E90Post
 


The Tire Rack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > MY N53 (NOX, Injectors, rough run, sooty exhaust) Is running badly how do I diagnose



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-13-2018, 08:04 PM   #1
Will_460cs
First Lieutenant
149
Rep
334
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cambridgeshire

iTrader: (0)

MY N53 (NOX, Injectors, rough run, sooty exhaust) Is running badly how do I diagnose

So I have had my 325I E91 LCI for a couple of years and I like maintaining it myself, it quite a complex beast so here's the outcome of lessons I've learned along the way.
This is relevant to when its not running properly, it may have rough idle particularly when cold, has an excessively sooty exhaust or you suspect leaky injectors etc.

N.B. If your buying one the sooty exhaust is your first "tell" that theres a problem.

When I got misfire codes I tried the old school swap the coils around etc, if you car was running fine but then start with, but the symptoms start happening on cold starts. I hope this can help you can quickly diagnose the problem.

Firstly you need to equip yourself with INPA which is the BMW diagnostic tool, it also worth upgrading to the 2.023 loader:
https://bimmerprofs.com/msd80-loader-2-023/

With INPA always clear Short Term (F4/F1) and long term/history memory codes(F4/F3) IN THE DME menus. Don't forget to clear the History particularly with NOX errors!

These are the common problems:

- You have a sooty exhaust
- You have rough idle on cold start for a couple of minutes and then clears and works normally
- When the injectors leak more you will have misfire codes etc
- When they are leaking badly you have CEL lights on cold startup that clear on 2nd start after 2 minutes.
- You probably also have NOX errors, NOX issues won't normally cause rough running and certainly won't cause the cold start CEL light. However Nox sensors die quickly when the injectors start to leak and can in my experience be changed and then fail in a short order because the Injectors are leaking, so check you injectors first!
- High oil consumption, most likely PCV issues or a leaky rocker cover.


Checking for Injector issues:


Here's what you do:

- Let the car sit over night
- Pull the plugs, if you can smell fuel and the plug looks wet (not oil but petrol) then you have identified a leaky injector

Tools:

Spark Plug Tool:
You will also need a 12mm thin wall spark plug spanner 3/8" with an articulating head, This is because the plugs are at 5 degree angles to the bore of plug aperture. However Laser do a cheap tool on Amazon at £9;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spark Plug Torque : 23NM +-3
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-plugs/5rctKot

So you have leaky injectors:

Change all 6 injectors to revision 11 (revision11 are not compatible with other revs, some say per bank however I personally believe it better to do it right first time and bargain hunt to get the price down), also make sure you replace the decoupling rings (the little metal ring with 3 prongs on the injector).

Where to buy stuff at discount whilst still getting a warranty:

- At the moment Merlin Diesel Systems are the cheapest business seller, they will do 150£ per injector on Make me an offer (eBay), if you are lucky you can also combine this with a eBay 10% off day so £135ea.

- You can buy the decoupling rings from Harry Fairborn or Cotswold deliver in set of 6 for £42, pn 13537564751 x 6

- You will want 6 spark plugs, at the moment AutoDoc seem to be the cheapest at circa 6.50ea
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/ngk/636500

- Depending in the age/condition of you coils you may want to change , there was a BMW recall in 2012 so you may be able to get a free set. DELPHI are OEM for the new rev coils
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/delphi/7908929


Injectors:

Tools:

To install the injectors I'd recommend buying a 14mm Common rail diesel tool - about £8 for the "Mercedes" one on Amazon (they are generic) and this will allow you to torque the lines rather than half ass it... Remember to grease the lines with transmission oil as per the TIS.

14MM Common Rail socket tool:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the TIS: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-lines/4N5n5Ly

Torques:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-lines/5lzDB5f



Before installing the new injectors, make sure you use you old injectors as a "BORE CLEANING TOOL", in essence pull the injectors up and downing their position, in my case 1-5 were easy to do and 6 had a bunch of deposits stopping it slide easily out and in, also clean the injector to remove scudge.
The injectors should smoothly click into place with hand force, make sure they do this before you uncap your new injectors as the PTFE seal will swell up! Do not use the bracet as tool to lever on the injectors, most likely you still have a smudge build up you risk damaging the ptfe seal and inturn recking your cylinder head.

If you have a really stuck injector a slide hammer will be required i did mine with a conventional body shop one (Clarke 9 piece kit for £20 will do) on the right hand side of the body, or there is a special tool that Laser make for the job.

