E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > FCP Euro Vaico Disa

12-07-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 325i 6spd

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
FCP Euro Vaico Disa

hello, im in need of disa valves, was looking at FCP Euro viacos. Has anybody used them before? are the reliable?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vai...sa-11617579114

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vai...0i-11617560538

update: i just pulled the trigger on them. ill do a review on it. I figure since FCP is selling it it has to been decent. we will see.

1/15/21: VIACO DISA ARE JUNK

Last edited by gT-BMW; 01-15-2021 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 12:29 PM   #2
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

Subscribed
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 12:51 PM   #3
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gT-BMW View Post
hello, im in need of disa valves, was looking at FCP Euro viacos. Has anybody used them before? are the reliable?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vai...sa-11617579114

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vai...0i-11617560538

update: i just pulled the trigger on them. ill do a review on it. I figure since FCP is selling it it has to been decent. we will see.

Yes forky, trash. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...o#post26893538
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #4
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

The safest bet is to find out who manufactures the needed part and order it before it has the bmw stamp on em. Never tried vaico. But given the 'review' via that link, at least bench test them before you commit fully. Best of luck.
      12-07-2020, 03:09 PM   #5
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
The safest bet is to find out who manufactures the needed part and order it before it has the bmw stamp on em. Never tried vaico. But given the 'review' via that link, at least bench test them before you commit fully. Best of luck.
It's Mahle, but they don't sell it.
Appreciate 2
Noir883.00
      12-07-2020, 05:33 PM   #6
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Oof... disregard
      12-09-2020, 03:04 PM   #7
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
boo.. I had high hopes for these....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
yes mahle is the oem for disa. viaco seems to be an aftermarket german car parts manufacturer. viaco is owned by viero according to this article. https://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/vaic...at-eeuroparts/

So i got the large disa in the mail today. I included some pics of it. To my surprise it definitely not trying to be an oem part, its clearly aftermarket. I had the china disa a few months ago, it was trying way to hard to look like an oem part. as you can see in the pics, the part number on the flaps are not on the vaico units. It doesnt look like it in the pics, but that is a metal shaft. I should have the small disa next week.
Attached Images

Last edited by gT-BMW; 12-09-2020 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: Pics add
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 04:27 PM   #8
bsmoov
Captain
Rep
Drives: e91 6 speed touring

FWIW I've had good results with the VAICO disas. I also bought from FCPeuro too so if anything happened i'll have a lifetime warranty and free replacement so I wasn't too worried about it.

Long story short, I replaced it about 4 years ago in my 330i. Car got rear ended, total loss, and I ended up parting the car out. Vaico disas were still fully functional, in good shape after about 4 years of use. Tested with INPA back then.

Although vaico isn't the OEM manufacturer for the disas, they are the OEM manufacturer for other BMW e9x parts.

***EDIT: I just remembered upon removing the manifold, testing the disas and then selling them, the buyer didn't like how the green gaskets were looking as he was super paranoid, but that's just how the green gasket seals look for some reason. Anyway, I ended up doing a warranty exchange for it and it shipped directly to the buyer's address (I said I moved) and it looked exactly the same minus the oily residue.

Last edited by bsmoov; 12-09-2020 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
gT-BMW203.00
      12-16-2020, 09:51 AM   #9
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
So i got the small disa in the mail yesterday tbh it looks alot like the china disa i had a few months ago but without the fake oem numbers.

I tested both disas with inpa, they both open and close as normal which is a good sign. the china disas open and close the opposite on inpa. If you put open, it closes, if you put it to close it opens. The sound coming from the large disa when opening/closing sounds normal like the oem.

The sound coming from the small disa makes a horrible loud noise alot like the china disa. So im a little bit worried about this one. maybe there manufactured in the same place but the fact that this one opens and closes the right way gives me hope.

has anybody tested the oem small disa recently? if so is its operating sound loud?

So i wasted no time installing the disas took me maybe like 40 mins, ive installed/removed the intake manifold soooo many time that ive learned how to unbutton all the hoses with ease so if any of the disa fails, no big deal thats why i wanted to try out these vaicos. Im praying that there good because:

after installation, cleared the memory, reset adaptions, allowed the adaptions to adapt and now that low end punch is back. and after 4.5k rpms i can feel the car accelerating.

TBH i was way more impressed how this car ran with the BL 330i tune with the stock single stage manifold. the 3im with working disa all it did was make the power smoother.

