E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bimmerpost Interview with BMW Performance (Parts 1-4 online now)

03-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Hello Bimmerpost!

On Tuesday March 16th 2010, I was graciously invited up to BMW NA to interview the manager of BMW Performance: Eric Riehle. Beyond the interview, I tested out a BMW Performance 335i, and was given a tour of their facility.

I used this opportunity to get new and updated answers to many questions circulating the Bimmerpost community.

The questions I received were:

Q1: In my extensive discussions with BMW enthusiasts, it seems the one product we all want to see is an LSD. In your previous interview, you cited that BMW feels that their is not enough demand for one whereas several (online and offline) BMW communities shows otherwise. Will BMW Performance respond to all the enthusiasts demands to release a LSD for the 335? And what type of LSD would it be?

Eric: Currently, all non-M BMW's made since 1995 have used what is known as an "e-diff" to simulate the effects of an LSD. For most BMW owners, this is sufficient. I do realize that their is demand being shown in the US for an LSD from enthusiasts. BMW Performance is currently building a business case for the LSD. I personally would like to see an LSD for the 335, and if enough demand is shown from BMW's various markets, it will be released.

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yUVSG8Byrcg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yUVSG8Byrcg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

Q2: One of the more popular items sold via the aftermarket are intake systems for the 335. In some cases, independent testing has shown that these provide small to negative gains. I feel that with BMW's engineering prowess and resources, you can craft a well designed intake that can reliably increase power and enhance the engine's audible note. Is BMW Performance working on an intake system for the 335? If not, is this something that could be added to the product pipeline in the future?

Eric: We do have an intake in consideration for the 335. It is around 75% completed in terms of development. If enough interest is shown, and a business case can be made for it, BMW Performance will release it.

Q2.5: What considerations does BMW make in Germany before releasing a product?

Eric: Longevity testing is a key component of the testing. As the engine is a mechanical device, it has limitations regarding wear from heat, stress, etc. BMW ensures that the reliability of the engine is maintained while safely going achieving the goals set for each component we sell.

Q3: I fielded many questions regarding being able to order BMW Performance parts with the car from the factory similar to how Mini sells JCW components. I agree that this would be useful in that it would save on installation costs, prevent having extra stock parts left over, and help save time/hassle. Has this been considered by BMW?

Eric: I am not sure if BMW considered this in the past. Many of the parts we install are not very difficult to install. If we were to offer these parts from the factory, too many configurations would exist and costs would increase. If the car was to be taken off the line and built elsewhere in Germany, due to labor costs, any chance of these parts being cost effective would be lost. Between the dealership and VDC, customers should not have an issue with having parts installed.

Q4: Has their been any consideration to release upgraded brake system
components for the 335, similar to the 135?

Eric: Due to crash testing, regulations, and brakes being such an integral part of the car, they need to be developed while that car is in the development stage. Unfortunately, the outlook for BMW Performance was not developed at the time the 335 was created so brakes were not developed. We do not have plans to release brakes for this generation 335, but we do plan on releasing them for future generations.

[u2b]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yylMYjDMeig&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yylMYjDMeig&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

Q5: Do any models get preferential treatment from BMW Performance? (ie: 135 over the 335?)

Eric: We do not give any model preferential treatment; if anything, it would be the contrary regarding the 135 considering that the E90 has a much larger installed user base.

Q6: Has BMW Performance considered re-branding ///M components as BMW Performance parts? (ie: brakes)

Eric: We have not considered that at this time. We do offer Motorsports products for the E90, Z4, and several other models. Catalogs of these parts can be found on BMWUSA.com. Keep in mind that these parts are not street legal.

Q7: Will BMW Performance release the amazing seats they made in the US?

Eric: When I was in Germany, I had a chance to sit in these seats...and they truly are amazing. Unfortunately due to regulations and the lack of the passenger occupancy sensor, these seats cannot be sold in the US. In order for us to add that and re-certify the seats for US (crash testing, etc), they would become cost prohibitive for most.

Q8: What differences exist between the 335is and the BMW Performance Power kit? Will these changes propagate to a new revision, or "Stage 2" Performance kit?

Eric: The main difference between the power kit and the 335is the overboost feature which momentarily increases torque levels. Hardware wise, the 335is has a beefier flywheel that can handle the additional torque. Early in the development phase of the power kit, we considered released multiple power levels. But as it stands, the costs involved with adding the flywheel into the 335i would be expensive due to the lengthy labour and ~$1000+ cost of the flywheel. So in effect, this would be cost prohibitive for most.

Q9: Have the price cuts improved sales for BMW Performance? How does BMW Performance determine pricing?

Eric: I took a look at the sales figures and they have improved since the price cuts. This is very encouraging. We determine the pricing by assesing what our product offers in terms of functionality, features, fit, and finish in comparison with other aftermarket manufacturers. We place a small price premium because we feel our products offer a higer overall quality and we include a warranty on the parts.

[u2b]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RbbMwZtGa2k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RbbMwZtGa2k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

Q10: Will BMW Performance make new parts for the N55, and will existing N54 parts transfer over?