Slide hammer (proper tool)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Petro...53.m1438.l2649

I preferred to remove the spark plugs and put the coils back in or tape up (to stop contamination) before I try and take out the injectors, this removes the air lock!

Remember to write down the 2 x 3 digit codes on the left side of each injector, these are required for coding.

Additionally you need to code the injectors and clear the adaptations : https://bimmerprofs.com/not-encode-injectors/

Don't forgot to clear the adaptations and go through the process to setup again - its makes a big difference..

Finally if you are using 2nd hand parts or have pulled your injectors you need new PTFE seals which are about £1.60 ea from H.B. or Cotswold, in addition you also need the following special tools, here is the cheapest place:

https://www.xxl-automotive.de/Spezia...0::162451.html


NOX Problems:

So injectors are fixed/ok, now on to NOX problems:

Firstly check if you car runs stratified, if it does and does so reliably then all is good.

Checking to see if your car runs stratified: https://bimmerprofs.com/n43n53-operation-modes-check/

This is also the reason why you may have a sooty exhaust, because you maybe are stuck in Homogen mode which is essentially a LIMP mode with over-fuelling.

If you car doesn't run stratified its probably down to faulty NOX sensor or NOX cat (an ageing Cat is the common on >80k), Check for NOX errors in INPA.

If you see NOX CAT Ageing then you NOX Cat is at the end of useful life circa 80K.

Your OPTIONS:

So you have a car with Less than 80K miles:

1. New BMW Nox sensor about £400
2. Replacement NOX probe 8 wire from the NOX shop £160 https://www.nox-sensor.shop/shop/nox...uct-6697701859

More than 80k miles, I don't want to worry about my NOX cat Ageing issues now or in the future:
3. Bimmerproffs NOXEM emulated about £320, great if you car has 80K miles+ and/or you want to work regardless of the ageing of NOX CAT

I'd like my 325i to be more powerful and I'd rather not worry about NOX system like Bimmerproffs solution:

4. Remap of 325i or 330I with NOX coded out £250, Maptech and ProMap, if you have a 325I this will make a big performance gain i.e. 265BHP and 45NM increase http://www.map-tech.co.uk/your-car.htm?car=674


Personally I'd recommend option 4, I used Maptech..

PCV problems:

- High oil conceptions
- Whistling!

Finally, Check your PCV valve, in fact if your car has a 100K miles then just replace it, they don't last forever.

- the traditional test is to put your finger over the breather hold on the PCV (round cap at back of rocker cover) - if it whistles and is sucking then the diaphragm is knackered.

Some good instructions here:

https://vanos-bmw.com/product/111275...53-11127548196
Options:
1. New valve Cover - About £400
2. New Diaphragm from Ebay £30.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Membrane-...53.m1438.l2649

3. If you need it in a hurry then Metzger N52 CAP fits it you cut the fins off and the the internal spiral with a Dremel https://www.autodoc.co.uk/metzger/12821714. I used black high temp gasket silicone to seal. you can also probably cut out the diaphragm.


If this was useful to you please post me REP :-)

Last edited by Will_460cs; 08-14-2018 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 11
      08-14-2018, 05:12 AM   #2
Dormermike
Captain
78
Rep
614
Posts

Drives: Bmw f10
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Very nice writeup Will - super helpful, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 07:37 AM   #3
mahoone
New Member
0
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Cardiff

iTrader: (0)

As a owner of N53 - THANK YOU
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 08:16 AM   #4
Phil325i
Colonel
Phil325i's Avatar
United Kingdom
454
Rep
2,888
Posts

Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK South East

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoone View Post
As a owner of N53 - THANK YOU
Hear, hear!
__________________
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
Tr1ppy
Second Lieutenant
Tr1ppy's Avatar
28
Rep
279
Posts

Drives: E93 330i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: North West, UK

iTrader: (0)

Fantastic write up mate, very informative!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #6
leew88
Enlisted Member
15
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: E60 530i
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Sandhurst

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the great info.
I don't have any injector issues but my NOX sensor was knackered so I went the NOXEM method from bimmerprofs. Works as intended and runs stratified very well.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 04:59 AM   #7
jamherber
Private First Class
11
Rep
144
Posts

Drives: E90 330i N53 & Lotus Elise
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: South West

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew88 View Post
Thanks for the great info.
I don't have any injector issues but my NOX sensor was knackered so I went the NOXEM method from bimmerprofs. Works as intended and runs stratified very well.
Have you had a noticeable improvement in MPG since fitting?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #8
leew88
Enlisted Member
15
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: E60 530i
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Sandhurst

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamherber View Post
Have you had a noticeable improvement in MPG since fitting?
Mainly on motorway light cruising when stratified is most active below 70mph, around 5mpg improvement overall I'd say.