Well now all thats left is to see how long it last. I will keep this thread updated if anything changes.
Attached Images

Last edited by gT-BMW; 12-16-2020 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: Add pic
Appreciate 1
E92William1998.00
      12-16-2020, 11:00 AM   #10
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I've noticed that the Chinese disas often come with very little grease for the gears inside leading to very loud operation, also the motors are different from the normal OEM disas, having the sides completely open, funneling more sound out and I suspect this would lead to oil that gets inside the valve getting on to the brushes a lot more easily.

This is what I would say is the standard for a small disa sound:

Some can be a bit louder but nothing more than an electric motor sound.

That Vaico large disa is very interesting looking because the top shaft design is unlike anything I've seen before, very wide in diameter. I was actually trying to get my hands on a Chinese disa with that design to see what it's like but they're hard to come by. However it does look very similar to this one I took apart recently. What do you mean that it opens backwards because I've never seen that
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
gT-BMW203.00
      12-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #11
bsmoov
Captain
Rep

I think what gT-BMW means is that when you test with INPA, it does the opposite (backwards).

When you press the commando to open, it actually closes and when you press the commando to close, it actually opens. I've never seen that before ever either.

All of my disas look and sound the way e92william's vid above does.

I'm currently using the "chinese" disas off of amazon. I've had nothing but good experiences with them as well. Plus they come with a 3 year warranty and amazon's return policy is the best by far. (I've even had a e9x dash cam rear view mirror housing that worked great for almost 2 years and I guess it started to malfunction and it had a 2 year warranty, I looked up my order on amazon and it still had the return button activated and I was able to get a full refund and re bought another one from the same seller).

The "chinese" ones off amazon are pretty good build quality and they activate perfect for me. They don't operate backwards for me either.

@gT-BMW, maybe you can post which "chinese" one you bought, what seller and where?
Appreciate 1
gT-BMW203.00
      12-16-2020, 01:20 PM   #12
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Yes that was the sound i was looking for!! unfortunately my vaico inner disa sounds like this in the video. fast forward to 2:26

even with that horrible sound it still seems like it working?????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
I've noticed that the Chinese disas often come with very little grease for the gears inside leading to very loud operation, also the motors are different from the normal OEM disas, having the sides completely open, funneling more sound out and I suspect this would lead to oil that gets inside the valve getting on to the brushes a lot more easily.

This is what I would say is the standard for a small disa sound:

Some can be a bit louder but nothing more than an electric motor sound.

That Vaico large disa is very interesting looking because the top shaft design is unlike anything I've seen before, very wide in diameter. I was actually trying to get my hands on a Chinese disa with that design to see what it's like but they're hard to come by. However it does look very similar to this one I took apart recently. What do you mean that it opens backwards because I've never seen that
I am interested into seeing what you will find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoov View Post
I think what gT-BMW means is that when you test with INPA, it does the opposite (backwards).

When you press the commando to open, it actually closes and when you press the commando to close, it actually opens. I've never seen that before ever either.

All of my disas look and sound the way e92william's vid above does.

I'm currently using the "chinese" disas off of amazon. I've had nothing but good experiences with them as well. Plus they come with a 3 year warranty and amazon's return policy is the best by far. (I've even had a e9x dash cam rear view mirror housing that worked great for almost 2 years and I guess it started to malfunction and it had a 2 year warranty, I looked up my order on amazon and it still had the return button activated and I was able to get a full refund and re bought another one from the same seller).

The "chinese" ones off amazon are pretty good build quality and they activate perfect for me. They don't operate backwards for me either.

@gT-BMW, maybe you can post which "chinese" one you bought, what seller and where?
ive made a thread about it some members bought the china disas and even posted a video of it open and closing backwards

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1686894
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 01:46 PM   #13
bsmoov
Captain
Rep

That's definitely weird. The main red flag would be the serial numbers being scratched/sanded off.

All of my "chinese" disas looks like they're good quality with all the part numbers still intact. The testing on INPA passed with flying colors and they opened and closed correctly (not opposite) and the speed, force, and sound are them same as the working OEM ones and the video that e92william posted.

When i had my vaico ones from fcp a few years ago when I had a 330i sedan, they lasted as well. The noise was kinda like your video, but not to that extent. When pulled 3-4 years later, the vaico replacements were still good.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 01:48 PM   #14
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

With that sound, my first knock-off failed in a year.

