E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Footwell module replace or reprogram ?

10-26-2019, 01:26 PM   #1
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30, 06 325i, 07 328i

Footwell module replace or reprogram ?

So after several day of errors, issues, and failed installations I now have Ista+ and standard tools running smoothly. I have to say thanks to Ctuna and Xidino123 for standing by and offering advice with my software issues. THANK YOU GUYS !
Now this is where the fun starts. I have to get my car back to the condition it was previously in without all the lights illuminated on the dash and with the windows and exterior lights working how they used to.
Piece of advice to anyone regarding using scanners that run third party software to diagnose or program your bmw ......don't do it ! Use software by BMW for BMW.
My friend is a decent mechanic he has a $3500 scanner made by Autel that is plenty capable of programming and coding. He has successful updated more than a few BMWs. However he didn't know his scanner 100% and wasn't fully knowledgeable as to all of its functions and ended up bricking some modules in my car making it unusable.
So here I am trying to learn programming and codiing in an effort to make my car drivable again. At this point I think even my water pump has been disabled and Ive got a shitload of warning lights on.
I've been told that the first order of operations for my vehicle is to focus on the FOOTWELL module. I'm asking now is it better that I replace it or reprogram my existing module. I have one already that a friend who totaled his car gave me it's a good module so should I just install it or work on programming mine that came with my car ? What would need to be done to the replacement module as far as programming or coding goes ? Update the vin or address or ?? I'm really new to this stuff so don't want to cause more problems. Can anyone give me an idea what I should do just basically and I'll figure out how to do it. It may take me a day or two but I'll figure it out just need pointed in the right direction by you guys with experience. Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

If its the same hardware number I would just factory code it
to stock using NCSExpert as first pass option.
If you plug it in chances are some of the functions will work.
In NCSexpert if you have the Bimmergeeks copy there are two
profiles for coding the factory and maniputlation.
Factory Profile causes the saved factory setting to be read from the VO
which is list of all the setting for each module of your car stored
in the CAS and FRM . They are redundent copys.
If you are upgrading from a FRM1 to or FRM 2 to 3 I would look up
the FRM upgrade threads here and follow them.
Vin number of new module should be changed using Tool32 if
Factory coding does not take care of it.

Get rid of the errors that you read in Inpa functional jobs first
which was FRM and that other Module clear errors and start from there.
Ista D should give you a graphical block diagram of your modules and
what it thinks about them . Also any errror codes from the scan will have
English explanations.
I would also make a copy of the New FRM stock coding by reading
it to a Trace file then copying it to a Man file . Man means manipulation
as in coding it to some other setting.

Usually when you are learning to code you make a master copy of everything in
the car which is 225kb file with all the module settings lumped to together this
is a back up of the VO .
Then you go in and read out individual modules for coding as a trace file rename
it as a man file make your changes and code it back in.
See if you can read and copy the new FRM modules before changing it as a precaution.

Last edited by ctuna; 10-26-2019 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I get a lot of what your saying, but some of it not so much. The FRM module that I'm thinking to replace hold the factory programming files to all of my modules so it seems that replacing it may not be the best idea. You have to understand that with me there is no redundancy. To much is never enough. I just feel like there's gonna be more issues and I'm according to other scan tools I communication is bad with a few
Modules like the abs and cas I don't think all this is to difficult but I do need to secure a good usable backup definetly before I go at this car's software like a bull in a china shop. Which is sort of the way it seems I'll be going at it. I know you given me a bunch of links is there a guide someplace for reprogramming to factory for the modules regarding ncsexpert or other software I'll be using. Is there. A chance of destroying things while doing this one module at a time. I have a big shop charger no battery maintainer but the shop charger out me at 13.6 with the headlights on. Else I could jump the car to my other car that has multiple high quality batteries in it. Anything I can mess up more than has been already ?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 03:48 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

There is also a copy in the CAS module. (two copy's for redundancy)
There are some things I don't understand about recovery
myself . Like does the software know enough to use
the CAS as the source of coding when the FRM is broken.
The other thing you could do is read out a copy of the settings
in the New Frm and compare it with the options you have
on your car.
If you just plug the new FRM in what works and what doesn't
might be another approach .
I suggest you do some research on the multiple FRM threads
here.

