E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Does anyone here Mountain Bike?

03-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A stolen one

Does anyone here Mountain Bike?

I was wondering if anyone here is an educated Mountain Biker.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

I used to ride alot.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
I used to ride alot.
Why not anymore?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Past9 View Post
Why not anymore?
I was more a fan of downhill, but there really isn't anywhere in Ontario outside of Blue Mountain. And that's a 3 hour drive one way. In the time it takes me to drive to and from there I can play a round of golf.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

No, but I stayed a Holiday Inn Express once. Actually, I used to ride trails with a mountain bike, nothing really crazy though... about 40-80 miles a ride.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

i mountain bike... i've only used hardtails all my life though. i am more into cross county than the all mountain or downhill type riding. here's my latest bike. its already 3 yrs old.

http://www.d4m.com/axion/devinci/anc.../desperado.htm

devinci desperado. not much mods on it except for the seats and handle bar. just changed my seat recently to an SLR road seat.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 12:24 AM   #7
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
mt bike as a daily... cheapish Jamis Ranger

and.....

for fun

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 03:09 AM   #8
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

I ride a GT 1.0! Thing is one of the lightest hard-tails made. Picked up for $650 out the door 2 years ago. I love my deor shifters and hyrdaulic brakes too.

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 08:37 AM   #9
KiokenM3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: LIFTED JEEP JK!

been riding for the past 3yrs. what did you wanna know?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm looking for where to get the best deals on bikes, what to stay away from and why and so on. I am a big fan of Rocky Mountain and Jamis but my budget isn't huge... close out pricing can get me a couple hundred off hopefully and I am looking to spend around $600-700.00 which hopefully will get me a damn decent bike. A buddy of mine is buying a Rocky Mountain Element 10 soon and I've riden it... I wish I had that money.

I like closed quarters cockpit feel (like Jamis, RM...)

Hand made frame would be ideal and I don't want a bike that is super mass produced so it's slipped up on

the best components for the money on the bike is key as well...

What to stay away from. For example, I am Gary Fisher scared because of all the frame crack stories even when used for basic trans. I am also ok with a hardtail it will get me more bike for the money I think.

OH! and Disc brakes!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 09:17 AM   #11
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

I have a moutain bike, but I cannot say I mountain bike as I have never taken my mountain bike to any trail yet, just riding around the neighborhood for now. Don't have time to load the bike onto a car and head out to a trail yet.

Santa Cruz and her name is Chameleon.
      03-31-2009, 09:21 AM   #12
ejheverest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i

600-700$ your looking at a decent hard tail, stay away from full suspensions if you don't have more money to spend. I love my Felt Redemption, needed something where I didn't have to worry about cracking my frame.(last Marin I had, I bent the swing arm)

It is much cheaper to buy a good bike than to buy a cheap mtn. bike then upgrade components.
      03-31-2009, 09:31 AM   #13
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
I was more a fan of downhill, but there really isn't anywhere in Ontario outside of Blue Mountain. And that's a 3 hour drive one way. In the time it takes me to drive to and from there I can play a round of golf.
Same here, except there is nothing in my area. OP, what type of bike are you looking for? Just a trail riding bike that looks good and something to brag about alittle?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 11:30 AM   #14
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboXI View Post
Same here, except there is nothing in my area. OP, what type of bike are you looking for? Just a trail riding bike that looks good and something to brag about alittle?
Something that can take the temporary beating I will give it. The best bike for the buck until I can upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 04:12 PM   #15
KiokenM3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Past9 View Post
I'm looking for where to get the best deals on bikes, what to stay away from and why and so on. I am a big fan of Rocky Mountain and Jamis but my budget isn't huge... close out pricing can get me a couple hundred off hopefully and I am looking to spend around $600-700.00 which hopefully will get me a damn decent bike. A buddy of mine is buying a Rocky Mountain Element 10 soon and I've riden it... I wish I had that money.

I like closed quarters cockpit feel (like Jamis, RM...)

Hand made frame would be ideal and I don't want a bike that is super mass produced so it's slipped up on

the best components for the money on the bike is key as well...

What to stay away from. For example, I am Gary Fisher scared because of all the frame crack stories even when used for basic trans. I am also ok with a hardtail it will get me more bike for the money I think.

OH! and Disc brakes!
first of all, what kind of riding do you do? cross county, freeride, DH or a little bit of each?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 05:02 PM   #16
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

I wouldn’t call myself an educated mountain biker, but I have been riding and reading for a few months now. I don’t consider myself educated because there is a lot to know, and I have no experience with bikes other then the one I have now.

Long story short, my brother got me interested in riding, he had an Ellsworth built for him by the owner of a local bike shop that seem to be pretty well known in my area (bay area, California). I was not interested in spending the kind of money that it takes to build up my first real mountain bike ($5,000 easy), with full suspension etc. I asked the shop owners opinion, and then got online and bought some magazines.

