E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > DSC and what it does?

07-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
BLACK335iCOUPE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Full Load

DSC and what it does?

Hey I have a quick question,

What does it mean when you click DSC and it says DSC on your display?
What about when you hold it and you get the little caution triangle?
How do these 2 differ from "normal" mode?

I know these are newbie questions but I have never really had them cleared up so would appreciate the help. Which mode would be best for 0-60? Handling? Everyday driving?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Hint: Your car came with a manual, and this site came with a search function.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
BLACK335iCOUPE
Private First Class
Rep

search never works.. you either get like 1000 threads nothing to do with your question or you get like 2 if you search really specific that still don't help
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

You're right. There is absolutely no pertinent information on DTC or DSC here on these forums.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
lookylookitzadam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK335iCOUPE View Post
search never works.. you either get like 1000 threads nothing to do with your question or you get like 2 if you search really specific that still don't help
search titles not bodies
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

So how about the manual?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #7
BLACK335iCOUPE
Private First Class
Rep

or because most of you know the answer you could just TYPE it in 10 seconds
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
lookylookitzadam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

search -> advanced search -> Search Titles Only -> Keywords: DSC

http://www.e90post.com/forums/search...archid=8507167
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Since everybody here seems to be the opposite from helpful.. God forbid they actually give you the simple answer instead of wasting bandwith on 15 of these guys...

To the OP, the safest setting is the default setting.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #10
anpmech
anpmech
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

As far as I know, DSC is always on and is your normal everyday traction control. Pushing the DSC button once will put it in Foul Weather mode IIRC, Good for Snow and rain. Holding the button down you'll disable it (the warning triangle) and can do burnouts, crash and die. You do have to be careful with it off obviously, especially with the power a 335 has. You can get sideways pretty easy.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
thkfast
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Sakhir Orange DCT

Default setting upon starting your car is fully intrusive TRACTION CONTROL - even the slightest wheel spin will cut power or apply brakes to inprove traction.

Push DSC button once - Less intrusive TRACTION CONTROL - will allow some wheel spin - disables use of cruise control.

HOLDING DSC for like 5 seconds - you get the (!) warning sign because this pretty much turns off your TRACTION CONTROL - allows wheel spin, drifting, etc...this is the mode you should use when attempting controlled acceleration runs or get sideways. This mode also disables use of cruise control.

Quick and dirty explanation

2015 F82 M4 - Sakhir Orange Metallic
2013 E92 M3 / 2013 E92 335is / 2010 E90 335i / 2007 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an asshole

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
Quote:
Cause people like you don't search. They just ask compounding the situation
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #13
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkfast View Post
Default setting upon starting your car is fully intrusive TRACTION CONTROL - even the slightest wheel spin will cut power or apply brakes to inprove traction.

DSC - Less intrusive TRACTION CONTROL - will allow some wheel spin - disables use of cruise control.

HOLDING DSC for like 5 seconds - you get the (!) warning sign because this pretty much turns off your TRACTION CONTROL - allows wheel spin, drifting, etc...this is the mode you should use when attempting controlled acceleration runs or get sideways. This mode also disables use of cruise control.

Quick and dirty explanation
Good explanation but wrong.

By default, DSC is activated, cutting your throttle basically any time you use the steering wheel and go pedal at the same time. Lame.

press the button once, DTC is activated. Use this in snow or if you find DSC too intrusive.

Hold the button for 5 seconds, and it's all off. Back end isn't as lively as it should be (no LSD), but it can still be somewhat fun. OP, try some canyon roads with sheer cliffs for this setting, be generous with the gas pedal, and let us know how it goes....
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #14
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

You really should RTFM for such a basic information, but there's so much misinformation being presented I have to step in.

DSC on is the defualt every time you start the car. It stands for "digital stability control". People are right that it'll intrusively cut power at the slightest hint of wheelspin, but it also does far more. The "stability" part of DSC means it'll brake all four wheels independently to keep your car from spining out. This is handy. You can do a quick U-turn with your foot on the floor if you want! GREAT safety feature. It will not revoke the laws of physics, but it'll let you get away with a lot. This is what you should use almost all the time, including snow...ESPECIALLY in snow, and espeically if you're driving vigoursly on public roads.