City and start stop driving is as before due since it mainly runs Homogeneous mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 11:03 AM   #9
simonlpearce
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: E91 325
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Having just purchased an N53 which is showing a number of errors, I no doubt expect this will be a very handy tool for me over the coming few months.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 04:51 AM   #10
Mircea
Enlisted Member
Mircea's Avatar
United Kingdom
9
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 325i E92 N53 M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_460cs View Post
NOX Problems:

So injectors are fixed/ok, now on to NOX problems:

Firstly check if you car runs stratified, if it does and does so reliably then all is good.

Checking to see if your car runs stratified: https://bimmerprofs.com/n43n53-operation-modes-check/

This is also the reason why you may have a sooty exhaust, because you maybe are stuck in Homogen mode which is essentially a LIMP mode with over-fuelling.

If you car doesn't run stratified its probably down to faulty NOX sensor or NOX cat (an ageing Cat is the common on >80k), Check for NOX errors in INPA.

If you see NOX CAT Ageing then you NOX Cat is at the end of useful life circa 80K.

Your OPTIONS:

So you have a car with Less than 80K miles:

1. New BMW Nox sensor about £400
2. Replacement NOX probe 8 wire from the NOX shop £160 https://www.nox-sensor.shop/shop/nox...uct-6697701859

More than 80k miles, I don't want to worry about my NOX cat Ageing issues now or in the future:
3. Bimmerproffs NOXEM emulated about £320, great if you car has 80K miles+ and/or you want to work regardless of the ageing of NOX CAT

I'd like my 325i to be more powerful and I'd rather not worry about NOX system like Bimmerproffs solution:

4. Remap of 325i or 330I with NOX coded out £250, Maptech and ProMap, if you have a 325I this will make a big performance gain i.e. 265BHP and 45NM increase http://www.map-tech.co.uk/your-car.htm?car=674


Personally I'd recommend option 4, I used Maptech..
I have just fixed my rough idle/running issues by replacing all 6 injectors.
I have reset all adaptations, followed bimmerprofs tutorials to redo them.

I still get the 30E9 nox cat ageing error, and the engine does not perform in Stratified charge mode.

I have gotten in touch with one of the Map Tech guys, explained them what I am getting and they said, I quote

Quote:
The NOx sensor Delete is an extra step on top of the stage 1 remap, but can be done, but you would also need to remove the 2ndary NOx cats from the exhaust system (leaving the primary cats if you prefer).

If you think your NOx cats are problematic I would say you should also remove the NOx cats themselves? deleting the NOx sensors wonít do anything to fix the physical cats themselves.
I am curious, did option 4 that you mentioned completely resolve this issue just by remapping and coding out the nox sensor? Or did you have something extra done to yours as the guys suggested?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 03:12 PM   #11
Will_460cs
First Lieutenant
149
Rep
334
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cambridgeshire

iTrader: (0)

As your fault is is the CAT itself If they delete the NOX function then the Cats in the map the car can't tell thats the cats are removed or not however as your NOX CATs are clogged then you are loosing performance regardless.

Direnza have a N53 NOX replacement mid section it relatively cheap and combined with the map is a fix, or its a cut and weld up job.

I haven't tried unplugging the NOX sensor with the map, i believe this would result in a fault code that would stop Stratified charge, however I havent tried it..

Getting rid of the NOX cats is a good thing for both sound and performance and the MAP will improve performance allot if a 325i.and performance and the MAP will improve performance allot if a 325i.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 03:25 PM   #12
Mircea
Enlisted Member
Mircea's Avatar
United Kingdom
9
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 325i E92 N53 M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_460cs View Post
As your fault is is the CAT itself If they delete the NOX function then the Cats in the map the car can't tell thats the cats are removed or not however as your NOX CATs are clogged then you are loosing performance regardless.

Direnza have a N53 NOX replacement mid section it relatively cheap and combined with the map is a fix, or its a cut and weld up job.

I haven't tried unplugging the NOX sensor with the map, i believe this would result in a fault code that would stop Stratified charge, however I havent tried it..

Getting rid of the NOX cats is a good thing for both sound and performance and the MAP will improve performance allot if a 325i.and performance and the MAP will improve performance allot if a 325i.
Thanks for the answer, the car is indeed a 325i N53.

