E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i E90 LCI – review and experiences

08-07-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Thumbs up 335i E90 LCI – review and experiences

As featured on E90post Homepage.

Attention! Overlong article – not for people with short attention span!

After having driven more than 11.000 km with my new vehicle, I would like to share my experiences with this forum. I have divided the review into several categories in order to simplify the reading and so that people can only read the part of the review that is of interest to them.

Why 335i?
My previous ride was an Alpina B3 3,3 (E46) with 280 hp (crank) which I acquired in 2006 and with which I was very satisfied:

After it exceeded the 100.000km mark, I believed that it was time to look out for a successor; several choices came to my mind and here are the pros and cons that I weighed in my mind:
  • Maserati GT 4200: After having seen and heard it several times, I fell in love with its stylish and elegant lines, the great sound of its Ferrari engine and the exclusivity of the whole package. However and with some regret I excluded it, mainly because I could already imagine the rumours at my job when I arrive with such a car (“now he’s completely lost it”), and also because I feared follow-up costs due to expensive maintenance and insurance. I also preferred to acquire a new car (or almost) this time, and the Maserati was out of my budget for this. So: on to the BMW alternatives!
  • Alpina B3 Biturbo: I really like the Alpina style – exclusive, sportive but also elegant and not too obtrusive. However, to my regret Alpina has apparently taken the decision not to offer the new B3 with a manual transmission – and I just don’t like automatic transmissions. Call me old-fashioned, but I just love the direct link between myself and the engine, and the AT dilutes that too much for my taste. So – no Alpina this time.
  • BMW M3: Now it became a little more difficult. The M3 has a fantastic engine, the sound is awesome, and the suspension with the electronic adjustment is excellent. Moreover, it’s also available as a sedan this time, and I preferred the two extra doors as the car was supposed to be my daily driver. After an extended test drive with an M3 (although the E92 version) I was very much impressed with all that. The engine was in its character similar to my Alpina, as it was a typical natural aspirated engine and the real punch only came above 4000 rpm, so that in order to accelerate really hard you had to keep the engine in high revs. If you didn’t, most of the new diesels with their huge torque outperformed it on the motorway. Now, as much fun as it was to let the engine roar and have the slightest movement of the accelerator transmit into immediate action, the downsides were quite apparent: the noise level was too high for my taste on longer runs, if you do use the engine as it wants you to, the fuel consumption is really off the charts, and with the same options as the 335i it would have cost me around 20.000 EUR more, not to speak about the insurance fees that are much higher. So finally – no M3 for me!
  • 335i: One of the reasons why I took the 335i into consideration was that I wanted a car with a different character than my Alpina, i.e. an engine with loads of low-end torque. I also thought about the 335d, but due to the fact that it also only exists with automatic transmission, the rpm bandwidth where the torque can be effectively used is comparatively small and it did not rev as willingly as a petrol engine, I excluded that one quite quickly. So finally the 335i seemed to me the best of two worlds – loads of torque available at low revs due to the bi-turbo-concept, but at the same time the power is there until way beyond 6000 rpm. A test drive confirmed these assumptions, and also allayed my fear of turbo lag which was much less discernible than I feared. Suspension, sound and power were certainly below the M3, but with 306 hp and 400 Nm torque from 1500 rpm on you could go just as quick as the M3 in most situations of daily driving, while consuming much less fuel, being less obtrusive and saving quite a lot of money. As mentioned above I decided to go for the sedan as it’s more practical, has less wind noise at high speeds and is more inconspicous than the coupé. It was therefore also clear to me that I wanted to wait for the facelift of the sedan in order to profit from the better design and equipment (updated iDrive and GPS mainly).