DTC was what they had before DSC. Digital Traction Control. This turns off the stability control features and will cut power (or brake...not sure) to the drive wheels if they're spinning out after it detects a significant amount of spin. Keeping the back end from losing traction will also help keep the car pointed where it's going, but it isn't nearly as comprehensive of a system as DSC. If you're STUCK in the snow and REQUIRE a little wheel spin to get moving at all, you'll need to use this momentarily. It's also handy if you're at the track or something, but not a very experienced driver.

Holding the button in for 5 seconds turns all these electronic nannies off, and the car will behave like any other RWD car produced until ~10 years ago. Floor it in a U-turn and it'll swap ends in a heartbeat. Go into a corner too hot and you'll skid off the road. Really the only reason to use this is playing around somewhere you won't hurt anyone or racing where you want complete control up to 10/10ths.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #15
BLACK335iCOUPE
Private First Class
Rep

so basically pressing the button once helps handling and overall performance? which mode would optimize 0-60 runs for a steptronic car?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #16
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
so basically pressing the button once helps handling and overall performance? which mode would optimize 0-60 runs for a steptronic car?
No. Turning off (or easing up but pushing once) DSC does not help handling and performance. It helps if you're in a situation where you require or desire more wheelspin.

Please read carve's post above, it's quite accurate.

Leave DSC on unless you want wheelspin and really know what you're doing. And don't just assume you know what you're doing..

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #17
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

I think Carve is right, but I believe the D stands for "Dynamic", not "Digital". I could be mistaken though, so feel free to correct me and teach me something as well...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #18
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
I think Carve is right, but I believe the D stands for "Dynamic", not "Digital". I could be mistaken though, so feel free to correct me and teach me something as well...
You're right, in BMW's terms it does stand for "Dynamic". Aside from that, carve is dead on.

But it's all the same - Toyota calls it VSC (Vehicle Skid Control), Honda calls it VSA (Vehicle Skid Assist), Audi calls it ESC (Electronic Stabilization Program), etc.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 11:55 PM   #19
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

from the sound of it, i would say keep it on

in my previous merc, it was called ESP (elec. stability something) and even when you pushed it it would allow SOME spin but barely anything...
i had to go into the fuse box, take fuse #50 out to disable ABS/ESP/TC everything.
this would allow me to drift/burnout/act like an idiot in closed, controlled areas where i practiced learning to control my car to a point where i would be able to drive better with TC off than with on
but for every day driving, keep it on. it was invented for a purpose

for most people, it'll save lives.
after you have a LOT of (controlled) practices with TC (traction control if i forgot to mention) off, than you might be able to drive better with it off, but do not think you can from the start... it will take a lot of spinning out, "o crap I'm gonna crash," etc before you even get close to handling a powerful car with TC off

my old merc was a slow c230, with a 1.8L S/C engine.. i NEVER attempted this when i had the 3.2L S/C C32...
with the 335, i will prly also never attempt this...
with 300 torque at such low rpms... you will spin out, you will lose control, and you may crash...you'll burn your rubber a lot, thats for sure

if you want to have a bit of fun, push it once, but don't hold it down and turn it all off. not safe...
you do NOT want to go sideways unless you're in a controlled area where when in the event of a spin out (everyone spins out, pros, you, me, the other guy, etc) you dont go into a pole/other car/person etc.

Keep it on.
push it once if you want some fun.
Never hold it.

but this is just what I think.
your car, your life, do what you want as long as I'm not there (and i hope you don't hurt anyone [or yourself..] in the hopes of trying to show off/have fun)

o, and read the manual
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 12:39 AM   #20
Minefield
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Car

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 12:40 AM   #21
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

And still nobody seems to have it completely right?

DSC - Dynamic Stability Control, as explained above, is on by default.

DTC - Dynamic Traction Control - allows some slippage and, when brought into play by pushing the DSC button once, restricts the effect of DSC so that it cuts in at a later threshold. Driving with 'DTC Activated, DSC Restricted' does allow more oversteer before it cuts in. I find when driving hard on familiar surfaces, this setting makes progress smoother but still works as a very effective stability control. I have also found that, if taking off in slippery conditions or on curves (e.g. pulling out from the side of the road) that the little bit of wheelspin provided by DTC does make for more rapid progress.

So - most driving, and with family in the car or in the wet, everything on
driving hard, on track or familiar roads, DTC on, DSC restricted is best
accelerating as fast as possible, DTC on (with some sympathy)
McDonalds carpark, DSC completely off.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 08:22 AM   #22
Gibson6594
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Do nothing for fun

Push once for more fun

Hold for 5 seconds for most fun

Under controlled conditions of course.
Appreciate 0