I have already previously spoken with map-tech and will have the work needed booked for April. I'm going to decat, code out NOx sensor and remap, seems like the best solution to all this.
Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 1
AUDELA1.50
      04-28-2019, 09:59 AM   #13
aaronblack
Private First Class
42
Rep
182
Posts

Drives: E92
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I got a CEL yesterday and the revs seem unstable between 1,100 - 800, also the REV's don't stay constant - so if i was to try and hold it at 1k it would go down and back to 1k every second!

Scanned the car came up with misfire, cold start codes and NOX codes etc... So I'm assuming my NOX and Injectors need doing! (Just waiting for my INPA cable to do a proper scan first of course!)

Question is I was already considering doing a mid CAT and muffler delete, would anyone recommend deleting the primary and secondary cats and mapping/coding the car for the NOX sensors all at the same time to get rid of the NOX once and for all? I don't like the idea of having a bad clogged CAT with e NOX emulator in place?

Also are Index 11 injectors anymore reliable? If i just bite the bulletin and pay the £1,200 for all 6 how long do I expect them to last considering I maintain the car properly, regular oil changes, catch can in place etc..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #14
Will_460cs
First Lieutenant
149
Rep
334
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cambridgeshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronblack View Post
I got a CEL yesterday and the revs seem unstable between 1,100 - 800, also the REV's don't stay constant - so if i was to try and hold it at 1k it would go down and back to 1k every second!

Scanned the car came up with misfire, cold start codes and NOX codes etc... So I'm assuming my NOX and Injectors need doing! (Just waiting for my INPA cable to do a proper scan first of course!)

Question is I was already considering doing a mid CAT and muffler delete, would anyone recommend deleting the primary and secondary cats and mapping/coding the car for the NOX sensors all at the same time to get rid of the NOX once and for all? I don't like the idea of having a bad clogged CAT with e NOX emulator in place?

Also are Index 11 injectors anymore reliable? If i just bite the bulletin and pay the £1,200 for all 6 how long do I expect them to last considering I maintain the car properly, regular oil changes, catch can in place etc..

Firstly, run Diagnostics i.e. INPA, clear both historical and current fault memories.. then check and see what returns...

if you have lumpy idle and sooty exhaust then its likely injectors will need doing. easy way to confirm this is pop the spark plugs after one evening.. this will tell which are leaking as the plug will be wet.

Index 11 are a big improvement. parts cost is 900£ for 6 injectors from merlin + decoupler rings £40 from Harry Fairborn..

Personally yes id remap and dump the NOX system..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #15
aaronblack
Private First Class
42
Rep
182
Posts

Drives: E92
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_460cs View Post
Firstly, run Diagnostics i.e. INPA, clear both historical and current fault memories.. then check and see what returns...

if you have lumpy idle and sooty exhaust then its likely injectors will need doing. easy way to confirm this is pop the spark plugs after one evening.. this will tell which are leaking as the plug will be wet.

Index 11 are a big improvement. parts cost is 900£ for 6 injectors from merlin + decoupler rings £40 from Harry Fairborn..

Personally yes id remap and dump the NOX system..
Thanks for the response Will. Iíve done as you advised and multiple Nox errors have come up again including the ageing Cat. Hence Iím considering doing the mid Cat delete and mapping the sensor out. P-torque offer this and Iíve had good experience with them before on my 125i.

Iím just a little confused, by mapping the Nox out and deleting the mid Cats, would the car still run stratified as per normal and I wouldnít get any more Nox error codes? What would be the difference between a Nox delete and lets say the Noxem etc.

Thanks again
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2019, 08:51 AM   #16
Will_460cs
First Lieutenant
149
Rep
334
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cambridgeshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronblack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_460cs View Post
Firstly, run Diagnostics i.e. INPA, clear both historical and current fault memories.. then check and see what returns...

if you have lumpy idle and sooty exhaust then its likely injectors will need doing. easy way to confirm this is pop the spark plugs after one evening.. this will tell which are leaking as the plug will be wet.

Index 11 are a big improvement. parts cost is 900£ for 6 injectors from merlin + decoupler rings £40 from Harry Fairborn..

Personally yes id remap and dump the NOX system..
Thanks for the response Will. I’ve done as you advised and multiple Nox errors have come up again including the ageing Cat. Hence I’m considering doing the mid Cat delete and mapping the sensor out. P-torque offer this and I’ve had good experience with them before on my 125i.