I have coded my Radio my INstrument Cluster and my air conditioner
with no chargers attached . I do top off my battery with a tender once
or twice a month. If you work on your car and it stay's awake is another
way to deplete it . And there is actually measurable depletion when you
do this . Got some drop when I did the plugs.
These car are battery hogs by the way.

Coding sessions usually do not deplete the battery that much
most of the time it just blinks and its done. You deplete the
battery more during the setup. I would top of the battery each time
just as a precaution.
When you do an entire software update is where you get into trouble
with the battery getting depleted.

I would suggest you go to the basic NCSexpert programming tutorials and see
if you can pull a copy of the VO in the current condition.

Last edited by ctuna; 10-26-2019 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #5
bimmerfan1972
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Garage List
I used this guide here to program my replacement FRM3. I had to use NCSExpert (I think) to code back all factory defaults and everything started working. You will need to clear some error codes after that as well using ISTA D, but that's no big deal. I'm not sure I used the right daten files when I coded mine, and I have read that you have to change Vehicle Order (VO) but I did not, so I am not able to read my Stepper Motor Controllers (SMC) that control the adaptive headlights, which are currently having a problem. I need to figure that one out still.
      11-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #6
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So I installed a used FRM2 and a lot of the functionality returned, windows, interior lights, blinkers , etc. I have not updated the FRM2 or done anything to it as far as programming/ coding is concerned. The reason for this is that ISTA reports that my DSC is not communicating. Please see the pics that I have attached . Also in INPA the DSC does not show up in the list of modules.
So now I'm hoping someone experienced with the DSC module will give me their thoughts on what needs to be done. Could it be one of the components related to the DSC is making it unable to communicate? Maybe the steering angel sensor, or wheel speed sensor , or one of the brake pressure sensors , or is this module toast and in need or repair or replacement and if it is which option would be better to do? Additionally is there any other modules that aren't present in INPA's list ? Can the DSC maybe be factory coded to restore it ?? Thanks for any help anyone is willing to give me with this.

Last edited by Cali_MSport; 11-12-2019 at 05:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 06:41 PM   #7
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3series View Post
So I installed a used FRM2 and a lot of the functionality returned, windows, interior lights, blinkers , etc. I have not updated the FRM2 or some anything to it as far as programming/ coding is concerned. The reason for this is that ISTA reports that my DSC is not communicating. Please see the pics that I have attached . Also in INPA the DSC does not show up in the list of modules.
So now I'm trying to get someone experienced with the DSC module to give me theirs thoughts on what needs to be done. Could it be one of the components related to the DSC is causing it. It to communicate? Maybe the steering angel sensor, or wheel speed sensor , or one of the brake pressure sensors , or is this module toast and in need or repair or replacement and if it is which option would be better to do? Additionally is there any other modules that aren't present in INPA's list ? Can the DSC maybe be factory coded to restore it ?? Thanks for any help anyone is willing to give me with this.
First, code the FRM since it's simple and fast.

Open up NCS Expert
Load CAS Vehicle Order
Press back and F4 process ECU
Choose NFRM
F2 change job and choose FA_Write
F3 Execute Job

Close out of NCS Expert, load it back up, choose NFRM again and F3 Sg_codieren

As for the DSC issue, in ISTA does it show DSC red?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #8
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Sorry having techical issues posting the pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 06:51 PM   #9
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

There a ton of codes to
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 07:14 PM   #10
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yes ista shows DSC red. See the pics above I edited the post and they showed up
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 10:26 PM   #11
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

If you look on your INPA info list your dsc does not even show up in
the list of module which indicate it's not being read.
The Inpa functional jobs printout that I supplied from my car shows
DSC/DSX as a read module.
I see a lot of strange errors in the error list like its for another car
things are listed that are not even present on this car.
For instance no e9x has a radiator blind I believe.
Have you attempted to reprogram the FRM to your car yet?
Attached Images

