BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-27-2021, 12:23 PM   #1
Wamion117
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4C

I know this has been covered extensively on how to do it, problem is I don't have a lift and truthfully I'm not confident in my own abilities lol, but will a service center do the valve unplug process for me?

Also is this actually as reversible as everyone says? It makes sense just plugging it back in but is there really 0 risk to it?

Moreover, I found an independent shop that have done it on the f82 but said they haven't on the g82, being that it's a little more involved and requires them to somehow tie down the valve so it doesn't close from the lack of an actuator keeping it open, do you think this is the way to go? Or not to trust someone with that level of care (I'm paranoid lol first performance car)
      07-27-2021, 04:47 PM   #2
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamion117 View Post
I know this has been covered extensively on how to do it, problem is I don't have a lift and truthfully I'm not confident in my own abilities lol, but will a service center do the valve unplug process for me?

Also is this actually as reversible as everyone says? It makes sense just plugging it back in but is there really 0 risk to it?

Moreover, I found an independent shop that have done it on the f82 but said they haven't on the g82, being that it's a little more involved and requires them to somehow tie down the valve so it doesn't close from the lack of an actuator keeping it open, do you think this is the way to go? Or not to trust someone with that level of care (I'm paranoid lol first performance car)
https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1829847

check this thread, page 2, AVM's post with pictures on how to do this. Then squeeze under your car. No lift needed. Make sure you have a 10mm socket and wire tie or soldering wire. 30 minutes later you will transform your car's sound. I am a car modding noob and I did it without a lift. Dont pay an exhaust shop or mechanic to do it.

Completely reversible. Just make sure you dont lose the bolts and the actuators. Keep them safe.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 05:12 PM   #3
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

I paid an exhaust shop $40 and they did it in 15 minutes. Quick and easy and totally worth it if you don't have a lift.
      07-27-2021, 05:15 PM   #4
Wamion117
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
I paid an exhaust shop $40 and they did it in 15 minutes. Quick and easy and totally worth it if you don't have a lift.
Did they tie the valve so it didn't cause the rattling that everyone is concerned about?
      07-27-2021, 05:17 PM   #5
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp AWD

Quote:
Quote:
Did they tie the valve so it didn't cause the rattling that everyone is concerned about?
Why is this so popular? The car will open the valves when you turn on the exhaust sound. Is it because you want the valves open and ASD off?
      07-27-2021, 08:07 PM   #6
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, they did.
      07-27-2021, 08:41 PM   #7
Wamion117
Private First Class
Rep

the valve actually isnt fully open, when youre in sport plus (only in sport plus other settings it is even less of the time) and you're more than 70% throttle the valve will open

The old f82 would open the valve 100% of the time as long as you were in sport plus but now with new sound regulations they made the valve system variable

Note: you may think your valve is fully open because the volume has increased but it mostly has to do with how the engine is running, the drive logic, and the active sound
      07-27-2021, 09:27 PM   #8
M240iGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C BSM | 2018 M240ix (so

Garage List
You can lay a towel on the ground behind your rear wheel, lay down and have a 10mm socket/wrench and it comes right off(3 bolts each actuator). It's actually pretty accessible without jacking the car up or a lift. Then follow AVMs instructions and voila!!!
Appreciate 0