Bimmerpost for Android has just been updated to version 4.3.55 with a host of bug fixes. Try it out!

  E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > BMW of Riverside voiding my Warranty because of sub and amp, Help!!!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
951's 330i
Lieutenant Colonel
951's 330i's Avatar
Mexico
54
Rep
1,813
Posts

Drives: E90 330i, 95 RB-S14
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 951 Corona SoCal

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to 951's 330i
BMW of Riverside voiding my Warranty because of sub and amp, Help!!!

My iDrive has completely shut down with bluetooth and everything else and now there trying to charge me 607.57 to fix it. What can i do??
__________________

2006 E90-Running like brand new again. Take that insurance company
95 S14-Sold
95 S14 Rb25det-Vrom Shhh
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Kev's Avatar
Hong Kong
291
Rep
8,830
Posts

Drives: SMB F83
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
What does it say on the work order?
__________________
kev { divinum est sedate dolorem }
"your friendly neighborhood critical care anesthesiologist"
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #3
951's 330i
Lieutenant Colonel
951's 330i's Avatar
Mexico
54
Rep
1,813
Posts

Drives: E90 330i, 95 RB-S14
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 951 Corona SoCal

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to 951's 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
What does it say on the work order?
What do you mean? I have to pick it up in a little because im not going to pay for it yet. Are you talking about the paper they give youback?
__________________

2006 E90-Running like brand new again. Take that insurance company
95 S14-Sold
95 S14 Rb25det-Vrom Shhh
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Kev's Avatar
Hong Kong
291
Rep
8,830
Posts

Drives: SMB F83
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 951's 330i View Post
What do you mean? I have to pick it up in a little because im not going to pay for it yet. Are you talking about the paper they give youback?
Yeah, they have to give you a reason as to why they think that the problem that you experienced is related to the installation of aftermarket part. For all we know, the modules in these cars are so delicate that they can randomly blow up without any provocation.
__________________
kev { divinum est sedate dolorem }
"your friendly neighborhood critical care anesthesiologist"
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 11:51 PM   #5
Craig@SupremePower
Craig@SupremePower's Avatar
United_States
910
Rep
74,999
Posts

Drives: '15 Ram CC 4x4 - Black Edition
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (14)

Yeah they have to give you a stated reason for it, but I will tell you from experience amplifiers can alter the voltage in BMW's causing issues with most anything electrical in your car. Hell in rare instances i've read and heard of BMW blaming issue with steptronic transmissions on aftermarket stereo systems.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 12:24 AM   #6
951's 330i
Lieutenant Colonel
951's 330i's Avatar
Mexico
54
Rep
1,813
Posts

Drives: E90 330i, 95 RB-S14
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 951 Corona SoCal

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to 951's 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@SupremePower View Post
Yeah they have to give you a stated reason for it, but I will tell you from experience amplifiers can alter the voltage in BMW's causing issues with most anything electrical in your car. Hell in rare instances i've read and heard of BMW blaming issue with steptronic transmissions on aftermarket stereo systems.

But could it really effect it after a year of it being installed?? Thats kind of rediculous. Ill write what they said once i get the paper out the car.
__________________

2006 E90-Running like brand new again. Take that insurance company
95 S14-Sold
95 S14 Rb25det-Vrom Shhh
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 12:28 AM   #7
Craig@SupremePower
Craig@SupremePower's Avatar
United_States
910
Rep
74,999
Posts

Drives: '15 Ram CC 4x4 - Black Edition
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (14)

Could certainly happen at anytime with a sudden spike in voltage... anything is possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 951's 330i View Post
But could it really effect it after a year of it being installed?? Thats kind of rediculous. Ill write what they said once i get the paper out the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 12:32 AM   #8
951's 330i
Lieutenant Colonel
951's 330i's Avatar
Mexico
54
Rep
1,813
Posts

Drives: E90 330i, 95 RB-S14
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 951 Corona SoCal

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to 951's 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@SupremePower View Post
Could certainly happen at anytime with a sudden spike in voltage... anything is possible.
but i didnt even have the radio on or ne thing...ugh thanks though
__________________

2006 E90-Running like brand new again. Take that insurance company
95 S14-Sold
95 S14 Rb25det-Vrom Shhh
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
Beer Goggles
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
311
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i E92, 6MT, Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Riverside, CA

iTrader: (0)

