E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Canada Classifieds Section > e92 335i Affordability as Uni Co-op Student

06-15-2021, 12:41 AM   #1
YoungAndDumb
Rep
Drives: e92

e92 335i Affordability as Uni Co-op Student

Hello everyone,

I'm grateful to be in a position where I have a co-op term as a software dev every 4 months. I make 14k+ after taxes each co op term and have enough saved up to start thinking of a nice first car. I have always been into cars so I don't want something slow and boring.

I am looking at e92 335's that have all the repairs/maintenance issues addressed (common things that go). I'll be graduating in a couple years and have already secured some return offers from companies, so long term affordability isn't the issue. Living in Ontario, is this car affordable in my short term? I got an insurance quote and it'll run me $219 a month (22 y.o.).

In terms of finances, the car will be 1 third of my assets, with 1 third invested and, about 1 third sitting in my account. After I graduate, I plan on living with my parents for a couple years till I have down payment money (ty Toronto housing market ).

It'll be my first car so naturally I am nervous about it and wanted some insight on what people think about it in 2021.

My budget for one is around 10-12k.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 07:57 AM   #2
indy_500
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

I got a 2011 335is black e92 text me tons of goodies, 416-268-9097
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 08:42 AM   #3
molniya
Rep
Drives: 11' 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungAndDumb View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm grateful to be in a position where I have a co-op term as a software dev every 4 months. I make 14k+ after taxes each co op term and have enough saved up to start thinking of a nice first car. I have always been into cars so I don't want something slow and boring.

I am looking at e92 335's that have all the repairs/maintenance issues addressed (common things that go). I'll be graduating in a couple years and have already secured some return offers from companies, so long term affordability isn't the issue. Living in Ontario, is this car affordable in my short term? I got an insurance quote and it'll run me $219 a month (22 y.o.).

In terms of finances, the car will be 1 third of my assets, with 1 third invested and, about 1 third sitting in my account. After I graduate, I plan on living with my parents for a couple years till I have down payment money (ty Toronto housing market ).

It'll be my first car so naturally I am nervous about it and wanted some insight on what people think about it in 2021.

My budget for one is around 10-12k.
I am in the same position as you, Soft Dev Co-Op, I have an N55 E90, the biggest expense for this car for me is the gas, shell 91 isn't cheap lol, I would say it is affordable depending on how much you will be driving, I do not drive much so my car does not break a lot.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 08:49 AM   #4
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

If you can find one with common things addressed, you'll be fine just like with any other car. If you cannot have service history, get ready for bills.
Also, depending on the mileage some things just wear out, so if you get a car around 130-150k, expect to refresh the whole suspension and rubber things around the car.
Appreciate 1
Ali-E90386.00
      06-15-2021, 11:10 AM   #5
tomasp001
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Are you planning to keep it stock? If not, do you have a reputable indy shop you can go to? BMW stealership fees are no joke lol.

Are you planning to DIY repairs? You could save some $$$

She's very temperamental. So if anything is at the point of failure she'll let you know for sure lol

i got an e90 n54 as my first car and its my daily. The parts costs are manageable and i've put in a lot of weekends into fixing, upgrading and modding my car.. i've never touched a car before and now i know most ins and out of my car. I've even learned a bit of german for inpa and ista (coding) lol

I've done valve cover gasket job, oil pan gasket job, oil filter housing gasket job, walnut blasting, injector update, vanos replacement, vacuum lines.. you name it i've probably done it.

But if anyone asks me if i regret getting this money pit? Or if you would go back would you choose a different car? I'd easily answer with "No." I do not regret this decision.

(TL: DR) In conclusion, get it if you've been looking at it for a long time/ or when you test drive it you fall in love(thats what happened to me). And if you do buy it make sure its Properly maintained (theres like a schedule file somewhere in this forum saying at what mileage you should replace certain stuff) AND DONT CHEAP OUT ON PARTS. FCPEURO and ECStuning is where its at! (Even though you gotta pay duties and taxes) get a respectable indy shop to do everything,dont go to stealerships. Cause when the car is properly maintained. She's a beast!
'08 335i AT Titanium Silver | MHD Stage 2+ (91 oct) | xHP Stage 3 | VRSF FMIC [7.5"] | BMS CP + Tial BOV | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF Exhaust [Street] | BMS Dual Cone CAI | BMS Cowl Filters | Bilstein B8 Struts+Eibach Lowering Springs |
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 12:32 PM   #6
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f22 m235i, e30 325is

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Lots of good info already. But just something to consider, I think with your budget, your issue won't be money, it'll be space. Not sure what your housing set up is like (or if you're able to take it somewhere when you wanna wrench on it), but if you don't have a spot to DIY, you're gonna be forced to take it to shops and that will eat your budget.

At the current age and avg mileage of the e9x, we're at the point where long term maintenance items are reaching or at their service interval. Like someone mentioned above, this includes vital bushings. Then there's stuff like transmission service, diff, etc. +N5x specific things vac lines, boost solenoids, etc. All of which almost guarantee you're gonna have something to address. Most of it is easy work, so as long as you have the space and don't mind DIY on some stuff, you should be good

(Also, you can find cars that have had these items addressed already so you don't have to, but prices will reflect usually)

Build Thread
Appreciate 0