Last edited by ctuna; 11-11-2019 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 05:36 AM   #12
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I realize the DSC is missing in INPA's list of modules and I think that I am missing other modules possibly as well ?? I had wondered myself if the updates my friend installed with that Auto Maxisys Elite scanner were for a different model. Due to the DSC error I have not attempted any programming to the FRM2 at all. I wanted to ask questions first. If you notice the mileage on these errors are the same except the DSC. The DSC unable to communicate error occurred a mile after the rest. My car had not been driven since all this occurred until I replace the FRM and drove it around the block a few times. Something happened during that drive that caused a loss of communication from the DSC? Im really unsure of what to do now. I just want the car back the way it was a couple months ago before this BS happened. This was all my fault though... I should have researched updating before allowing someone to mess with my car. He was only supposed to scan for codes though.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 07:14 AM   #13
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
I realize the DSC is missing in INPA's list of modules and I think that I am missing other modules possibly as well ?? I had wondered myself if the updates my friend installed with that Auto Maxisys Elite scanner were for a different model. Due to the DSC error I have not attempted any programming to the FRM2 at all. I wanted to ask questions first. If you notice the mileage on these errors are the same except the DSC. The DSC unable to communicate error occurred a mile after the rest. My car had not been driven since all this occurred until I replace the FRM and drove it around the block a few times. Something happened during that drive that caused a loss of communication from the DSC? Im really unsure of what to do now. I just want the car back the way it was a couple months ago before this BS happened. This was all my fault though... I should have researched updating before allowing someone to mess with my car. He was only supposed to scan for codes though.
Ignore the DSC errors for now, and don't drive the car. Default code the new FRM so that's settled. It's not a risky procedure.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 09:22 AM   #14
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Since you don't know what has been changed at this point you
might want to consider a full reprogram with ista P and a Icom
cable (and power supply )or you could try the Frm only reprogram first.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 02:04 PM   #15
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

So the dsc turned red right after the frm failed? Check fuses, I don't see how an frm failure and dsc not responding would be connected. I assume it was coincidental. Since it's not communicating you can't flash it or restore it via programming.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:27 PM   #16
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
So the dsc turned red right after the frm failed? Check fuses, I don't see how an frm failure and dsc not responding would be connected. I assume it was coincidental. Since it's not communicating you can't flash it or restore it via programming.
I'm not to sure I just notice in the pics of the error codes on top of the last page or second to the last page of ISTA error codes it says "no communication possible with DSC" and it shows the mileage which is one mile after all the other error codes but i checked an older post and the DSC was missing from INPA's module list when the Frm was failed so I'm sure when butnif it can't be flashed via programming than what do I do ?? Find another module have this one repaired ??
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #17
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
I'm not to sure I just notice in the pics of the error codes on top of the last page or second to the last page of ISTA error codes it says "no communication possible with DSC" and it shows the mileage which is one mile after all the other error codes but i checked an older post and the DSC was missing from INPA's module list when the Frm was failed so I'm sure when butnif it can't be flashed via programming than what do I do ?? Find another module have this one repaired ??
When you turn your car on does it show any dsc errors on the dash? Clear all codes and start the car and let us know what pops up on the dash
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #18
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

I would try programming before replacement in this case .
If you can communicate with it through winkfp you try just
programing the file that winkfp thinks it should have.

At this point I am beyond my knowledge base so my suggestions
are just suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 05:01 PM   #19
icon2015
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 320d ~200 bhp

Check fuses: F20, F35, F65. If all 3 are ok, then measure the resistance between pins 15 and 30 from the DSC connector and post it here.

Also, please make sure that all connectors in the DME bay are properly closed.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 05:12 PM   #20
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Background on this problem is it was caused by programming .
Specifically updating the car with an Autel scanner and no power
supply. If you are dropping in , in the middle of the process.
It never hurts to check fuses though.
So it's not likely a connector problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 05:50 PM   #21
icon2015
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 320d ~200 bhp

I have never seen a DSC affected by a FRM programming/coding, and I have seen a LOT of cars. He will never be able to reprogram DSC by OBD cable if its red. Only to open the DSC and flash the memory. From my experience, either the DSC died or the fuses died or the PT-CAN is disconnected or short-circuited.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 06:41 PM   #22
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

I don't know for sure but at this point I think he has not
attempted to program the FRM to his car.
It was just installed from another.
Appreciate 0