2. Choice of colour and optional equipment
  • Colour: My previous Alpina was silver on the outside and black leather inside which I liked quite a lot and had certain advantages (easy to clean), but I now wanted something different. Some friends of mine had vehicles that were black on the outside and had beige leather interior, and I found that very elegant; it also looked that way in BMW’s catalogues of the E90. As I have neither kids nor dogs, the light interior colour should not be a problem either. – So, as an exteriour colour I first thought about sapphire black or a dark blue…until I got my hands on the BMW Individual catalogue and their special colours. These looked fantastic! The different shadings depending on the lighting were really subtle and beautiful, and so I decided to go either with azurite black or onyx blue, although the premium compared to the “normal” metallic colours is really hefty. After learning that onyx blue was no more on offer (for the sedan) and I was not too convinced of the slightly violet tint of that colour, I chose to go with azurite black. – For the interior I had to choose between the “normal” beige Dakota leather and the leather options from the BMW Individual catalogue, i.e. Merino champagne or Merino platinum. I was not 100% convinced of the Dakota colour and it was not really to my taste that some parts on the doors were in beige plastic. Merino Platinum was a bit too light for my taste (looked almost white), so that in the end I chose to go with Merino champagne which contrasted very well with the black parts of the interior.
  • Optional equipment (BMW): Having chosen an exterior colour from the BMW Individual offer, as well as the leather type from the same, I also had a look at the trims that were offered by the BMW Individual catalogue – and they looked (in my opinion) more elegant than the normal trims that can be ordered from the stock choice. As a contrast to the champagne leather I really only had the choice between the black piano trim and the anthracite mussle ahorn trim; the piano trim looked too similar to the normal black trim that was available for the E92, so that I finally chose the anthracite mussle ahorn wooden trim where you see at once that it’s wood and not some painted plastic. – It was also clear that it had to be the big GPS screen (as this was state of the art following the sedan’s facelift), and as an audophile I quickly chose the BMW Individual high end sound system, including the USB port with iPod integration. Sport seats were a self-evident option, as I had already appreciated those on my Alpina, the same consideration also goes for the lordosis support.
  • Optional equipment (Alpina): So ok, this car is no Alpina – but as I said, I liked the sportive-understated look of their spoilers and rims, so that I just had to have these also on the 335i. In any case, the new Alpina B3 Biturbo is more or less a 335i with some minor modifications! And the Alpina aerodynamic components add more stability to the car at high speeds, just as the 19 inch Alpina Classic rims with Michelin Pilot Sport tires in 235/265 width add traction and comfort (non-RFT!).

3. Experience: Look and feel
The problem with all the BMW Individual parts was that these are so rare that I could not find a car with exactly the same combination in order to see what it looks like in real life. As a result I ordered the car more or less blindly pursuant to the photos in the catalogue and some others that some forum members provided. However I was completely bowled over when I picked up the car – the combination of the dark exterior colour and the light interior colour was simply amazing. Very classy, elegant and also unusual – even now after almost 6 months I’m happy every time I enter the car and look at that combination of colours. The azurite black paint has a dark blue shine under direct sunlight, and its quality is really first rate. I believe all paints from the BMW Individual selection are finished with 5 layers, as to only 3 for normal metallic finishes. It’s more care intensive than silver, of course, and I’ve visited the car wash somewhat more often than before.

First of all some photos of the car from outside:
First photo – from the side::

Second photo – front from the side:

Third photo – again front from the side:

Fourth photo – from the side under direct sunlight:

Also some photos from the interior:

First photo – interior back:

Second photo – interior front passenger seat:

Third photo – interior driver’s seat:

As you can see I also took the option „shadowline“ which nicely accentuates the azurite black colour and gives the car a more sportive touch. You can order the dark roof lining in a package with the BMW Individual options and the steering wheel with the wood trim, which is also something I haven’t seen anywhere else until now and looks quite elegant in my opinion. I also ordered the smoker’s package (as a non-smoker) in order to avoid the ugly whole above the gear lever that would be there otherwise. The steering wheel has a larger rim than the normal sport steering whel, is nicely upholstered and has excellent grip.

The Merino champagne leather has a better feel to it than the normal Dakota leather and is not too care intensive in spite of its colour. Right now I clean the front seats and the arm rest once a month which is sufficient to remove the slight discolourings that come along with normal use.

The components of the Alpina aerodynamics package (front and rear spoilers) fit like OEM parts – really perfect. I had them painted and mounted at Alpina in Buchloe, and it looks just as if the car was manufactured with these parts. The Alpina Classic rims are a bit more noticeable on this car than on my previous Alpina due to the dark colour, but do not look oversized in 19 inches. As mentioned above, I mounted Michelin Pilot Sport tires in 235 mm (front) and 265 mm (back) on them, and for that the fenders had to be slightly modified which was also done at Alpina directly. I’m considering a slight lowering of the car (20 mm) to remove the space between the wheels and the fender, which could be done next year. Here are some more shots:

First photo – Alpina front spoiler:

Second photo – Alpina rear spoiler:

Third photo – Alpina classic rims 19 inch:

4. Experience: engine
This N54 (as the experts call it) is really a marvel and one of the big plus factors of the car. Even though Audi and Mercedes now manage to build some very good engines, this 3 litre biturbo is really great engineering, and in the end exactly what I had been looking for: pushes powerfully from low revs, doesn’t stop until more than 6000 rpm and is very linear in its deployment. Excellent throttle response as well (although of course not as spontaneous and razor-sharp as a naturally aspirated engine), very elastic and revs smoothly as BMW’s sixpacks are supposed to. On the Autobahn you can in the end drive it like with an automatic transmission – from 80 km/h on you use the 6th gear and are still much faster than almost all other traffic, if need be. Due to the very even and smooth power output you almost don’t have the feeling to drive a forced induction car – you’d rather think it’s a big V8 engine. That is for a car with more than 300 hp almost too unspectacular, but every time you look at the speedo you’re surprised how fast you’re actually going.

Fuel consumption depends very much from your driving style – around 10l on 100km is no problem with a rather defensive driving style, but driving in the city or at WOT all the time on the motorway more than 13l can be realised just as easily. While driving in a quite dynamic manner I have calculated an average of 12,3l for 100km (around 29 miles per gallon), which is a very good value for the power on offer.

5. Experience: Tires / suspension / steering / brakes / comfort
When I picked it up, the car was equipped with the stock rims in 17 inch (model no. 285) on runflat winter tires (which I had ordered specifically as I wanted to use the 19 inch Alpina rims as summer wheels). I was rather disappointed with these, as the car seemed less comfortable than my already quite sportive Alpina, although the latter had 18” wheels and a sport suspension. In particular the response on short bumps was quite bad, and on the motorway the suspension as a whole had a wooden feeling to it. That changed however abruptly when, some days later, I had the Alpina wheels without runflat tires mounted: In spite of the bigger diameter the travel comfort was much better, the suspension seemed more supple. I will therefore sell my 17” wheels in autumn and have already acquired other winter wheels – 19 inch BMW Performance rims with Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme (235mm on all wheels), non-runflat and with a clearance for up to 270 km/h. – The noise level of the car is generally lower than in the E46, only from 200 km/h on upwards do wind and wheel noises increase. – The seats are very comfortable and it is easy to find an ideal position due to the multiple possibilities to adjust all kinds of things – now even the upper lateral support of the seat can be adjusted in width. Together with the lordosis support these are very comfortable even for long distances. In my previous car I had the completely electric adjustable seats, but I don’t miss that at all – the partly electric adjustment I now have is quite sufficient, if you ask me, except if you change the car’s driver frequently and therefore need the memory function.

The suspension – just to be precise: it’s the stock suspension, not the M suspension – is already very good: little roll, excellent cornering ability (as expected for a 3 series) and good-natured even in critical situations. Even if you do stupid things with it, you never have the impression that the suspension may do something unpredictable. On public roads you cannot really test the limits of this suspension, in particular if you have such wide tires as I do now; and in spite of such substantial reserves it is still quite comfortable. The DSC is not overbearing either, you only notice it when you accelerate too much in a turn or when the tarmac is slippery. The car stays quite solid even when driving at very high speeds on the Autobahn (more than 230 km/h). On the track or on winding country roads one could however think of a more direct steering response and less roll and pitch. In the medium term I think that I’ll invest into the Bilstein B16 Ride Control suspension and put some M3 parts into the car, but that won’t be done before next year.

The steering is very direct and conveys a good sense of contact to the road. I have the so-called active steering which changes the parameters of the steering depending on the speed. This is one of the big differences that I feel every time I drive that car, compared to my previous E46. I know there are quite a lot of discussions about the merits of this particular steering, but I can’t imagine driving without it. Takes some getting used to, of course, as in particular at low speeds you tend to turn the wheel more than necessary at first. But once you know how it reacts, it’s so much fun – the car feels almost like a cart on curvy roads, and it’s very practical if you’re parking in an underground garage (as I do every day).

What I do feel quite well are the actions of the so-called electronic differential that the 3 series have built in since the facelift. It’s not really a differential but rather an additional function of the DSC which brakes the rear wheel that starts to spin due to too much power. It does not (as would a mechanic differential such as the Quaife) transfer torque from one wheel to the other. The driving characteristics of the car become probably somewhat more stable through this, but mainly it just eats away the power, in particular if you accelerate in first or second gear. It is somewhat irritating that you do feel its intervention quite clearly, but the DSC lamp does not blink when the electronic differential is activated. I will therefore certainly invest into a Quaife differential in the course of next year.

As far as the brakes are concerned, they have been sufficient so far – strong grip when necessary, can be modulated quite easily and no fading even under strain. Also the response during rain (that was a major problem with the E46) is generally good, even though on my last trip I noticed a delayed response and a tendency of the car to veer to the right when braking hard. It seems therefore that BMW does not yet have this problem completely under control; I think that I’ll be investing into a big brake kit (probably Brembo) with slotted discs at one point in time, also to have more stopping power from very high speeds (more than 250 km/h). In the meantime I’ll observe this and if it becomes worse I’ll replace the discs with slotted ones (EBC just offered those) and mount better brake pads at the same time (such as the Cool Carbon ones).

6. Experience: GPS, BMW Online
The new GPS Professional – along with the modified iDrive – is the best system I’ve used so far. Much better than both the system on my E46 or the previous one on the E9x – much higher resolution, excellent readability, very fast calculation and a usability due to the modified menu structure and the additional buttons of the iDrive that leaves nothing to be desired. The operation of it by way of vocal commands also works very well, but you clearly have to spend some time working through the manual in order to get everything right.
What could be improved is to offer a head-up display similar to the one offered for the 5 series, additional guidance elements besides the speedo (similar to Audi/VW) and (optional) display of all speed limits.

I’m also a user of BMW Online since a few weeks, as this system is free for a period of three years for all those that have the big GPS unit (after such period a fee of 250 EUR p.a. has to be paid). It’s actually a mobile internet connection that works via an additional SIM card embedded into the car. As I don’t use my car very often professionally, this system (and in particular the option to have access to your e-mails) is not very important to me, as anyway it’s only properly usable while not driving. Information such as weather forecast, latest news or stock exchange rates is displayed flawlessly, and also the access to an address book (that can be transferred from Outlook or typed in on the internet) is quite useful. Integrated into the GPS is also the FCD or floating car data system by which the car receives additional traffic information from the BMW server. I was not yet able to properly judge the efficiency of that system, but it seems to me that independent of the TMC function traffic information is integrated into the route guidance rather quickly. Quite practical is also the possibility to obtain information and guidance free of charge from BMW, or to contact BMW in case of an accident or breakdown by way of a single button. You can also have the remote unlocking activated, which may be useful in some situations.

7. Experience: audio-system, iPod integration
The sound quality of the BMW Individual high end system (originally developed for the M3) is first class. Fine spatialisation of all instruments, great dynamics, high transparency and distortion-free even at very high volumes. As I’m mostly listening to classical music and playing on a Steinway in my free time, a first-rate audio system was quite important to me, and even though I was satisfied with the hifi system of the E46, this high end system is much, much better. The best test for such a system typically is well-recorded piano music, and that really sounds fantastic. Even though the premium to be paid for this system is substantial, it was well worth the investment (at least for me). 16 speakers, big subwoofers under the front seats and careful adaptation of the whole system to the interior of the 3 series – you can hear it.

The iPod integration is also very practical. I have an iPod Classic with 160GB hard disc, and it’s so much more practical than the CD changer I had in my previous car. I can choose between hundreds of different CDs, and everything is nicely displayed on the GPS screen and can be manipulated by the iDrive. The sound quality of the iPod is also quite good, but this obviously depends a lot on the bitrate and the encoding algorithm with which the tracks are converted. Only caveat: bleeping noises when the iPod’s hard disc is working and which are transmitted through the loudspeakers.

8. Modifications
One of the reasons to choose the 335i engine was also that, due to ist biturbo concept, it should be easy to tune and achieve sizable gains in hp and torque with relatively minor modifications. I had therefore always the intention to increase its power at one point in time, and the speed limiter at 250 km/h also annoyed me, as already my Alpina with less power had a top speed of more than 260, and I’m not a fan of such patronizing behaviour in all its forms (even though realistically such top speeds can only be achieved very rarely). This intention to tune it was also one of the reasons for the Alpina aerodynamics components as well as for the bigger and wider wheels than what the 335i came with in stock form. Furthermore, following a tune the stock speedo is not sufficient any more, as it only goes until 280 km/h. I therefore took the decision to at once modify the stock speedo and to have a speedo with a scale that goes until 330 km/h and red needles installed (similar to Alpina or the M3). This has been done by the firm WSM, who are doing this for more or less all tuning companies in Germany. It took them about 3 hours, and the result looks as if it had been that way from the beginning:

Moreover, if there’s something I was a bit disappointed in, it was the sound of the 335i. Even though I’m no fan of ricey sounding exhaust systems (“the louder the better”) where you need a hearing aid after 200 km, the 335i just sounded too tame, especially compared to my previous Alpina. If you have a car with more than 300 hp I think the sound can be a bit more on the sportive side, and so I started looking for some alternatives. The first I took into consideration was the BMW Performance exhaust, but I finally preferred a quad system for optical reasons. After a comparison between the Eisenmann sport and the Bastuck my vote went to the latter as it was less expensive than the Eisenmann but sounded just as good. Unfortunately there are no diffusors available for their quad system for the sedan (only for the E92/93), but I had the excellent company Daum Motorsport at hand who cut out the stock diffusor very precisely. It took several hundred kilometers to achieve the final sound, but now it sounds just like I wanted it to have – sharper, more throaty and beyond 4000 rpm outright angry without any droning. The tips stick out a bit (as Bastuck uses the same system for both the E90 and E92), but I like it that way. Here are some photos from the result:

First photo – stock exhaust:

Second photo – from the side after install of the Bastuck system:

Third photo – from the side and behind (1):

Fourth photo - from the side and behind (2):

As you can see in my sig, there are a number of additional modifications that have been made since, in particular in view of an increase in power. I will write up a separate report on these (when I find the time). EDIT: An exhaustive review of my modifications can be found under the following link: click here for my mods review

These are anyway my impressions until now – overall I’m very happy with the car which has fulfilled and even exceeded my expectations. Of course, there’s still room for improvement (see above), but it’s certainly a pleasure to drive in its current state.

Alpina_B3_Lux

Last edited by Alpina_B3_Lux; 11-19-2009 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
645Nm
only in it for the torque - awuleth'umshini wami
South Africa
Rep
Drives: sapphire black 335i

Garage List
2009 335i sedan  [0.00]
2005 120D  [0.00]
2007 335i sedan  [0.00]
B3-Lux

Great review!

I am so glad you translated the article for our benefit and taking care to provide all the detail. Thanks man!!!

Your car looks pure class nothing like my 335 boy racer looks. Well done man!!

I think you have also nailed the key modding issues of the 335 that need consideration: brakes; exhaust; suspension and an LSD. Once we start doing these we are in the M3 price territory and I sometimes wonder if it is all worth it...but then there is the torque and we smile again...

Question: The exhaust looks good. Did i understand you correctly...the exhaust tuning was done to your sound specification? Any vids of the exhaust? The bastuck exhaust sounds on youtube is simply amazing.

Must get that speedo conversion...great!
      08-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: '09 335i ///M-Sport

wow- we totally get the shaft here on cool models..

And here I thought my M-sport was cool...

Must be the german's way of saying - Ha! you have to drive slow and are americans... Take this very average option package as punishment for being so dull.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Yeah, get that LSD in there and call it a day. Alpina styling has always been my favorite, though it doesn't really please the younger crowd usually.
      08-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645Nm View Post
Question: The exhaust looks good. Did i understand you correctly...the exhaust tuning was done to your sound specification? Any vids of the exhaust?
No, there was no specific sound tuning with respect to the exhaust. I compared several models (BMW Performance exhaust, Eisenmann, Bastuck) and decided on the Bastuck as it has a distinctive but not too obnoxious sound (or should I say: growl?). However, right after the install the sound was still rather discreet, and it took several hundred kilometers for it to really develop and achieve its final sound.

I'll try to do some soundfiles one of these days and put them on YouTube. It's particularly amazing when you cold start it or drive in a tunnel and then rev it up...!

Alpina_B3_Lux
      08-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

That trim you have is
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 12:40 AM   #7
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

i love my e92 M sport, but id give it up in a heartbeat for an alpina. one thing im looking to do is eventualy change my dials to that alpina blue color.
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #8
dlim1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I'm loving the alpina parts you have on your car, great job!

Btw would you happen to know if that front lip is sold anywhere in the us?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 01:01 AM   #9
vitologarcia
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Alpine White M-Sport

I am sure this must be the best engine in the world! or at least let me keep thinking this
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 01:20 AM   #10
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Great extensive review!

Have you thought about doing a short shift kit, or even a simple change of the shift knob to the M shift knob? It would help to shorten the slightly longish shift distance and enhance your MT experience!
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 06:07 AM   #11
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by visor View Post
Great extensive review!

