Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tyre Cracking/separation

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-08-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
Had0uken!
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E93 Convertible

Tyre Cracking/separation

Not the usual 19" alloy wheel cracking question...

What causes the inner tread rubber to crack? Or look like the sidewall is coming away? Reason being I had 2 new Bridgestone Potenza RE050A put on just over a year ago, ditched them for non run flats today and when the 2 front bridge stones were taken off they were circumferential cracks in the sidewall all the way around on both- tyres can't have done more than 10k.

The garage also said they look like they've been run on flat - can't be the case as I put them on brand new, never had any punctures or pressure issues and always ran them at around 40psi. Tbh they said the same about the rears being run flat when they were changed a 6 months ago and they'd never been run flat either - could it be too little tyre pressure? Even though I run 40psi front and 44 rear.

I know alignment needs doing as I'm getting inner tyre wear but could that have caused the cracking?

Pics attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 07:12 AM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Whoa.

Unrelated, but 40+ psi is a $hit ton of pressure.

What is the date code on the tires?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 08:33 AM   #3
Had0uken!
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E93 Convertible

Not sure on date code - i'll check that tonight. They were purchased new around a year ago and are BMW * approved - 10k miles on them might even be pushing it, could even be closer to 7-8k. No punctures, no damage or cracked alloys on the front. just the inside rubber cracking.

These were run at 40ish Psi on the front as the door sticker for the E93 convertible says 2.6 bar front for 2 people or 3.0 bar front for full load - so rather than the lowest 38 psi or highest of 44psi i went in the middleish so 40.

I've heard guys running 19s on the MV4's are 33fr 38r psi but the minimum on my door sticker for these tyre sizes are 38fr 41r.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #4
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

E93s need a shit tonne of rear tire PSI for all that weight back there. Keeping them any less results in ridiculously fast inner tire wear and sometimes separation.

Did you routinely stay on top of your tire pressure or just set them once and forgot about it? That sidewall separation and focussed excessive inner wear looks like they were running lower than they should be for quite some time.

The exact same thing happened to my father's E93 335i... No punctures, but it was running lower than minimum PSI for a long time, eventually the sidewall started wearing and cracking, exacerbating the drop in air pressure until one day it just came apart entirely.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2017, 04:54 AM   #5
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

To be honest, I think I've only seen this on E92 and E93 with the 19" wheels. Same scenario - not old tyres, rapid edge wear with heaps of meat left in the middle.

In my opinion it is due to the very low profile, RFT characteristics, cornering loads, front axle behaviour in turns and large diameter. All you have to do is turn the steering wheel full lock and have a look at what happens to the tyre. That's why even at the placard pressures, the edges wear really quick.
Appreciate 1