I ended up buying a 2009 Giant Trance X2. I chose it for a couple reasons.
1. Value, the bike has components usually found on more expensive bikes.
2. The frame is basically the same as Giant’s higher end (5,000+) bike.
3. The bike got good reviews from magazine testers, for what that is worth.
4. The shop owner said he could recommend it to me because it was a bike that someone my size wouldn't destroy (6’2” currently about 220#, hopefully with more riding that will change), not something that can be said for everything on the market.

My advice would be do your research, find a local bike shop and ask a mechanic what is good. Consider a good mass produced bike (not a Huffy), nobody can by components and misc. parts cheaper then a company like Specialized or Giant.

Last edited by MisterSkiMask; 03-31-2009 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #17
shaX 07
Registered
Rep
Drives: 05 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner

This is my mountain ride:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ries/4300disc/
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #18
ejheverest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
mt bike as a daily... cheapish Jamis Ranger

and.....

for fun
I love those fixed gears!! My buddy picked up the new Felt track bike and I am thinking of picking up a fixie soon. I am beating the shit out of my cannondale road bike so I wouldn't mind getting a fixie with stronger rims.
      05-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #19
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I've been riding for about fifteen years and have had a lot of different bikes. I presently have a few custom bikes (a ti/carbon DeSalvo roady and a steel DeSalvo 29er single speed) I also ride an Intense 5.5 fairly often and a Schwinn single speed roady (my soccer addled knees hate fixed). For your price range, you'll be much better off sticking to a hardtail and looking used.

To be honest, wheels should be your #1 equipment priority, with things like the fork, brakes and frame material being secondary, wheels will be the most expensive single component and the one that effects your ride the most. Your first overall priority should be fit, most importantly the effective top tube length. You can make small adjustments with stem and bar changes, but provided the ETT is right, you should be set. If you can borrow or rent some bikes to ride on your local trails, try that to get an idea of fit.

Your local bike shop, or a Performance Bike or similar will probably be your best bet, but cost more than used. I tend to order online, but I also build my own bikes and wheels and have tons of tools. If you're new to this, I'd recommend staying local and using their service. You'll benefit from this, and lots of shop service bikes they've sold for free for either a year or more.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #20
KiokenM3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I've been riding for about fifteen years and have had a lot of different bikes. I presently have a few custom bikes (a ti/carbon DeSalvo roady and a steel DeSalvo 29er single speed) I also ride an Intense 5.5 fairly often and a Schwinn single speed roady (my soccer addled knees hate fixed). For your price range, you'll be much better off sticking to a hardtail and looking used.

To be honest, wheels should be your #1 equipment priority, with things like the fork, brakes and frame material being secondary, wheels will be the most expensive single component and the one that effects your ride the most. Your first overall priority should be fit, most importantly the effective top tube length. You can make small adjustments with stem and bar changes, but provided the ETT is right, you should be set. If you can borrow or rent some bikes to ride on your local trails, try that to get an idea of fit.

Your local bike shop, or a Performance Bike or similar will probably be your best bet, but cost more than used. I tend to order online, but I also build my own bikes and wheels and have tons of tools. If you're new to this, I'd recommend staying local and using their service. You'll benefit from this, and lots of shop service bikes they've sold for free for either a year or more.
ive been riding mountain bikes for the past 5 yrs, to be honest, wheels are not the most important. when i had my custom built dt swiss and hadley wheels done it wasnt like night and day. when i through on my set of kendas and had my suspension dialed in, that to me was the best. followed by my brakes then wheelset. i guess it all depends on what you ride. maybe for road bikes wheelsets are more important. but for mtn bikes not so much
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #21
BET325CI
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 530i

I started off with a hardtail from costco!!! took that bad boy mt biking for about a year!!! was not sure if i was going to like mt biking so i didnt buy the best bike. Realized how fun it was and seeing dual suspension, i went with a Specialized stump jumper comp! air shock front/back, hydrolic breaks!!!

my opinion is, if your going to get a dual suspension bike, i recommend a lock-out for the rear shock!!! helps to climb easier!!!
Goodluck!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #22
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiokenM3 View Post
ive been riding mountain bikes for the past 5 yrs, to be honest, wheels are not the most important. when i had my custom built dt swiss and hadley wheels done it wasnt like night and day. when i through on my set of kendas and had my suspension dialed in, that to me was the best. followed by my brakes then wheelset. i guess it all depends on what you ride. maybe for road bikes wheelsets are more important. but for mtn bikes not so much
I was speaking more towards the budget end of the spectrum. I agree that there's not a huge difference in feel of my I9's and Kings, but the difference in an Alex wheelset with a non-eyeleted, single wall rim and a fair quality wheel with something like Shimano Deore hubs and a Mavic or DT rim will provide a lot more of an improvement than the difference in something like Avid BB5 brakes and Avid Elixirs or any other high end brake.
Appreciate 0