Have you thought about doing a short shift kit, or even a simple change of the shift knob to the M shift knob? It would help to shorten the slightly longish shift distance and enhance your MT experience!
I've thought about it (the short shift kit), and will probably do it in the long run. For the time being, though, there are other priorities such as the LSD or a sport suspension - gotta save my money for these!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlim1989 View Post
I'm loving the alpina parts you have on your car, great job!

Btw would you happen to know if that front lip is sold anywhere in the us?
I know that Alpina sells the front lip separately (not the rear lip, you can get that only together with the front lip). The part number for the sedan is 41 00 362. I should think that any BMW dealer should be able to source you Alpina parts, at least that's the way it's in Europe. Otherwise you can also ring up Alpina themselves, there's a phone number of their export team on their website and they're always very helpful.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      08-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #12
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

Great write up on this. Seems you have covered a lot of miles/KMs in the last 6 months
      08-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #13
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
I've thought about it (the short shift kit), and will probably do it in the long run. For the time being, though, there are other priorities such as the LSD or a sport suspension - gotta save my money for these!
Instead of the SSK, you can just get the US$60 M shift knob for now. Very easy DIY, less than 5 minutes! And much better and noticeably shorter throws for 6MT lovers. Highly recommended!

I'm reposting these 2 pics from someone who had done a comparison.
Attached Images

2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 07:32 AM   #14
R1200RT
R1200RT
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d (E90)

Garage List
2009 R1200RT  [0.00]
2009 E90  [0.00]
Thumbs up

I love your car! It looks the best.

Good call to get rid off the run flats. I did the same.
However: there seems to be a new generation around, which is said to be a lot better in comfort. But tha't's something to worry about for the next set.

Do you know if the frontlip fits on a non sports package E90 with Active Cruise Control?

Please let me know how you go with the LSD. I want to have the Quaife, but so far I did not find anybody to install it in The Netherlands.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #15
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1200RT View Post
I love your car! It looks the best.

Good call to get rid off the run flats. I did the same.
However: there seems to be a new generation around, which is said to be a lot better in comfort. But tha't's something to worry about for the next set.

Do you know if the frontlip fits on a non sports package E90 with Active Cruise Control?

Please let me know how you go with the LSD. I want to have the Quaife, but so far I did not find anybody to install it in The Netherlands.
Thanks for the compliments!

As to the front lip, I believe it would fit as I do not have the sports package. I don't have active cruise control, though, but I don't think that should be a problem as you can order it for the Alpina B3 BT as well.

The LSD is a project for next year - I will probably go to Birdsauto in London directly to have it installed (and profit from the low GP exchange rate).

Alpina_B3_Lux
      08-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #16
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Great job putting together a classic car. Bilstein ride controls, M3 control arms etc., and LSD will further transform it into a real performance car.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #17
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
Beautiful car & excellent right up! That interior combo
      08-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #18
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Thank you very much for your very informative review of your stunning new 335i !!!

I noted that you have swapped the RFTs for non-runflats. What will you do when and if your car has a flat tire on the autobahn or in some more remote location ???
      08-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #19
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
I noted that you have swapped the RFTs for non-runflats. What will you do when and if your car has a flat tire on the autobahn or in some more remote location ???
I will call BMW (from the car, see review above) and let them deliver me a new tire, and lend me a car in the meantime. And here in Europe locations tend to be less remote than it is possible in the US, so I don't worry about that at all.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      08-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #20
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
I will call BMW (from the car, see review above) and let them deliver me a new tire, and lend me a car in the meantime. And here in Europe locations tend to be less remote than it is possible in the US, so I don't worry about that at all.

Alpina_B3_Lux
Here in Western Canada, BMW dealers are few and far between. Even with BMW Assist and a flat tire, one could be waiting for many hours or even a day in a remote location. That's why I carry the M Mobility pack for long trips, so if need be, I can seal and re-inflate the tire.
      08-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #21
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
right on. good to see a true BMW enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #22
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
Here in Western Canada, BMW dealers are few and far between. Even with BMW Assist and a flat tire, one could be waiting for many hours or even a day in a remote location. That's why I carry the M Mobility pack for long trips, so if need be, I can seal and re-inflate the tire.
I got that mobility pack as well - it came along with the Alpina wheels. Let's hope we'll never need to use these!

Alpina_B3_Lux