I’m just a little confused, by mapping the Nox out and deleting the mid Cats, would the car still run stratified as per normal and I wouldn’t get any more Nox error codes? What would be the difference between a Nox delete and lets say the Noxem etc.

Thanks again
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronblack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_460cs View Post
Firstly, run Diagnostics i.e. INPA, clear both historical and current fault memories.. then check and see what returns...

if you have lumpy idle and sooty exhaust then its likely injectors will need doing. easy way to confirm this is pop the spark plugs after one evening.. this will tell which are leaking as the plug will be wet.

Index 11 are a big improvement. parts cost is 900£ for 6 injectors from merlin + decoupler rings £40 from Harry Fairborn..

Personally yes id remap and dump the NOX system..
Thanks for the response Will. I've done as you advised and multiple Nox errors have come up again including the ageing Cat. Hence I'm considering doing the mid Cat delete and mapping the sensor out. P-torque offer this and I've had good experience with them before on my 125i.

I'm just a little confused, by mapping the Nox out and deleting the mid Cats, would the car still run stratified as per normal and I wouldn't get any more Nox error codes? What would be the difference between a Nox delete and lets say the Noxem etc.

Thanks again

You didn't mention if you had popped the spark plugs after leaving it over night - if you haven't do this this..

Mapping out the Nox is essentially the same result as noxem both are fooling the car in to thinking the box sensor is either giving good data (noxem)or the data doesn't matter (mapped out). Same result two different ways of achieving it. A remap will give 265bhp on the 3l n53, allot of running companies don't offer that bump up although I believe it's a generic remap option.

You can physically remove the nox cats with either solution and you should do this as there no point in having them there as they are restrictive. As I mentioned Direnza have a cheap but works stainless mid section.

Whoever remaps a 325i n53 should get 265bhp alongside the nox delete.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #17
aaronblack
Private First Class
42
Rep
182
Posts

Drives: E92
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_460cs View Post
You didn't mention if you had popped the spark plugs after leaving it over night - if you haven't do this this..

Mapping out the Nox is essentially the same result as noxem both are fooling the car in to thinking the box sensor is either giving good data (noxem)or the data doesn't matter (mapped out). Same result two different ways of achieving it. A remap will give 265bhp on the 3l n53, allot of running companies don't offer that bump up although I believe it's a generic remap option.

You can physically remove the nox cats with either solution and you should do this as there no point in having them there as they are restrictive. As I mentioned Direnza have a cheap but works stainless mid section.

Whoever remaps a 325i n53 should get 265bhp alongside the nox delete.
Thanks again Will, in that case I'll have it mapped-out and delete the cats whilst I'm at it. A dyno map is only £70 ontop of the NOX delete.

The rough idle including the misfire i mentioned was apparently due to low fuel! I read in another post these engines shouldn't be ran on low fuel due to high pressure and so after refuelling and resetting/clearing the history with INPA, its running fine now.

I'll be popping the sparks this weekend to double check the injectors as they're are Index 03 and make sure they're not leaking, however the price for -11 seem to have gone up. I contact the company you mentioned and they are now £198 each so close to £1,200!

Last edited by aaronblack; 05-28-2019 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2019, 08:47 AM   #18
Will_460cs
First Lieutenant
149
Rep
334
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cambridgeshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronblack View Post
Thanks again Will, in that case I'll have it mapped-out and delete the cats whilst I'm at it. A dyno map is only £70 ontop of the NOX delete.

The rough idle including the misfire i mentioned was apparently due to low fuel! I read in another post these engines shouldn't be ran on low fuel due to high pressure and so after refuelling and resetting/clearing the history with INPA, its running fine now.

I'll be popping the sparks this weekend to double check the injectors as they're are Index 03 and make sure they're not leaking, however the price for -11 seem to have gone up. I contact the company you mentioned and they are now £198 each so close to £1,200!
Gulp.. thats quite an increase! -11 needs to be done as a set in fact -10 is the same.

I have 4 working non leaking injectors (I had 2 leaking). If you or anyone else is interested they are available for sale.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #19
aaronblack
Private First Class
42
Rep
182
Posts

Drives: E92
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_460cs View Post
Gulp.. thats quite an increase! -11 needs to be done as a set in fact -10 is the same.

I have 4 working non leaking injectors (I had 2 leaking). If you or anyone else is interested they are available for sale.
Thanks Will, I've just been busy doing as you advised, long story short finally managed to change the plugs, drove around for 2 weeks then took them off in the morning and no leaking injectors to my surprise so thats good news! Everything was dry. So big thanks for everything you've put in this post, its surely helped me out understand these engines!

