E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > [Solved]Codes 29E0, 29E1, 2D29, 2D06

08-26-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
mississippiBMW
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

[Solved]Codes 29E0, 29E1, 2D29, 2D06

Hello guys,

I am new to the E90post forum. I recently checked my error memory and I have codes 29E0, 29E1, 2D29, 2D06. I have changed the MAF sensor and I have also cleaned the connector. The car has a rough idle on cold start and when warm....and the car dies occasionally. My gut is telling me bad fuel injectors...but I wanted to get another opinion. What do you guys think?

Last edited by mississippiBMW; 09-21-2018 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: Resolved
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 08:58 PM   #2
Soden82
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xdrive

Could be a number of things if it's rough idle and stalling out. Definitely start with the obvious like changing spark plugs or coil packs first. Then move onto fuel rail sensor, injectors, and fuel pumps
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 10:35 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippiBMW View Post
...I have codes 29E0, 29E1, 2D29, 2D06. I have changed the MAF sensor and I have also cleaned the connector. The car has a rough idle on cold start and when warm....and the car dies occasionally. My gut is telling me bad fuel injectors...
What did you read codes with? Did the scan tool/software provide any code definitions. NONE of the codes have ANYTHING to do with injectors, or plugs, or coils or ANYTHING related to "misfire." Rough idle is NOT misfire.

Your rough running, at least at idle (probably runs OK at full throttle), is almost certainly due to a vacuum leak -- "unmetered" (by the MAF) air entering the intake from a leak downstream of the MAF. THAT is why BOTH banks are Too Lean. THAT is why Mass air flow (detected by MAF sensor) is too low for engine RPM. Same for Intake Manifold Pressure. The DME provides an amount of fuel (injector pulse duration) determined by the Mass of air passing the MAF sensor. When air is being drawn into the engine that did NOT pass,/ get measured by, the MAF sensor, fueling is TOO LEAN.

Here are the Code Definitions from Bentley:
P0171 | 2A2B | System Too Lean (Bank 1)
P0174 | 29E1 |System Too Lean (Bank 2)
P1104 | 2D29 | Differential Pressure Sensor Intake Manifold Pressure Too Low Bank 1 (THAT is NOT just first 3 cylinders but all 6 since just 1 intake)
P1415 2D06 Mass or Volume Air Flow Too Low

I would get a can of spray Ether (Starting Fluid) and with COLD ENGINE, start engine and then spray ether around the air duct between the MAF and Intake manifold, as well as manifold attachment to head. When idle speed increases, you have found a leak source.

George
Appreciate 1
lab_rat277.50

08-27-2018, 12:33 PM   #4
banglenot
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xiT

Quote:
Hello guys,

I am new to the E90post forum. I recently checked my error memory and I have codes 29E0, 29E1, 2D29, 2D06. I have changed the MAF sensor and I have also cleaned the connector. The car has a rough idle on cold start and when warm....and the car dies occasionally. My gut is telling me bad fuel injectors...but I wanted to get another opinion. What do you guys think?
+1 on what George said. (Howya doin' george?)

Also, assuming you're using a BMW fully compatible scanner (yes?), make sure you clear all the codes after recording them, and test again. Old codes remain in memory until you clear them. Most scanners don't read out the mileage of the old codes. After that, download and install ISTA+ and learn it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 09:01 PM   #5
mississippiBMW
Rep

I ran the codes with INPA and I got these codes after clearing and idleing for about 20 mins.

So I did a smoke test. Smoke is coming out behind crankshaft...so now I believe I need to replace crankshaft seal. This makes sense as I recently had a serpentine belt that shredded. I could not find any other vacuum leaks with the smoke test.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 11:27 PM   #6
gbalthrop
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
...So I did a smoke test. Smoke is coming out behind crankshaft...so now I believe I need to replace crankshaft seal. This makes sense as I recently had a serpentine belt that shredded. I could not find any other vacuum leaks with the smoke test.
Do you mean smoke is coming out at the crankshaft pulley/damper, as a result of a damaged Front Crankshaft Seal?

If that is the case, and you recently had a belt wedge between the rear of the crank pulley, where the seal is, then replacing the seal is certainly necessary (along with other measures to make sure no belt fragments in the pan, or possible damage to the timing chain & gears). I don't know enough about the PCV system to know if that would cause enough of a vacuum leak to set the MAF & Too Lean codes you have, UNLESS there were something wrong with the PCV valve incorporated in the Valve Cover.

The effect of a bad front crank seal would be to admit less air into the crankcase than opening the oil filler cap with the engine running, and I've never heard of THAT causing the codes you have.

The damaged crank seal is bad enough in itself, but I can't quite see how that would cause the codes, without some other fault as well. Did you have any "whistling sound" (the traditional PCV failure causing suction/ whistling at the oil filler cap) BEFORE the belt shredded?

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #7
mississippiBMW
Rep

George,

I replaced the valve cover last year so the PCV valve should still be good. I have not heard any whistling.

I have never replaced a crank seal. Is this a difficult procedure? I understand that I need a special tool to remove and replace the seal.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 10:51 AM   #8
mississippiBMW
Rep

Here is a list of everything that I have personally replaced myself on this vehicle in the past year:

Valve Cover, Valve Cover Gasket, Valvetronic motor gasket, spark plugs, ignition coils, Eccentric Shaft Sensor, Eccentric Shaft Sensor Gasket, Mass Air Flow Sensor, Cleaned throttle body, starter, replaced Intake Manifold Gasket when changing starter, Oil filter housing gasket, water pipe, secondary air pump hose, re-coiled 2 bolt holes, belt, and pulley/tensioner.

Also I have an Injen Cold Air Intake. This was already installed when I bought the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 12:47 AM   #9
gbalthrop
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
...I have never replaced a crank seal. Is this a difficult procedure? I understand that I need a special tool to remove and replace the seal.
It's NOT a difficult job on older engines I have worked on, including Jag V-12. Bentley Manual (p. 119-6 & following) makes it sound pretty bad though, with at least 6 different "BMW Special Tools" along with Loctite sealer & primer. Most auto manufacturers try to wow you with their sophistication or psych you out of doing the job yourself, so you can probably do it with several picks and a seal driver (along with the Loctite products). On most cars, removing & replacing the crank pulley & belt(s) is the hard part, along with getting proper access to do that removal.

I would suggest posting a new thread on several BMW forums (as well as doing Forum Search & Googling -- UNrigged of course ;-) asking for tips on technique without special tools.

Here is a link to a searchable pdf version of the Bentley Manual:
http://www.georgebelton.com/335i.tech/bentley.php

See also TIS Online Manual:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

It sounds like you have already addressed most of the usual E9x repairs, so it ought to be good for another 100,000 miles (with fluid changes such as ATF & filter). I'd fix the seal and anything else contributing to intake leak, and see how long you can enjoy your handiwork.

George
Appreciate 1
lab_rat277.50

09-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #10
mississippiBMW
Rep

Update:

So I performed the front crank seal repair. I bought the $199 specialty tool to perform this repair. I ordered the tool from Freedom Racing; ordered the seal,BMW sealant, and BMW primer from ECS tuning.

The crank seal was the source of the vacuum leak. Cleared codes with INPA and no codes have re-appeared after numerous cycles. The vehicle is no longer experiencing rough idle or dying. I dropped the sub frame and oil pan to remove any debris in the oil pan.

I also installed all new fuel injectors and reset adaptations. I got a deal on some fuel injectors so I said why not.

My car is running like a facking champ now. Feels like a new car.

Last edited by mississippiBMW; 09-21-2018 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
Biginboca1829.50