E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Used airbag buying guide and the Takata Airbag Recall

12-26-2021, 02:21 PM   #1
cooperolson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328XI

Used airbag buying guide and the Takata Airbag Recall

Hello! I apologize for creating a new thread on this topic however I don't believe a definitive answer has been reached and in the interest of safety I wanted to hopefully find a definite answer for those who have swapped Sport/Msport/M3 steering wheels into their vehicles. This issue is particularly tricky as buying a used airbag does not easy allow us to identify if it has been recalled. Swapped steering wheel airbags will not likely be replaced due to recall by your dealer. Beware many eBay seller still sell old recalled airbags do your research!

When this recall was first announced many vehicles had their airbags replaced with a OLD design BRAND NEW airbag, recalled airbags are identified with the yellow stickers on the rear. These airbags have build dates around 2017 and use the same faulty components but have a lower failure rate due to being a new airbag. Any airbag produced before this time has the yellow back and is most likely recalled. The reason for using a new old design airbag was due to parts shortage.

Later, these same vehicles were then replaced with the NEW design airbags, these airbags are identified with the WHITE sticker on the back and part #32306884672 OR 32306884664-02

EDIT: After some more research and calling my local BMW dealer and talking to a parts person, I was able to find more information. Many airbags I viewed online were stamped with part #32306884664 and a white back. I was confused on why there was a part number discrepancy because both 4664 and 4672 appeared to be post recall and produced during the same time period. I found out that 4664 was the part number for an airbag replaced by BMW under recall. If you buy an airbag from BMW over the counter you will receive part 4672. Both of these airbags are post recall, however one part number is if a dealer replaced your airbag due to recall, and one is if you buy an airbag from BMW on your own. Another piece of information I discovered is that airbags stamped 4664-01 have yellow backs and a small white label, similar to picture 2. Airbags 4664-02 have the white label shown in image 1. I am still unsure if airbags marked 4664-01 are replacements for recalled parts, or if they are old design, new airbags, as described above. In order to purchase as safe as possible I would recommend only purchasing airbags with a large white label on the back and part #4664-02, or 4672.

I believe the white back and the part # listed above to be the most RECENT AND NON RECALLED AIRBAG. If you are looking at buying one of these airbags look for part #32306884672, OR 32306884664-02 and a WHITE BACK, check the BUILD DATE as well according to the printed label, I believe 2018 or later should be what you are looking for.

Can anyone confirm this information? This is only knowledge I have compiled throughout other threads and I am not certain it is fact. DO NOT TAKE THIS INFORMATION AS FACT I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR INJURY OR DEATH DUE TO AIRBAG USE! If someone has more information or can confirm this please post below!

Photo:https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=22
NEW DESIGN 2019+ AIRBAG

OLD DESIGN NEW AIRBAG 2017
Photo:https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1552239

OLD DESIGN OLD AIRBAG PRE 2010
Photo:https://www.ebay.com/itm/25512195155...EaApi_EALw_wcB

Last edited by cooperolson; 01-05-2022 at 01:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 11:15 AM   #2
Ar32811
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Hey thanks for posting this, I’m currently looking to upgrade my steering wheel and cautious about the airbag recall. Do you have any update on the numbers to look for? I tried bmw dealer today didn’t really get an answer as to what the updated numbers are. Thanks again
Appreciate 0