I've since emailed MapTech and they quoted £370 for Decat, Nox and Remap although as you said its a 330i so not much in it for a remap prob/maybe just better throttle response and around 280/90bhp.

I was about to book it, until I read the FAQ for NOXEM and realised it seems a lot smarter than the just a delete! it apparently delays CAT generation etc. which means up to 25% better efficiency! Not sure if the delete does anything like this.

I've also looked at the DIRENZA mid section you mentioned but its only for the 325i unfortunately, although RealOEM shows same exhaust setup for the 325i and 330i I'm not sure if diameters fit.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2019, 03:51 PM   #20
Will_460cs
First Lieutenant
149
Rep
334
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cambridgeshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronblack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_460cs View Post
Gulp.. thats quite an increase! -11 needs to be done as a set in fact -10 is the same.

I have 4 working non leaking injectors (I had 2 leaking). If you or anyone else is interested they are available for sale.
Thanks Will, I've just been busy doing as you advised, long story short finally managed to change the plugs, drove around for 2 weeks then took them off in the morning and no leaking injectors to my surprise so thats good news! Everything was dry. So big thanks for everything you've put in this post, its surely helped me out understand these engines!

I've since emailed MapTech and they quoted £370 for Decat, Nox and Remap although as you said its a 330i so not much in it for a remap prob/maybe just better throttle response and around 280/90bhp.

I was about to book it, until I read the FAQ for NOXEM and realised it seems a lot smarter than the just a delete! it apparently delays CAT generation etc. which means up to 25% better efficiency! Not sure if the delete does anything like this.

I've also looked at the DIRENZA mid section you mentioned but its only for the 325i unfortunately, although RealOEM shows same exhaust setup for the 325i and 330i I'm not sure if diameters fit.
If you had 325i a remap is a no brainier... as you have a 330i then a there not much to be had power wise then it's really pretty arbitrary between the remap and noxem... price is about the same too... the main thing is dumping the nox cats to a enhance the sound and b increase gas flow on the exhaust so cat regeneration (ie nox regen) is immaterial anyways.

325i and 330i have the same cat and mid pipe, so the Direnza mid pipe is nice cheap solution and is a direct fit for 325i and 330i etc.. the only thing that's different between 330i and 325i is a valve on the rear box which is inconsequential anyways... put there to change volume level etc

If this helps you please click on the appreciate link!- shameless plug
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2019, 01:00 PM   #21
aaronblack
Private First Class
42
Rep
182
Posts

Drives: E92
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_460cs View Post
If you had 325i a remap is a no brainier... as you have a 330i then a there not much to be had power wise then it's really pretty arbitrary between the remap and noxem... price is about the same too... the main thing is dumping the nox cats to a enhance the sound and b increase gas flow on the exhaust so cat regeneration (ie nox regen) is immaterial anyways.

325i and 330i have the same cat and mid pipe, so the Direnza mid pipe is nice cheap solution and is a direct fit for 325i and 330i etc.. the only thing that's different between 330i and 325i is a valve on the rear box which is inconsequential anyways... put there to change volume level etc

If this helps you please click on the appreciate link!- shameless plug
Didn't know that button existed!

Ordered the Direnza hopefully it fits haha, I'll report back once fitted just incase anyone else is interested or is following. Thanks again Will.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #22
schriss
Private First Class
Ireland
27
Rep
177
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 330e Plugin Hybrid
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I still get the 30E9 nox cat ageing error, and the engine does not perform in Stratified charge mode.

I have gotten in touch with one of the Map Tech guys, explained them what I am getting and they said, I quote
To get rid of 30E9 you would need to use ISTA to register new NOX Cat, as if you just replaced it.
I heard 30E9 will be happening if NOX sensor is aged and clogged (but still working somewhat and responding). According to bimmerprofs, it can be diagnosed with INPA by looking at NOX sensor offset. Should be around 1ppm, less that 5ppm.
Mine shows "!14" including that exclamation mark. In this case, according to Bimmerprofs, car decides NOX cat must have aged and throws 30E9 code and stratified game over.
I wasn't aware NOX can be coded out so already ordered NOXEM, will see how that goes.

Did the map/code work for you, including NOX? I might eventually get tempted to visit ProMap, just 2hrs drive.
__________________
Current: 2017 BMW 330e Plugin Hybrid
Past: 2007 BMW E93 Convertible
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST