E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Can the xenon ballast be cleaned internally?

11-08-2023, 04:28 PM   #1
Nando_e90
Second Lieutenant
El Salvador
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Can the xenon ballast be cleaned internally?

The right ballast (previously the left) of my e90 has gone bad. I'm sure it's the ballast because I exchanged light bulbs and the problem was always on the right side, but when I exchanged ballasts only the problem was to the driver's side xenon not working.

The problem started a year ago when after a while with headlights ON, it started flickering and died afterwards, but next day it worked normally, and there were days when it didn't cause a problem. But lately it turns off and won't turn on again.

The day I did the test, I cleaned the contacts of the ballast with contact cleaner and tried spraying it inside but without opening it. That made the xenon lights work fine without problem for a month and a half, but yesterday the problem returned. I was driving at night and the xenon started flickering, until it went off and now it won't turn on.

So I would like to know if there is a way to open the ballast without damaging it and clean it well inside and then close it again, or if I should better get one from Ebay.

Has anyone had experience with that?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 08:16 PM   #2
CLEAN13BOOSTED
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E93 3351

I would advise replacement, I've never attempted a repair on a E90 however my experience with others is once the ballast begins to fail, even with cleaning its only a short term fix before they fail again.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 08:42 PM   #3
mrjimyjohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 328i xdrive

I got a used ballast on ebay for cheap. No problems since. Put new bulbs in at the same time
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 10:19 PM   #4
Nando_e90
Second Lieutenant
El Salvador
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEAN13BOOSTED View Post
I would advise replacement, I've never attempted a repair on a E90 however my experience with others is once the ballast begins to fail, even with cleaning its only a short term fix before they fail again.
Yeah I think you are right. It already started to fail so I better replace it for a 25 bucks one from Ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimyjohn View Post
I got a used ballast on ebay for cheap. No problems since. Put new bulbs in at the same time
Yeah seems this is the way to go.

Thanks for the responses.
Appreciate 0