E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Working way too hard...need help!!!

06-29-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

Working way too hard...need help!!!

Hey there folks, ever since i was a young kid ive always been a hard worker, the unlazy kind, always loved to work.

however i share this story because i need help, and i know networking is a great thing.

About two years ago my dad split up with his partner, i was 20 years ago. It was risky but definately a good move. He needed my help and of course knowing its my family business i didnt back down.

Well here we are two years later and we have expanded, and im working 80 plus hours a week.

We are in the business of selling cars. Over the years i have changed our marketing and things have gotten very good in my opinion even in this crazy economy. Im in charge of sales and customer service, as its my dads busy finding good cars we can sell.

i also for a credit union setting up their merchant servicing. I put in 40 hours a week here from monday-friday from 8 30 to 5 30. I even get a lot of calls from customers at work, my boss doesnt like it but oh well. After that every night im working until 9 o clock atleast. Answering emails, setting up shipping, paperwork, title work, customer service.

Saturdays is the day i pick up the cars from the detail shop take pictures and start advertising. Now i dont want to quit my credit union job, i look at it as paying my bills, and etc and the money i make from our business as an extra to put away.

However the last 2 months during our expansion, i just cant take it anymore. I know i know some might say im bullshitting but im really not, some say for a 22 year old i am. This is just in small detail, but im sure any business owner can relate to what im saying. What do i do in a position like this? I love the money coming in but im noticing its makign me lose my mind.

All my friends have been saying is im so tired and ive turned wierd, and i believe them i have!!! I dont want to dissapoint my family..Ive worked very hard and have a lot of responsibilites. To be honest in our business i even told my father i wouldnt want anyone else doing my job because i feel like they wouldnt do it as good as me.

What do some do to get some normal rest(because i cant even sleep good anymore i always feel weak)....i feel like im dazed up in another world.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Cyrax91
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: Imola Red F80 M3

I hear you dude. I dont work as much, but the work is draining. I think if I were doing something that I enjoyed more I would be happier even if it didn't pay as well. Are you enjoying your work?
      06-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Cyrax91
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: Imola Red F80 M3

Go on a long vacation ha. Im going back to Greece to visit my family for a month. It helps refuel the mind and lets you relax.
      06-29-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpavlakos91 View Post
I hear you dude. I dont work as much, but the work is draining. I think if I were doing something that I enjoyed more I would be happier even if it didn't pay as well. Are you enjoying your work?
ive never been to type to complain, however to be honest i love our family business and i plan on continuing it and doing it the rest of my life. I love cars period.

Ive gone out of town 4 times in the last 3 months on weekends...it just doesnt help. I end up taking my lap top/iphone and doing work wherever i go.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

money isnt everything, it comes with hard work usually overtime
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Weekends don't cut it. Apply the same dilligence to your vacation as you do to your work. Take two weeks off minimum. You'll probably find it takes the whole first week to get out of work mode. Get out of the country if you can.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

go get a girlfriend have sex when you stressed or just find a different chick at a bar or club each time lol
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 07:49 PM   #8
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
You need a plan. Without some kind of goal you're just going to feel like you're on an endless treadmill and burn out. Figure out what you really want in life. If it takes money, keep working to get enough. Since you've got a family business to be part of, I would figure out a transition out of the credit union. Maybe you won't end up working a lot less hours, but building up your equity can be a lot more rewarding than just collecting a pay check.
      06-30-2009, 07:26 AM   #9
nvez
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 GLE63s

Damn op. I've been on the same boat.

First of all, no matter how good any job you have, the business will make more, so I say quit your job and work a bi more hours inyour business. I'm sure it'll make as much and even more...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

Its not BS. Dude your 22. Take a vacation. And then decide how important is that second income? If its to the point where you cant sleep and your lifestyle is significantly affected - then its time to make a change. Good luck, and GOOD work ethic!

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #11
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Don't burn out man. It took me a year of working 80 hour weeks to finally take off and just do my own thing. I've never looked back since.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #12
Juanto
Live my life 1 f/ at a time
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4Runner

I wasn't in as bad of a situation but I was in a situation similar. What I did was take a nice week long vacation and let myself recharge. After I did that I came back to normal and everything was good. I would suggest doing that. Don't take your phone, computer or anything and go somewhere out of the country or something and start making it a yearly thing or bi yearly. I'm going to start doing it more often if money allows.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
go get a girlfriend have sex when you stressed or just find a different chick at a bar or club each time lol
GREAT IDEA MAN
      06-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #14
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

to be honest, i dont give a crap about chicks, ive had my fun with them...and i feel like they hold me back.

I cant turn the phone off, its always got to be on. Every call can be a customer. Since im fully in charge of sales, this would not make sense, and im fine with it. Its a responsibility i have no decision in.

Now as far as my dad, i dont like dissapointing the old man. Hes been not only a good friend to me but an amazing father, and now that hes getting older i see it as a way of spending time with him and giving back and letting him rest a little. He gave to me now its my time to give to him.

I know money isnt everything, but i have this concept where im young i should work hard and establish my foundation. Im trying to save up for a nice investment next year. This is my plan, to provide my myself and my family in the future the best i can.

I believe i have to get out of the credit union, this is where im getting at. Yesterday was crazy i was up from 7AM until about 10 oclock doing work. Obviously with breaks in between(15 minutes). However it felt good.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #15
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
I used to work 80~100 hours a week for last 2 years (wall st.) and helped my father's real estate development company on top of that. It totally fucked my body, and my cordinal vision got messed up and now I can't stare or look at things/people in steady motion. Money was good and everything but now I look at it (I've been laid off last march), I lost too many things, my friends, memories and many other things.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #16
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
I used to work 80~100 hours a week for last 2 years (wall st.) and helped my father's real estate development company on top of that. It totally fucked my body, and my cordinal vision got messed up and now I can't stare or look at things/people in steady motion. Money was good and everything but now I look at it (I've been laid off last march), I lost too many things, my friends, memories and many other things.
Man that's harsh.

Have you seen a doctor?

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #17
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
hey man i totalled feel you, im losing out on friends, outings and such. Its just very tough because i have a job and in this economy its a blessing.

My body is totally fucked up, vision also from being behind a comp 24/7.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #18
grieverr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32

Sounds like you enjoy selling cars. Unless the money is that good, I would concentrate more on that. If you quit the credit union, you can take half those hours to dedicate to the business, and you'll still be working less and hopefully improving your business.
That is, assuming the cars are making enough money for you.

Life is short, and many people become miserable doing something they have to, instead of something they like to, and their quality of life suffers.

On the other hand, because the economy is tough, maybe you can stick it out for a certain amount of time. Maybe give yourself one or two more years and then you'll quit. You are young, and maybe a little sacrifice now will pay off in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 03:48 PM   #19
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted335 View Post
hey man i totalled feel you, im losing out on friends, outings and such. Its just very tough because i have a job and in this economy its a blessing.

My body is totally fucked up, vision also from being behind a comp 24/7.
Boosted, we should work out together.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #20
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
Boosted, we should work out together.
what line of work you in?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #21
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted335 View Post
what line of work you in?
Serving the Lord. At least it's the only line of work that I care for.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #22
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
Serving the Lord. At least it's the only line of work that I care for.
what does the lord eat?
Appreciate 0