action of my e93 was interrupted and I got popped message in iDrive. If I try closing the top then put it down again, it operates normally.

So, the steps to make the top down are:

I press down the button to put the top down, (I hear the mechanic working but the top didn't move) after 2-3 seconds it gets interrupted, popped message in iDrive.

Then I pulled the button to get it closes completely, after that I press the button again to get it down. This time the top will go down like it normally does.

I have this problem everytime I try put the top down.

My initial thought was the two relays went bad?! or the pump went bad?!

Instead of wasting money for nothing I don't know, I start with lubrication. After lubrication on the whole system, its make significant improvements on my e93 and I never encounter the interruption again.

I know the top of our car is a bitch to deal with.

Everyone has different story of their top malfunction. I can't certainly tell what's wrong with your top.

Try with the cheapest/ simplest fixes before bringing it to another level will be your best bet.
The stealership will be my last resort.

I have completed the lubrication as described in diy within the forum. I had hoped that it was the problem........ but no such luck.

I think I have narrowed it down to the "roof package stowed" hall sensor. Apparently it's a sensor that tells the car that the roof is properly stowed in the trunk so that it may move onto the next step in the sequence.

Will be shopping around for that. I assume that's it's one of those dealer only parts and will have to just suck it up. But it's a small sensor would guess under $50.

Will update along the way.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #7
NashvegasR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 F83

One idea

This happened to my old 2009 M3 E93. In my case the problem was latches/locks that "lock" the roof in the down position once it fully goes into the trunk area. Once those are "locked", then the trunk lid pivots back down is my understanding.

The dealership lubricated my "latch package" on both left and right side and it seemed to fix the problem.

Might want to try. I don't have pics but when the top is halfway lowered you can see these "latches" and maybe try spraying a little lubricant. I use something called T-9 as it's high quality, doesn't smell like WD40 and doesn't make a mess. Be super careful spraying it around because you'll spot your interior headliner if you get it everywhere.

The other thing -- make sure your owners manual isn't in the left or right side of your trunk area. It'll cause this same symptom (and annoying dents to the top C pillars and roof).
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #8
mxchris727
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 M5, '06 325i, '12 M3

Replace your relays; I bet that's the issue.
      05-14-2017, 08:21 PM   #9
likecars
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Convertible

Just another someone with a similar issue on my previous 2008 E93.

Pin size hole in one of the hydraulic lines on the passenger side. Fluid leaked into the storage area vice the car, which was nice. Took the dealer awhile to track down, at the time it was still under warranty. Have you checked the reservoir level in the trunk under the liner panel? Hope you find the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 06:26 AM   #10
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by likecars View Post
Just another someone with a similar issue on my previous 2008 E93.

Pin size hole in one of the hydraulic lines on the passenger side. Fluid leaked into the storage area vice the car, which was nice. Took the dealer awhile to track down, at the time it was still under warranty. Have you checked the reservoir level in the trunk under the liner panel? Hope you find the problem.
I have not. Will check into that when I get home. I have not seen any fluids in or around the trunk. I'm still hoping it's that hall sensor. Awaiting arrival from ECS. Should know by this weekend if it is or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 10:00 PM   #11
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep

Update as promised:

Finally received the part (hall sensor). Install took less that 5 minutes and my roof once again folds all the way down.

So in a nutshell: roof would fold down into the trunk but the trunk lid would not go down. Lubricated all the hinges without any changes. Suspected the "roof package stowed" sensor. Ordered from ECS. Installed and once again I have a working convertible.

Thanks all for all the input. Now onto my next problems (blower motor and passenger seat restrained malfunction).
Appreciate 4
Jarrod72.50
Snail15.00
Gauren1.50
      05-18-2017, 01:36 PM   #12
likecars
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Convertible

Good to hear.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 01:45 PM   #13
HomoPirate
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Always BMW

Congrats you sorted out the problem by yourself.

I know that's the feeling good moment when the roof alive again.

