E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > OIL symbol displayed, scary

11-15-2023, 04:59 PM   #1
bmwsinceday1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

OIL symbol displayed, scary

People,

2009 328i, every time I turn off the car the OIL symbol shows up , even with the key FOB pulled out. I then put the FOB back in to activate the computer, and check the oil level. It shows up as "OK". Oil has ben changed not that long ago. What does this mean?

Thanks, People.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 07:14 PM   #2
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.25]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [8.00]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.80]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.70]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
When you scan it, what codes are you showing?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 05:05 PM   #3
bmwsinceday1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
When you scan it, what codes are you showing?
Thanks, Strada. I go through the normal routine to access the computer- the oil symbol, then the BC button. Then the scale shows up as OK. No codes like numbers or anything. The manual is so vague, almost useless, like the windshield wiper system.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 05:45 PM   #4
mrjimyjohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 328i xdrive

Scan codes meaning OBD diagnostics with BMW tools or a code reader.

1. Checking oil with BC stalk while engine is not running simply reports last stored measurement. What does the system report while driving?

2. What oil went in on that recent change and did you do it yourself? These cars also monitor oil wuality (conductivity).

Cant say much else without codes
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 12:28 AM   #5
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.25]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [8.00]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.80]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.70]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsinceday1 View Post
Thanks, Strada. I go through the normal routine to access the computer- the oil symbol, then the BC button. Then the scale shows up as OK. No codes like numbers or anything. The manual is so vague, almost useless, like the windshield wiper system.
You need to scan it with a diagnostic tool... the BC button won't tell you much.

https://www.bimmergeeks.net/protool

https://www.bimmerlink.app/

https://www.foxwelltech.us/product-detail-524.html
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 10:30 AM   #6
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

E90s oil level sensor is pretty reliable but in my E46 days, this happened all the time and it was almost always the sensor. It's good that you're alarmed and not ignoring it, but this does not seem to be scary like a red oil light while running.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 11:02 AM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

You don't have a screenshot but I would assume the oil light you get when car is shut off is the one telling you to add oil as you are at minimum oil level or below the minimum amount. When you check your oil level after driving for 20 minutes, (without shutting off the car), what does the oil level show?

Now question is, if you are actually missing oil or not. Did you have this light since you did the oil change? If it were my car, I'd be doing an oil change as soon as I can just to measure and corroborate if the sensor is fucky or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimyjohn View Post
Scan codes meaning OBD diagnostics with BMW tools or a code reader.

1. Checking oil with BC stalk while engine is not running simply reports last stored measurement. What does the system report while driving?

2. What oil went in on that recent change and did you do it yourself? These cars also monitor oil wuality (conductivity).

Cant say much else without codes
Not sure about point 1, on my car if I check oil level without engine running it does not show the last level but instead will tell me if there is enough oil to start the engine or not. I have iDrive though so I assume the "OK" OP sees is just the first check about enough oil to start engine for measurement. But yeah I agree OP what is your oil level reported when you have driven the car and warmed it up?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 12:56 PM   #8
mrjimyjohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
You don't have a screenshot but I would assume the oil light you get when car is shut off is the one telling you to add oil as you are at minimum oil level or below the minimum amount. When you check your oil level after driving for 20 minutes, (without shutting off the car), what does the oil level show?

Now question is, if you are actually missing oil or not. Did you have this light since you did the oil change? If it were my car, I'd be doing an oil change as soon as I can just to measure and corroborate if the sensor is fucky or not.

Not sure about point 1, on my car if I check oil level without engine running it does not show the last level but instead will tell me if there is enough oil to start the engine or not. I have iDrive though so I assume the "OK" OP sees is just the first check about enough oil to start engine for measurement. But yeah I agree OP what is your oil level reported when you have driven the car and warmed it up?

I think you’re right about #1. Thanks. There’s a great thread on here about how these oil sensors actually work, maybe by eefthreoh.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 01:58 PM   #9
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimyjohn View Post
I think you’re right about #1. Thanks. There’s a great thread on here about how these oil sensors actually work, maybe by eefthreoh.
Yeah I did read that thread back then, very good info and goes in detail very well, +1 to eefthreoh.

But I must say I have a slightly different experience regarding the level readings at idle. If for example I do an oil change and I had an accurate reading that showed my level wasn't full before (By accurate I mean the current oil level reading is from driving the car warm for 20mins+ ), after the oil change, as per ISTA instructions to check oil level by raising engine RPM at 1100 for 3 minutes with engine warm, my oil level was now updated to reflect full. I didn't have to actually drive the car for 20 mins to get a updated accurate reading

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 11-17-2023 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 06:10 AM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Yeah I did read that thread back then, very good info and goes in detail very well, +1 to eefthreoh.

But I must say I have a slightly different experience regarding the level readings at idle. If for example I do an oil change and I had an accurate reading that showed my level wasn't full before (By accurate I mean the current oil level reading is from driving the car warm for 20mins+ ), after the oil change, as per ISTA instructions to check oil level by raising engine RPM at 1100 for 3 minutes with engine warm, my oil level was now updated to reflect full. I didn't have to actually drive the car for 20 mins to get a updated accurate reading
It sounds like to me the oil life monitor has reached its 186,000 mile limit and the ECU thinks the engine needs an oil change.

If the OP would read his own thread and report on the miles the car has we could help further. I never understand why people post on the forum and never provide enough information. Age, miles, service history and ownership history are all important metrics for us experienced E90 owners to help a fellow owner diagnose his car's issues.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0