Agree with E92William and his video on sound. That's what my genuine BMW one sounds like.

Knock offs also had very troubling looking green plastic/silicone bits. They all look like they came off an old mold and had ragged edges. That;s the major difference I saw as the knock offs looked like the OEM after they've been through 5-10 years.
Appreciate 2
E92William1998.00
gT-BMW203.00
      12-16-2020, 04:30 PM   #15
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
That sounds really rough. It almost sounds like it's trying to skip the gear with the worm even though it obviously isn't quite because it's moving. However there's is a higher chance of this happening I think on some Chinese ones as the worms are slightly smaller in diameter and the gear that is driven by it has flatter teeth instead of the sharper oem design that goes deeper into the grooves of the worm. Like bluewater said you can also see how the one I posted above has a weird jagged edge seal, I wonder what they do different than oem for making that seal.

I have tested a lot of valves and haven't found one that actuated backwards that's crazy they would allow such a fault to even happen. I suppose if that happens then it would feel like no disas are working at all.

I would open it up and grease it but that's probably gonna be the end of your warranty if it were to fail
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
gT-BMW203.00
      12-17-2020, 04:37 PM   #16
200,000 club
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 328i 6MT

Yea I rebuilt my disas and I'm looking to reseal them. I guess just grease the gears and reseal with formic acid and im good. Plus there was a lot of oil in both of then when I opened them
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 07:19 PM   #17
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
That sounds really rough. It almost sounds like it's trying to skip the gear with the worm even though it obviously isn't quite because it's moving. However there's is a higher chance of this happening I think on some Chinese ones as the worms are slightly smaller in diameter and the gear that is driven by it has flatter teeth instead of the sharper oem design that goes deeper into the grooves of the worm. Like bluewater said you can also see how the one I posted above has a weird jagged edge seal, I wonder what they do different than oem for making that seal.

I have tested a lot of valves and haven't found one that actuated backwards that's crazy they would allow such a fault to even happen. I suppose if that happens then it would feel like no disas are working at all.

I would open it up and grease it but that's probably gonna be the end of your warranty if it were to fail
Good investigation. I think the gear machining is a good point.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #18
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I just want to update its been 1 full week since the disa install and even though the small inner disa makes that loud horrible noise, it is still holding on. The china disa i had on before didnt even last a day!!!!

I also had a chance to go to the track and get some data to compare and the car is running exactly the same it did 2 years ago with these mods. 14.4@97mph
check out the last page for the old time slip: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1514682

I really want a 13 sec n52 and to get there i need the car to trap 99-100mph and a 1.9 60ft. I'm considering a tune, anybody else saw an increase in mph with a tune?
Attached Images

Last edited by gT-BMW; 12-23-2020 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
E92William1998.00
      12-23-2020, 04:59 PM   #19
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gT-BMW View Post
I just want to update its been 1 full week since the disa install and even though the small inner disa makes that loud horrible noise, it is still holding on. The china disa i had on before didnt even last a day!!!!

I also had a chance to go to the track and get some data to compare and the car is running exactly the same it did 2 years ago with these mods. 14.4@97mph
check out the last page for the old time slip: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1514682

I really want a 13 sec n52 and to get there i need the car to trap 99-100mph and a 1.9 60ft. I'm considering a tune, anybody else saw an increase in mph with a tune?
Still find it hilarious that, by 1/4 mile standards, my FBO Qr25DE Sentra was faster. I'm a little sad.

Hey E92William I have a small and large DISA to test, but as I found out, they were both the Chinese ones I had -- think I salvaged alll the OE ones. LMK if you actually want them.
Appreciate 1
E92William1998.00
      12-23-2020, 10:46 PM   #20
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6MT

Adding some knowledge in here. I can say URO makes a pretty good Disa.

Definitely stick to well known brands, non of the Amazon BS.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 12:10 PM   #21
mike5124
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i (E90)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I also bought some Vaico DISAs from FCP Euro. They're sitting in my room along with the 3-Stage waiting to be installed. Will try to test them to see if I get that clicking sound that was mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 02:22 AM   #22
mike5124
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i (E90)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
This is a video of how my Vaico DISAs sound like. I also ran a INPA test afterwards and the DME presented no fault codes. The actuator noise seems normal to me, and not very excessive. Looking forward to installing my 3-Stage Intake Manifold soon...

Appreciate 2
4 Doors1169.00
gT-BMW203.00