Call a lawyer, unless you got some monkey to install your system...then you go after them to pay for the repair.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
ChuckBimmer
Liv'n the Dream
ChuckBimmer's Avatar
5
Rep
181
Posts

Drives: '08 335
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
Call a lawyer, unless you got some monkey to install your system...then you go after them to pay for the repair.
It will cost more to get a lawyer and the only one winning will be the blood sucking lawyer.
__________________
'08 335xi Sparkling Graphite/ZPP/ZSP/Step/CA/iDrive/iPod
Performance: Dinan Stage III Flash (OC, FMIC), Dinan Exhaust, KWV3, 19' BMW Performance Wheels
Stealth: V1, NavAlert, Laser-Interceptor, HuberOptik Tint
Future: CAI
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 10:15 PM   #11
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
ArmyBimmerDude's Avatar
United_States
-3
Rep
5,501
Posts

Drives: Lola
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to ArmyBimmerDude Send a message via Yahoo to ArmyBimmerDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBimmer View Post
It will cost more to get a lawyer and the only one winning will be the blood sucking lawyer.
+1

When it comes to electrical mods, you leave yourself open to all possibilities when you put a system in your car. Hope the extra bass was worth it.
__________________
2007 E92 Montego Blue 335i

Last edited by ArmyBimmerDude; 07-08-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 10:45 PM   #12
uberschnell
Brigadier General
uberschnell's Avatar
No_Country
505
Rep
4,007
Posts

Drives: Wide Body 1
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
Call a lawyer, unless you got some monkey to install your system...then you go after them to pay for the repair.
spoken like someone who's never had to get a lawyer themselves-
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 02:03 AM   #13
Beer Goggles
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
311
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i E92, 6MT, Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Riverside, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna3 View Post
spoken like someone who's never had to get a lawyer themselves-

You can call or pay a lawyer a $100 for a consultation to see if it's worth going after. Hell my work has a "free consultation" through our HR service we use.

Sometimes a letter from a lawyer is enough to make things happen. Also since there are LAWS to protect the consumer that a manufacturer will ignore because "it cost too much" to protect your rights.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 02:06 AM   #14
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
NaTuReB0Y's Avatar
United_States
211
Rep
7,379
Posts

Drives: 2006 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Inland Empire

iTrader: (12)

that's not cool...........

they've always been cool to all my 6-7 E90 problems......
__________________
2006 E90 330i Jet Black | 20" WORK VS-XX | FK452 | H&R Sport on Koni Yellow | REMUS QUAD
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 02:09 AM   #15
Beer Goggles
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
311
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i E92, 6MT, Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Riverside, CA

iTrader: (0)

And I'll give you some free legal (I'm not a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn)

Read This
http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?ID=50096

Then also understand that most companies never said "you can't" so when you do it doesn't make it wrong.

If putting an amp in a car (one can argue they offer a OEM radio upgrade and whats the difference in aftermarket) is going to "blow up the car" then it should be explained in the beginning.

If we believed all the BS dealers give us (honestly most people who work there don't even own a BMW or are into cars) I couldn't change to non-RFTs, but different wheels on, change the radio, change my own oil...and the list goes on.

They do it to BULLY and protect profit...despite the fact that lots of times it's not legal to do what they do.

Educate yourself, and that may require some "legal" help. Spending a few bucks might help you when the next thing goes wrong and they blame it on your BAZOOKA tube.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 03:27 AM   #16
742
Major
11
Rep
1,189
Posts

Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

I donít think that we can compare RF tires with electrical system modifications.

The unfortunate truth is that the complexity of electrical systems has increased by orders of magnitude. I have two 1970 era cars in my garage as I write this, and both of them have wiring diagrams that fit on two pages. I have two recent production VWs in the driveway whose wiring diagrams consume a good chunk of their Bentley manuals. And then there is the E90 325 that is my wifeís driver, whose possible electrical problems put fear in my veins.

And on top of simple wire counts let there beÖ. Software.

I am unusual in that I donít mind chasing wiring, be it my older cars or the airplanes that I used to make my living on. But I am very cautious with regard to undocumented wiring in current production cars. This is not your fatherís Oldsmobile, as they say.

Your best bet is to step back and start building documentation. What the guys who did the radio [I mean sound system] work did, diagrams included; and what the dealer feels is the underlying problem. Documentation is your one and only friend in this situation.

