E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Brand new E92 - 335i diff breakdown?

05-11-2010, 04:44 AM   #1
snahsiub
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - E92 2011

Angry Brand new E92 - 335i diff breakdown?

Hi,

I'm new here, but ofc read a lot of topics and seen a lot of pics..

However, after months of waiting for my all new BMW 335i E92 (Spacegrau) I finally could pick it up last week. The Joy! Black leather seats, the new Harman Kardon speakers, sunroof, LED lights, iPhone connector etc etc. When the revealed it in the showroom I was all grinning, smiling and feeling... like a kid

After starting the car, hearing the sweet and all new N55 engine.. I drove off. Gently, it had only 3km on the clock. Going towards my family and showing it off, we went for some little rounds on the road. All good.

Then after picking up another family member and only 40km on the clock, I heard a really weird "Skiirrrreeiiikk" noise coming from the back, and like I was loosing power on my rear. Lowering gas and driving at 40km/h made the sound go away. But after stopping before a corner and trying to accelerate, the aweful, aweful sound came back.

I stopped, trying reverse and forth again, but again the SKRIEKKKK (CLUNK! BANG!) noise

Called BMW service and the car was towed away. The next day the dealer said it was my rear differential. They had to order it and it would arrive today (4 days later). Today I called when I could pick it up, but suddenly it seemed the differential is nowhere to be found, is in backorder and needs to be build. I have to wait another week ...

What I like to know, or there any other people with this problem with a new car? The dealer says they have never heard of it with a new car.

I didn't go over 4k RPM and handled it like a baby.

Also, any thoughts of what it can be and if it is really only the diff? It seems like there is more, a dealer must know for sure if a diff is in stock or not...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by snahsiub; 05-11-2010 at 05:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Defect at assembly. Your the first I've ever heard about in at least the past 6 yrs.

I remember assemblying diffs for 18-wheelers while in college. Sometimes they just get put together wrong, but to be honest I would have throught it would have been found out at the factory when it was tested.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
snahsiub
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - E92 2011

Hi,

Delighted to mention; just came home after a 100km drive with my all-fixed 335i

The dealer pulled strength and got a differential for me, they replaced it and I had a perfect ride this night.

Go BMW!

Hans
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Congrats on the quick repair!
Appreciate 0