E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > will intercooler, bov, intake void warrenty?

06-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
Fallen612
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i coupe

will intercooler, bov, intake void warrenty?

well so far i have only put dinan stuff on my car. and im looking at the stett intercooler, bov kit, and intake. but i want to know will it void my warrenty? thanks guys!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen612 View Post
well so far i have only put dinan stuff on my car. and im looking at the stett intercooler, bov kit, and intake. but i want to know will it void my warrenty? thanks guys!!!
If you take it to the dealer with that stuff installed, at a minimum you will get "flagged" and denied warranty service. At most, BMWNA can/will void your drivetrain warranty.
"SYONRA" is for sale! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366678 BSM '09 e92 335i | Performance: JB3, RR Catted DP's, INJEN DCI, Britalman Exhst, AA FMIC, FORGE DVs | Suspension: ST-V1 Coils, Hotchkis Chassis Brace & F/R Sways | Wheels: Bremmer Kraft BR03s, Brake Performance Rotors, Cool Carbon Pads, ECS Lines | Exterior: OEM Aero Lip/Rear, ****** CF Trunk Lid, BLUX5 Angels, M-Force M3 Sides | Interior: Passport 9500ci, Black Trim, M3 Wheel
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
dreamnmotion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i sedan

I took my car for oil change and state inspection the other day. They changed out spark plugs, and they tried to change out the air filter, but told me that I have 2 "canons" for intake already. They still gave me a brand new drop in filter anyways. I guess it depends on the dealer.
      06-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Jake C
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i 2010 335d

It will void your Dinan Warranty.

- J
      06-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
Makushr1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan Auto

Depending on the dealer, the IC and intake will be OK to some. I think a BOV kit will void the warranty at almost any dealership. I have no basis for my assumption, but that would be my guess. Just my $.02

To Do (Cosmetic): Black Line lights, Lux 4.0 Angel Eyes, 19" CSL HyperBlack
To Do (Performance): Exhaust (still undecided which brand), SSTT, FMIC (unsure what type)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #6
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

The intercooler is probably the least likely to affect warranty.
Afterall, it's actually BETTER for the car's engine than the stock one, since all it's doing is keeping things cooler.
If the dealer is an a-hole they could void it though, but they'd be hard pressed to prove an intercooler caused any damage to the engine.
And intake however supposedly allows more air in which could be interpreted as allowing more air than what was intended.
Skip the BOV's anyway, they are ricer like on <$30k cars, just plain silly on a BMW
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
Drakos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Afterall, it's actually BETTER for the car's engine than the stock one, since all it's doing is keeping things cooler.
If the dealer is an a-hole they could void it though, but they'd be hard pressed to prove an intercooler caused any damage to the engine.
And intake however supposedly allows more air in which could be interpreted as allowing more air than what was intended.
Skip the BOV's anyway, they are ricer like on <$30k cars, just plain silly on a BMW
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #8
LiKWiD335xi
Anthony
Italy
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335xi

Quote:
You have to remember that they warranty both their work and their parts. Dealerships can hassle someone over anything aftermarket because it's not a product from BMW and it wasn't installed by a certified tech. Installing something wrong can cause big problems also.

OP: I suggest researching your dealership and dealerships around you. If you can't find anything then get friendly with your SA and casually talk about parts you've seen for the car and see what he has to say about it. But don't start off with "Hey, I bought these parts - are they going to void my warranty?" cause that's just asking for it.
      06-21-2009, 03:23 AM   #9
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

And you assume SA is dumb enough not to know what you are implying already? Be careful insult the guy/girl's intelligence at your own peril. How about a straight up question if xyz would void warranty? That way you did not claim anything or try to lie etc, its a straight up question they should answer.
      06-21-2009, 04:10 AM   #10
slowpoke
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
And you assume SA is dumb enough not to know what you are implying already? Be careful insult the guy/girl's intelligence at your own peril. How about a straight up question if xyz would void warranty? That way you did not claim anything or try to lie etc, its a straight up question they should answer.
Asking them straight up sounds a lot more suspicious than if someone was to make a casual conversation about mods and what the sa thought about it. =/ I mean obviously if you make it sound fake and ask obvious tell tale signs of modding then sa will get suspicious but if you can have a casual convo that doesnt revolve 100% around mods then I'd say its safe to assume he won't think much of it. Atleast it's a heck of a lot better than asking straight up if something voids a warranty. Makes it sound like you have it already installed in your car.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 04:33 AM   #11
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

so asking straight and honest questions makes you suspicious?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 04:46 AM   #12
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiKWiD335xi View Post
You have to remember that they warranty both their work and their parts. Dealerships can hassle someone over anything aftermarket because it's not a product from BMW and it wasn't installed by a certified tech. Installing something wrong can cause big problems also.

Of course, technically they could give you a hard time about a drop in air filter too. But it's the probability I was talking about and what is "accepted" as aftermarket and what is not.
Most manufacturers and service centers have certain parameters of what they will accept and what they won't when it comes to aftermarket parts, etc. And again, there has to be proof something caused a failure.
It would be harder to blame a better intercooler on a failure than say DP's or something that's technically illegal.

Opening up a hood and seeing DCI's are usually more of a "shock" and red flag for mods than a relatively well hidden FMIC too.

You always mod at your own risk, but finding out which is "accepted" and what isn't per each dealer is what's best.

Keep in mind, techs get paid more for non-warranty work than they do for warranty work. So many techs have a reason to refuse warranty service if it can be blamed on an aftermarket mod.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 05:16 AM   #13
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

Quote:
Of course, technically they could give you a hard time about a drop in air filter too. But it's the probability I was talking about and what is "accepted" as aftermarket and what is not.
Most manufacturers and service centers have certain parameters of what they will accept and what they won't when it comes to aftermarket parts, etc. And again, there has to be proof something caused a failure.
It would be harder to blame a better intercooler on a failure than say DP's or something that's technically illegal.

Opening up a hood and seeing DCI's are usually more of a "shock" and red flag for mods than a relatively well hidden FMIC too.

You always mod at your own risk, but finding out which is "accepted" and what isn't per each dealer is what's best.

Keep in mind, techs get paid more for non-warranty work than they do for warranty work. So many techs have a reason to refuse warranty service if it can be blamed on an aftermarket mod.
really? so they have different labor charges? so let's say your car is out of warranty and you need something fixed they will charge you more than what they would charge BMW to fix something under warranty? i guess BMW gets a discount because of the dealer relationship? then there's a diff price for non BMW parts issues?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 06:57 AM   #14
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
"you bet your sweet bippie" it will.

for all of you old enough to remember, "laugh in".
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #15
Tman1800
Private
Rep
Drives: 335I

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I asked my dealer about aftermarket parts and they told me if i ever have a issue with the car and it can be linked to my parts they would void my warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #16
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

Quote:
An intercooler also lets more air in. That's the whole reason for getting one. It cools the intake charge, making it denser, allowing more air to fill the same space, putting more air into the engine.
If your aftermarket parts cause your problem, then it's not covered. Same as if you filled up your engine with water from a hose (an yes, I've had a car towed in for that very reason). If you have an aftermarket intercooler, blow off valve, intake manifold, or other, and come in with an underboost code, we're going to charge you diagnosis to check it out. If the underboost is being caused by the aftermarket part, or the installation of that part, then you have to pay. That's only fair.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 03:00 AM   #17
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makushr1 View Post
Depending on the dealer, the IC and intake will be OK to some. I think a BOV kit will void the warranty at almost any dealership. I have no basis for my assumption, but that would be my guess. Just my $.02
umm just to correct you, i have a BOV and they dont get 2 shits about it being on there. i think if u had a FMIC they would question it more than the BOV or even intakes for that matter.
      06-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #18
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen612 View Post
Your entire warranty cannot just magically be completely voided.

Changing OE parts to aftermarket parts will likely void the warranty on anything related to the modification. So if you change the struts and springs, and a strut top needs to be replaced under warranty, you'll likely get voided. But if your engine starts misfiring, and you need warranty service, they can't void it it because of the suspension changes, because there's no way your suspension mods could have caused a misfire.

With an intercooler, BOV (Waste of money by the way), and intake, pretty much anything that goes wrong that could possibly be attributed to those mods will likely not be covered under your warranty. Even your drivetrain will likely have a meritous warranty denial, because more power was being put through it that it was originally designed for.

Modding cars does not mix well with warranties.

Get it?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #19
flem
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Your entire warranty cannot just magically be completely voided.

Changing OE parts to aftermarket parts will likely void the warranty on anything related to the modification. So if you change the struts and springs, and a strut top needs to be replaced under warranty, you'll likely get voided. But if your engine starts misfiring, and you need warranty service, they can't void it it because of the suspension changes, because there's no way your suspension mods could have caused a misfire.

With an intercooler, BOV (Waste of money by the way), and intake, pretty much anything that goes wrong that could possibly be attributed to those mods will likely not be covered under your warranty. Even your drivetrain will likely have a meritous warranty denial, because more power was being put through it that it was originally designed for.

Modding cars does not mix well with warranties.

Get it?
It is up to the dealer to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure/problem before they void your warranty.

How is a BOV a waste of money? Especially when it will come with a hard pipe to replace the upper IC pipe?
      06-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #20
golfinz
Captain
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M3

If your worried about your warranty and you have mods...take them off before going in....PERIOD! Im not doing any mods I can't reverse in a few minutes/hrs (other than springs or coilovers). These threads are pointless and never go anywhere
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #21
STICKY335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

Why not just take off the mods when you visit the dealer? saves all problems... its a hassle but IMO its worth it.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #22
LiKWiD335xi
Anthony
Italy
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
I didn't mean to go in and lie about anything. And I'm certainly not implying to try to get over on the dealership.

What I meant was to just talk about it but not by starting off with the question. Having a convo and asking questions are two different things. It's basically just to judge their view on mods. Some dealerships give more leeway than others and some SA's will give you a heads up when there's a problem before doing anything drastic - knowing this before you do any mods is a good idea.