And if the guys who did the modification work don't have any documentation, as my paranoid mind suspects, your problem is not the dealer.

Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #17
Beer Goggles
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
311
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i E92, 6MT, Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Riverside, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 742 View Post
I donít think that we can compare RF tires with electrical system modifications.

The unfortunate truth is that the complexity of electrical systems has increased by orders of magnitude. I have two 1970 era cars in my garage as I write this, and both of them have wiring diagrams that fit on two pages. I have two recent production VWs in the driveway whose wiring diagrams consume a good chunk of their Bentley manuals. And then there is the E90 325 that is my wifeís driver, whose possible electrical problems put fear in my veins.

And on top of simple wire counts let there beÖ. Software.

I am unusual in that I donít mind chasing wiring, be it my older cars or the airplanes that I used to make my living on. But I am very cautious with regard to undocumented wiring in current production cars. This is not your fatherís Oldsmobile, as they say.

Your best bet is to step back and start building documentation. What the guys who did the radio [I mean sound system] work did, diagrams included; and what the dealer feels is the underlying problem. Documentation is your one and only friend in this situation.

And if the guys who did the modification work don't have any documentation, as my paranoid mind suspects, your problem is not the dealer.

Best of luck.
A member of the forum was told if he changed to NON RFT that it would void his warranty....get what I'm saying? They are using strong-arm tactics to intimidate because it's cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 08:31 PM   #18
nicknaz
Major General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
1861
Rep
8,813
Posts

Drives: E84 X135
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
A member of the forum was told if he changed to NON RFT that it would void his warranty....get what I'm saying? They are using strong-arm tactics to intimidate because it's cheaper.
Depending on what the change is, it could be legitimate to void the warranty... For example, if someone with a 'xi' car changed the tires, did not keep the diameters the same, and ruined the center differential.. then that change to non rft would certainly be grounds for denying a warranty claim on the center diff.

I think the OP's situation is much more of a grey area, because a modification to one part of the electrical system could indeed cause a short which damages something else (especially if the installers were monkeys and hacked up a bunch of wires by accident)

Just IMHO, I am always very very cautions when it comes to electrical mods. Electricals are a potential reliability weak spot, due to the complexity, so why do anything that could make it worse?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #19
742
Major
11
Rep
1,189
Posts

Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
A member of the forum was told if he changed to NON RFT that it would void his warranty....get what I'm saying? They are using strong-arm tactics to intimidate because it's cheaper.
Yes, I "...get what you are saying". Changing tires/wheels could create a warranty question in certain areas, such as subsequent suspension problems, but the ďreachĒ is quite short. A wild tire/wheel setup is not going to cause VANOS problems, for example.

On the other hand butchered electrical work, and I am not saying that is necessarily the case here, can have far reaching ramifications.

The OP needs documentation to show what was done to the car, and then hopefully show that the work is not related to his current problem. However the dealer has a leg to stand on if there is no documentation and the car is full of electrical tape and wire nuts.

"They" do not void the entire warranty, they deny coverage to things that might have been the result of modifcations. And they are going to throw that net as wide as they can.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 04:41 AM   #20
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
sageashton's Avatar
9
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: 2006 325i, Manual
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Santa Clarita, CA

iTrader: (0)

I think the big question for the OP is, what system did he have put in? If he is running two 1000 watt amps with the ground being run 5' away, well then yes that is a problem for several reasons. But if he is running a correctly laid out system working with the output of the alternator, correct grounds etc. then it is entirely different. And if he has not checked that out (altenator output, length to ground, doesn't know his fuse ratings, wire gauge etc. etc.) then he won't have a chance in fighting this, with or without an attorney.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #21
David1
Brigadier General
David1's Avatar
United_States
470
Rep
3,640
Posts

Drives: 09 E92 09 X5
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

You know that sticker on the windshield that states if you add or alter anything elctrical to your car that basically says if you have a problem your screwed.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #22
Beer Goggles
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
311
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i E92, 6MT, Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Riverside, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
You know that sticker on the windshield that states if you add or alter anything elctrical to your car that basically says if you have a problem your screwed.
Slapping a sticker on the car doesn't do anything. It's like saying I wrote in chalk under the car you can't do anything....read SEMA.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:54 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST