E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JB4.....One step closer to autotuning

01-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
rmdvrs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

JB4.....One step closer to autotuning

First I want to start out by saying that this is a review of the JB4 and in no way has any reference or comparison to any other tune. So if you are a fanboy of any other tune keep your opinions to yourself. I'm not trying to compare tuners against each other or start a tuner war.

That being said I have been running the JB4 for about 4-5 months now and this latest update is definitely worth a review. Not that the previous firmware versions weren't good. I have used every version of the JB since the JB3 first came out so I definitely know how it has come along. The JB3 was great but the JB4 is really turning out to be something excellent.

The biggest difference between the JB3 and the JB4 (other than the CAN integration and steering wheel controls) wasn't the power it made because the JB3 made as much. It's the consistency. The JB4 does all the great things that the JB3 does except it does it consistently regardless of outside variables. That is until I uploaded the latest firmware.

When Terry sent me the firmware I was hoping autotuning was ready. While the latest firmware isn't a full or final autotuning version, it does autotune a few variables. I will admit that I was a little disappointed because I was looking forward to the autotuning to be active but all that went away the second I drove the car.

The JB4 has now surpassed the JB3 by a mile. I did a few runs and logged them and all I can say is that my car pulled like a beast. The car pulled so hard it felt like the front end was coming up. I lost traction going from second to third and my car is completely stock other than the JB and a BMS drop in filter. The car feels rock solid, takes off like a bat out of hell, has plenty of power throughout each gear and does it all each and every time, consistently and smoothly. In the last few years that I have known Terry he has always said my logs looked good until last night when he said and I quote "looks fast". You guys are really gona like the latest firmware once it's ready for public testing and if this is any sign of things to come then I can't imagine what the final autotuning version will do to my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
335fourdoor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

sounds delicious.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
Willizm
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335Xi and 01 Trans Am WS6

Nice write up. I have the cobb ap and will be trying that out to see how it is. I'm not getting rid of my JB3 and reading reviews like this make me want to pay the $85 to upgrade to a JB4 and try them both out. Kudo's to BMS for being a gamer and staying competitive in this market. All of this competition is to benefit the end user so hopefully the fanboys will keep their opinions to themselves.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
ModBargainsTech
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335i/E90 335i/ E82 135i/

good read! JB4 is getting great reviews everywhere.

Willizm: Let me know if you want to do the JB4 ugprade pretty soon.

-Frank
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdvrs View Post
First I want to start out by saying that this is a review of the JB4 and in no way has any reference or comparison to any other tune. So if you are a fanboy of any other tune keep your opinions to yourself. I'm not trying to compare tuners against each other or start a tuner war.

That being said I have been running the JB4 for about 4-5 months now and this latest update is definitely worth a review. Not that the previous firmware versions weren't good. I have used every version of the JB since the JB3 first came out so I definitely know how it has come along. The JB3 was great but the JB4 is really turning out to be something excellent.

The biggest difference between the JB3 and the JB4 (other than the CAN integration and steering wheel controls) wasn't the power it made because the JB3 made as much. It's the consistency. The JB4 does all the great things that the JB3 does except it does it consistently regardless of outside variables. That is until I uploaded the latest firmware.

When Terry sent me the firmware I was hoping autotuning was ready. While the latest firmware isn't a full or final autotuning version, it does autotune a few variables. I will admit that I was a little disappointed because I was looking forward to the autotuning to be active but all that went away the second I drove the car.

The JB4 has now surpassed the JB3 by a mile. I did a few runs and logged them and all I can say is that my car pulled like a beast. The car pulled so hard it felt like the front end was coming up. I lost traction going from second to third and my car is completely stock other than the JB and a BMS drop in filter. The car feels rock solid, takes off like a bat out of hell, has plenty of power throughout each gear and does it all each and every time, consistently and smoothly. In the last few years that I have known Terry he has always said my logs looked good until last night when he said and I quote "looks fast". You guys are really gona like the latest firmware once it's ready for public testing and if this is any sign of things to come then I can't imagine what the final autotuning version will do to my car.
Thanks for the review, and it looks like you've been testing out the JB4 for a while like me Keep us updated on your impressions.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Proper Motion LLC
Custom Powder Coater
Rep
Drives: White 335i Sedan

U got a special firmware from Terry?
      01-25-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
rmdvrs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Thanks for the review, and it looks like you've been testing out the JB4 for a while like me Keep us updated on your impressions.

Mike
Yeah it was really hard not saying anything for this whole time till I got the ok. I have been loving it since day one but wow last night the car really impressed me. I'm sure you have this firmware too so let me know what you think.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
rmdvrs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysandro View Post
U got a special firmware from Terry?
No, not special. I'm an alpha tester so I get regular firmware updates to test and based on my logs and a few other people stuff either makes it into the beta and final release versions or gets adjusted accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
e92sport
Captain
Rep
Drives: black e92 sport

So what's the big difference between a jb4 and procede v5???