Would you mind to list the parts number of the sensor for us? that help other e93 owners save times on finding parts.
Current: F87 M2 Competition Long Beach Blue | Completely Stock |
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 01:56 PM   #14
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomoPirate View Post
Congrats you sorted out the problem by yourself.

I know that's the feeling good moment when the roof alive again.

Would you mind to list the parts number of the sensor for us? that help other e93 owners save times on finding parts.
Absolutely.

Mfg Part # 54377197982
ECS Part # ES#159152
Brand Genuine BMW
Previous Revisions
54377148154, 54377183325
Appreciate 3
Jarrod72.50
Snail15.00
Mister_R408.00
      07-28-2019, 11:25 AM   #15
geepmaley
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Doc View Post
Absolutely.

Mfg Part # 54377197982
ECS Part # ES#159152
Brand Genuine BMW
Previous Revisions
54377148154, 54377183325
Just had the same issue today on my 2007. Was glad to get the top back up and it seemed to slam a bit when landing on the windshield.

Where is the sensor you replaced located? I’m curious if I have the same issue you had an have no clue where any of the sensors for the roof are

Last edited by geepmaley; 07-28-2019 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:07 PM   #16
scasey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93-335i, 1995 E31 850i

Top Error

Hello, I have a 2010 E93. Car sat for a month or so during Covid lockdown. When I got back in - the error came up saying that the top is not locked, Top won't go down and the chime goes off continuously while driving. I have setup INPA but when I go to get fault code I get: "The requested control unit ‘CTM_93_2,CTM_93_3’ not found. Control unit found CTM_93_5’. Program will be stopped"

I take this to mean that I am looking for at 93.2 CTM but my car has a 93.5. Do you have any idea how I can instruct INPA to look for 93.5 or load the correct reference file into the program.

Or any other ideas about the roof issue. I fix most things on this car but first problem with the roof.

Thank you kindly if you can help.

Shaun
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 03:12 AM   #17
Dansul
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E93, BMW 125i, Triumph TR6

Thanks

Thanks to all who posted here, it was helpful for me to fix my roof problem today. BTW, I used SWAG hydraulic fluid ZH-M to top up and it is compatible.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 04:06 AM   #18
NRich77
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 325D E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by scasey View Post
Hello, I have a 2010 E93. Car sat for a month or so during Covid lockdown. When I got back in - the error came up saying that the top is not locked, Top won't go down and the chime goes off continuously while driving. I have setup INPA but when I go to get fault code I get: "The requested control unit ‘CTM_93_2,CTM_93_3’ not found. Control unit found CTM_93_5’. Program will be stopped"

I take this to mean that I am looking for at 93.2 CTM but my car has a 93.5. Do you have any idea how I can instruct INPA to look for 93.5 or load the correct reference file into the program.

Or any other ideas about the roof issue. I fix most things on this car but first problem with the roof.

Thank you kindly if you can help.

Shaun
Hi, have you resolved your issue yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 05:37 PM   #19
carlhorn16
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M Sport Coupe

I have similar issue - any ideas? Video of issue below

https://youtu.be/G_fAywEhkDc
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 03:44 PM   #20
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhorn16 View Post
I have similar issue - any ideas? Video of issue below

https://youtu.be/G_fAywEhkDc
Have you checked the pump to make sure it has enough fluid? Not saying that is the problem but I find checking the easy things first has some benefits. Also have you pulled any codes. If there are any they would be helpful in resolving your issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 05:36 AM   #21
SkippyE93
Rep
Drives: 335i conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Doc View Post
Absolutely.

Mfg Part # 54377197982
ECS Part # ES#159152
Brand Genuine BMW
Previous Revisions
54377148154, 54377183325
I'm trying to find something that describes or shows the location of the sensor so that I can replace it. The diagram in the manual was not helpful for me. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 11:39 AM   #22
jeff408
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i E93

I think I am having the same problem. I'll be ordering up the sensor. I also need to know its location. I'll be searching also and I'll post if I find out.