Eric: BMW Performance will be making a power kit for the N55 that will bring power levels up to the same levels of the existing N54 power kit. Overboost is undecided at this time. Keep in mind that N54 will slowly be phased out in favor of the N55 due to efficiency and other factors, so the N55 will be targeted moving forward.

The current BMW Performance exhaust should have no problem being ported over to the N55 platform.

Q11: Has BMW Performance considered bundling parts together?

Eric: I am creating several packages as we speak. Estimated availability is around May. I would like to bundle together the power kit and the exhaust in a performance package. Another kit could be aesthetics and wheels or suspension and wheels. We would offer a discount on the bundles as added incentive.

Q12: What is BMW Performance's plan for the Z4?

Eric: We do offer parts for the Z4 currently such as the black kidney grills and 313 wheels. We will monitor sales and decide whether or not we should expand our offerings. We do have a performance diffusor coming out soon for the Z4.

Q13: What does BMW Performance have planned for the ///M3?

Eric: I personally would like to see some of the GTS parts trickle down into our market. I would love to see the titanium exhaust, but nothing is decided at this time.

Q14: Will BMW Performance release a suspension upgrade for the xi models?

Eric: When BMW created the suspension for the xi models, they decided the dampening rates and ride height for a specific purpose. If a BMW Performance suspension were to be installed, it would negate those design decisions. The exhaust and power kit do work on the xi models.

Q15: Any plans for BMW Performance diesel parts?

Eric: The 335d is an amazingly fast car…in no short part due to the 400+ ft-lbs of torque. Despite this, we feel that most people still look at gasoline powered engines as a more performance oriented option. This is slowly changing and we will actively monitor this segment of the market.

Q16: Will any of the 335is parts such as the black-tipped exhaust be sold for the 335i?

Eric: We don't have any plans to bring these parts to the 335i

Q17: Do you know anything about the M1 you could shed light on?

Eric: Honestly, I don't know anything about it's status currently. I have talked to several folks within the company but have not uncovered any answers.

Q18: Any idea if the new HPFP will solve the HPFP failure issue?

Eric: I haven't been following the issues in great detail due to it being outside of my focus area. I did read a service bulletin for long cranks that stated a new software update was released: ISTA-P 2.37. For more mechanical issues, a new pump was in development, but I am not sure of the status currently.

Q19: Does BMW Performance have any products in the pipeline for 2010+?

Eric: Yes! We are unveiling a new product lineup for the X6. The lineup includes a 21" wheel set, an aerodynamic kit, exhaust, power kit for the N63 and N54 engines, and a new full alcantara steering wheel.

Q20: Are there any products you are specifically proud of?

Eric: I really like the steering wheels that we have. The full alcantara wheel with the yellow stripe is a great wheel. The electronic wheel is another great wheel that has shift lights and measures 1/4 mile times, longitudinal and lateral G-force measurement, and shows oil/water temperature. It truly is a unique product offering.

Thank you Eric Riehle, BMW NA, and Bimmerpost for this opportunity!

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T3eADuTFmyk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T3eADuTFmyk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

(I am not playing with my phone, I am timing each video segment because of my SLR's video limitation! And ignore my hair, it refuses to cooperate. )

Last edited by vgame64; 03-23-2010 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
vitologarcia
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Alpine White M-Sport

Will a black tip Perfromance exhaust ever be sold, like the one on the 335is?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
1) Will there be a full catback exhaust system?
2) Will there be an E92 Performance Body Kit?
3) Any collaboration w/ other tuners?
      03-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
TT3 iN NyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CS

BMW Performance Suspension that lowers the car a bit more. Also maybe they can have KW/Bilstein/HR/ etc etc, make a coilover system with the BMW logo on it.

Full Catback exhaust isn't bad either.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
DJKhan85
Major
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2011 4dr 6mt Golf GTI

Make every question LSD related so they get the point that there is a market out there for one.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Will there be a BMW Performance intake for the 335i?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
Qwik E90
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

Angry

Will they ever create a different Performance OEM SSK for there xi models?

Just received my 2010 328xi with the OEM SSK installed. The shift is just about as high as the original. BMW Tech says it is because the tranny is installed higher due to the AWD of the xi so the SSK installs higher.

Having a short stick is the reason I paid for this upgrade. They're working to fix this now.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

+ 1 on the intake question (for 335). They can't claim it "doesn't help and the stock one is fine" when we've all seen the dyno numbers. Perhaps bone stock it doesn't help much, but they are smoking something if they think a car with the BMW Performance Tune/Package will not gain HP with an intake.

MANY people, like me, would likely jump at a (somewhat) reasonably priced, factory warranty intake that doesn't have to be yanked before dealer visits, etc. Exactly the reason why I, and plenty of others, paid the premium for the BMW Perf Exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #9
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWIKE90 View Post
Will they ever create a different Performance OEM SSK for there xi models?

Just received my 2010 328xi with the OEM SSK installed. The shift is just about as high as the original. BMW Tech says it is because the tranny is installed higher due to the AWD of the xi so the SSK installs higher.

Having a short stick is the reason I paid for this upgrade. They're working to fix this now.
Don't want to take this OT, but the SSK/lever has much more to do with the throw length than the stalk length. Despite it not being "short looking" the throw should be a good bit shorter than stock. Also, just throw an M knowb (or similar) on there and it will lower it another inch or so.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT3 iN NyC View Post
BMW Performance Suspension that lowers the car a bit more. Also maybe they can have KW/Bilstein/HR/ etc etc, make a coilover system with the BMW logo on it.

Full Catback exhaust isn't bad either.

+1
      03-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep

BMW Performance brakes?
Mods: (All OEM) | BMW Performance CF Splitters | BMW Blackline Taillights | BMW Rear Deck Spoiler | BMW Performance Auto Shift Knob and Alcantara Boot | BMW Black Dakota Leather Split Folding Armrest | BMW Euro Fog Light Switch | BMW Style 193M Wheels | BMW Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills | BMW Front Clear Bra | BMW Performance Steering Wheel (non-elec)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #12
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Why cant the cars be ordered from the factory with the Performance parts rather than customers having to pay twice ie: They already have the wheels that came with the car but if they want the Performance wheels then they will have paid for 2 sets from BMW. Same with steering wheel, bumpers, suspension etc.

Let us order it from the factory!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #13
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
Why cant the cars be ordered from the factory with the Performance parts rather than customers having to pay twice ie: They already have the wheels that came with the car but if they want the Performance wheels then they will have paid for 2 sets from BMW. Same with steering wheel, bumpers, suspension etc.

Let us order it from the factory!
Hmm...that makes a lot of sense...
Mods: (All OEM) | BMW Performance CF Splitters | BMW Blackline Taillights | BMW Rear Deck Spoiler | BMW Performance Auto Shift Knob and Alcantara Boot | BMW Black Dakota Leather Split Folding Armrest | BMW Euro Fog Light Switch | BMW Style 193M Wheels | BMW Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills | BMW Front Clear Bra | BMW Performance Steering Wheel (non-elec)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #14
serg1282
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: through

I'm down the road from their headquarters, take me with you.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #15
bspaceman
The Last Beautiful Free Soul On This Planet
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i coupe

I'd like to hear as to why wouldn't BMW compete in both pricing and performance with their BMW Performance upgrades, given the successes of so many aftermarket tuners. It seems to me that BMW would move more units if pricing and performance was in balance with its competitors. Does BMW realize that the people bolting this stuff on their cars are more interested in performance and less interested in warranty?

BMW has a unique opportunity in the tuning marketing. We drive the ultimate driving machines. Surely, we want the ultimate performance out of them.

I'm also curious as to when we will see a performance intake for the 335. As others have posted, the dynos don't lie.

Jet Black/Black Leather 335i coupe (totaled courtesy of the pizza kid
Sport/Premi/Comft/Nav - iDrive/Sirius/iPod/OEM Body kit, M Sideskirts, M deck lip, Miro 366s on Nitto 555 NTs, Matte Black Grills, Valentine 1 hardwire, 35% tint, BMS Lighting, BMS computer magic, BMS Dual Cone
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #16
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

when will Xi models be getting a performance suspension?

if they knew how many people on here spent their money on KWs they'd freak.
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #17
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Can you make your performance products cheaper or at least a better value? The prices are outrageous.

(Sorry, I had to ask)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #18
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Everybody already said what I wanted but heres my list. Seems like we all are thinking just about the same.

- cheaper prices so we go to bmw performance instead of aftermarket
- wheres the performance intake, brakes, suspension, full exhaust
- xi stuff
- functional, not cosmetic upgrades

Right now the bmw performance cosmetics are basically rice. They dont have any bmw performance cosmetics that actually enhance the performance of the car. Both the exterior and interior upgrades are basically just expensive visually upgrades and do not increase the performance or handling or drivability. BMW performance should make only functional performance accessories.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #19
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
How about just a more expanded range of BMW Performance options for those of us who drive xDrive models...the RWD guys get all the fun!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #20
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

#1, performance parts need better pricing compared to the aftermarket!!! 35% less!

#2, BMW Performance Power Kit II ? Will/when they offer an over boost feature like on the Z4 and 335is? AND... what are the "real Hp" numbers for these kits? Surely its more than 20 Hp! M3 owners be dammed.

#3 Limited slip diff kit - WHEN? WHEN!!!!

#4 cold air intake kit.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #21
Purple All Sectors
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Are they working on something that will help the N54 run cooler? Larger oil cooler or running an additional cooler? Bigger radiator?

LTBMW, BBS LM, (SSR Comp Type C track), HKS Exhaust, KW V2, BMW Perf Bumper, BMW Perf Steering Wheel, BMW Perf CF Trunk Spoiler 2, M-tech Side Skirt, M-tech Rear Bumper, AFE Drop-in Filter, ETS FMIC, Lux H8, Euro Lens, ER Comp Oil Cooler
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #22
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

OP, I have created an online petition so that anyone can sign it showing the interest for the 335i LSD and maybe our argument will be more convincing this way...

Here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6832822

Thanks !
Appreciate 0