Procede will autotune but how does the jb4 give you a correct a/f reading if your using the same tune for every car. Some cars are 10 degree weather and others are in 95 degree weather...
      01-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
Proper Motion LLC
Custom Powder Coater
Rep

Quote:
No, not special. I'm an alpha tester so I get regular firmware updates to test and based on my logs and a few other people stuff either makes it into the beta and final release versions or gets adjusted accordingly.
Ive had JB4 for 2 months, i just didnt get that firmware sent to me
      01-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #11
rmdvrs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92sport View Post

Procede will autotune but how does the jb4 give you a correct a/f reading if your using the same tune for every car. Some cars are 10 degree weather and others are in 95 degree weather...
Dude did you read my post. I said I am not comparing tunes.

I will leave that answer to Mike or if you really want to know go to n54tech and get it straight from the source.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 05:07 PM   #12
rmdvrs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ive had JB4 for 2 months, i just didnt get that firmware sent to me
That's cause I'm special , just kidding. Try emailing Terry and see if he is ok with sending it to you. I have always been one of the first few people who tests stuff for him so if you are one of his testers don't worry I am sure it will trickle down to you soon. If not then hang tight, Terry has always been a firm believer of not releasing anything till he is 100% satisfied with it and is sure it is safe.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #13
ModBargainsTech
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335i/E90 335i/ E82 135i/

^ +1
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #14
Proper Motion LLC
Custom Powder Coater
Rep

Quote:
That's cause I'm special , just kidding. Try emailing Terry and see if he is ok with sending it to you. I have always been one of the first few people who tests stuff for him so if you are one of his testers don't worry I am sure it will trickle down to you soon. If not then hang tight, Terry has always been a firm believer of not releasing anything till he is 100% satisfied with it and is sure it is safe.
Already talked to him. He said he's having the little leaguers work out the kinks for the big power leaguers
      01-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #15
prelude2perfect
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 and 2015 535i

Quote:
Already talked to him. He said he's having the little leaguers work out the kinks for the big power leaguers
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #16
Jred22
Meat Puppet
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 Competition

Garage List
Is autotuning exactly what it sounds like? Is it like a map you select and it 'autotunes' to the best settings for your car? Can it detect new mods to your car? Can someone chime in with more detail?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #17
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jred22 View Post
Is autotuning exactly what it sounds like? Is it like a map you select and it 'autotunes' to the best settings for your car? Can it detect new mods to your car? Can someone chime in with more detail?
Sorta Won't let the cat out of the bag yet....

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #18
htt760
PROcede it and Call it a DAY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT, 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92sport View Post

I would also like to know about this, how does the Jb4 differ from the Procedes autotune and does the JB4 offer these autotuning features for cars in really COLD whether....
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #19
Jred22
Meat Puppet
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Sorta Won't let the cat out of the bag yet....

Mike
Fine. But then you have to tell me when my JB4 will ship.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #20
Shellacked135i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 09 335xi

Ok so if Jb4 doesnt control ignition, and its going to feature an autotune; one can deduce that since the car will want to run stock like timing, that due to excessive knock the car will A) pull timing and or B) pull down boost (via autotune), so wouldnt the car theoretically just autotune down to 8 PSI?

I dont get the purpose of autotune if there is nothing to tweak except lower boost since there is no control of ignition.

Someone please enlighten me.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #21
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellacked135i View Post
Ok so if Jb4 doesnt control ignition, and its going to feature an autotune; one can deduce that since the car will want to run stock like timing, that due to excessive knock the car will A) pull timing and or B) pull down boost (via autotune), so wouldnt the car theoretically just autotune down to 8 PSI?

I dont get the purpose of autotune if there is nothing to tweak except lower boost since there is no control of ignition.

Someone please enlighten me.
The objective with autotuning is to find the right balance of boost, AFR, and advance to optimize power and safety. Advance is reduced proportionally to boost through the DME's trims. The DME autotunes advance from the factory and does it quite well. Better than any piggyback ever will. The concept of autotuning in general is simply a closed loop system responding based on feedback. Those of you who believe there can be autotuning without knock feedback are simply disillusioned. Add some race gas to your OEM tuning and watch advance increase. Does that mean the car was knocking like crazy all along on pump gas with the factory tuning? No. It means the DME advanced timing a small amount, noticed no additional knock feedback, and continued the march upwards.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #22
Hisam135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jred22 View Post
Fine. But then you have to tell me when my JB4 will ship.
ahahha +1
Appreciate 0