E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Xdrive Mechatronics Sealing Sleeve

11-05-2023, 09:17 PM   #1
dre0415
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z3, BMW 325XI, BMW 328XI

Xdrive Mechatronics Sealing Sleeve

Hello all,
I've got a 2006 325xi with the garbage 6hp19 transmission by ZF which is surprisingly the only part on the car that I have issues with. And unfortunately the most expensive and most difficult thing to repair on any car. Anyways about a year ago I replaced the oil pan and all the seals relating to the Mechatronics unit. Including the Mechatronics Sealing Sleeve. I haven't driven the car for about 2 months and just today I noticed a puddle on the ground of transmission fluid. So I jacked it up to see where it was coming from and sure enough it's coming from the new Mechatronics Sealing Sleeve. When replacing this sleeve I specifically remember it being an absolute nightmare to install. Since my car is xdrive. The transfer case just blocks every possible good angle for installing this part. I ended up ordering a brand new OEM one this time around and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on installing this part in a xdrive car. Last time I remember using pry bars to try wedging it in which eventually worked but it was extremely difficult to not break the plastic sleeve. The original reason for going through all of this hassle was to attempt to fix the bad 2nd to first gear downshift that all the early model e90s with 6hp19 have. Just note this won't fix that I've already tried. The internal clutches are bad and the entire transmission must be taken out to be fixed or replaced with a used unit. Off that note if you have a tip for the Mechatronics Sealing Sleeve please let me know

Thanks,
Dre
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 11:47 PM   #2
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I think the electrical connector that plugs into the sleeve has a seal too. Maybe the fluid is leaking past that and not the o-rings on the outside of the sleeve??

I use some Vaseline on the o-rings and push firmly, making sure the sleeve is oriented correctly. The new sleeves use black o-rings that stand up better to ATF. The old red/orange ones just turned to mush.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2023, 09:42 PM   #3
ChuckW
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Hey Dre,
I did mine by dropping the transfer case support bracket. Sure I was able to pry the old sleeve out with the bracket in place, but I felt the new sleeve would break if I forced it.

It's a bear to get that bracket back on, but I did happen to find a good write up on how to get it back together without the two hours of fumbling I did.

https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...ontent.972219/

On that page scroll down to the post by BUDGET76. His Preparation and Mount Install paragraphs are perfectly detailed. Wish I knew him, so I could thank him.
Appreciate 1