E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Brake noise help

07-15-2021, 02:31 PM   #1
falconey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 f80cs, 21 f97

Brake noise help

Hi folks, looking for a bit of feedback on a brake noise I've been dealing with. Nice little squeal that happens with the rotation of the wheel. Almost sounds like a bird chirping when rpms move up. I can recreate the noise with the car jacked up and it comes from the brake pad and rotor on the passenger front. Torqued the caliper pins again and no change so took off the pads. Hoping someone sees something I don't. Pads and rotors look pretty normal to me. Pads are akenobo.

Also on a size note is there any national chain that will resurface slotted/drilled rotors. Thinking this could help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 06:43 AM   #2
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Well, you may get a variety of different opinions online, but I would say that you have virtually no lubrication on those pads, and that could result in noise.

My suggestion would be to get some silicone brake pad grease and really grease up the back of the pads (one seems to have no grease at all on it) and also a bit under the wings (whatever you call them) that slide on the guide pins. I apply that stuff liberally and have never had any issues with squeaking or noise. Most pad kits provide a tiny packet of the stuff with the pads, but that's really just a sample and not enough to be functional.

I always use the Akebono pads too.

I use this stuff...but anything similar would work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 08:02 AM   #3
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Didn’t look like they used any brake quiet or similar when the brakes were installed, hence the noice. BMW deems rotors to be a one time use item, so I install new pads and rotors together.
      07-16-2021, 11:07 AM   #4
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Try changing out the rubber pin sleeves. They are not supposed to be lubed.

The metal pad contact points can use a little caliper grease.

I use ATE or Pagid Euro pads, they have been fine. Akebonos are supposed to be quieter? I did not want to use them because of weak bite complaints.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 01:32 PM   #5
sonofsun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 328i X-drive E90 N51 PK53

Not sure about resurfacing rotors. These days you can get a new rotor for relatively cheap and be sure that it's of the right spec. Not sure how many people here have had their rotors resurfaced. I replaced both my pads and rotors at the same time around 90000 miles. I used Zimmermann and Akebono.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 08:45 AM   #6
falconey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 f80cs, 21 f97

Thanks for the opinions. I typically use the lube that comes from fcp with the pads, but it had definitely dried out. Added more and no change. Rotors are r1 concepts and are about a year and half old, but have less than 10000 miles. No real hard driving either, but I think they are warped. I would say it's the pad, but the noise isn't consistent through the rotation of the wheel. The noise comes and goes in a pattern as the wheel rotates.
Appreciate 0