E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > m3 brakes on 335i

03-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
JAXT88
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 Yukon

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
m3 brakes on 335i

Can you put the m3 brakes on the 335i? Has anyone done this?

Sold -- 2007 SG 335i Coupe -- DINAN Stage 2 ECU flash I AR Design Catless Downpipes I BMS Downpipe fix I Helix Intercooler I Milltek full exhaust I Stett Charge Pipe I Forge Diverter Valves I BSH Competition Oil Catch Can I BMS Dual Cone intake
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
sdstatestud88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MW F80

Scroll down to bottom...You need a custom bracket

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487328
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #3
Nismo G
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

Bringing this back from the dead. Been doing some searching and really haven't found a whole lot of insight since it was in question 3+ years ago.

Anyone seen it done? Seems like the master cylinder for the M3 is a different part and could cause some issues. People also mentioned the brake bias is different...i cant imagine it being THAT different, but then again I am not an engineer.

Just seems like a reasonable option for an upgrade, if it works, since you can get rotors and calipers used for about $500-600.
      09-20-2015, 08:06 PM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Above is almost all incorrect.
Bracket will not help since the carriers are laterally mounted.
It has been done before and the carriers needs to be re-drilled in order to be mounted on non M uprights.
M3 rotors are slightly bigger, they are drilled and semi floating two piece rotors.
Probably that is the only significant upgrade, but the downside is that M3 rotors are awfully expensive.
The calipers to my expectation would identical as M3 and 335i have interchangeable brake pads.
The master cylinder is direct swap and will only alter brake feel and brake pressure since is bigger capacity.
Bias change if existant, I haven't felt it, must be insignificant.
If the M3 bias is different that could have been achieved with rotor sizes.
M3 has a bigger rear rotor as well.

e9x M3 are not worth installing on non M e9x
Not for $500/600 used, not even if you get them for free.
To much customization for very little gains.
Spend your money on good rotors, pads, quility brake fluid and stainless steel lines.
With that set up you will embarrass stock m3 brakes.
Additionally, the calipers visually are the same so is not like you will win in the looks department either.
If you want better looks and performance look into used stock f30 335i setup.
The fronts are 4 piston calipers, the rotors are two piece and they are direct bolt on.

Last edited by feuer; 09-20-2015 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 4
      09-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #5
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

What if you just swapped the knuckle? I know expensive, but after all the custom work, might price out to be the same.

I agree though, it's a waste of time and effort for the benefits you would potentially gain.

Also keep in mind, larger is not always better. It's just extra dead weight, especially if you are not out performing your current brake setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #6
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
What if you just swapped the knuckle? I know expensive, but after all the custom work, might price out to be the same.
Why are you people so insistent on making a square peg fit in a round hole?

If it's PERFORMANCE you're after, there are far cheaper and easier ways to achieve better brake performance without having to spend the time, money, and tinkering to get something that wasn't designed for your car to fit. Especially for a CRITICAL safety system.

if it's looks you're after, you can easily bolt on other solutions that will make your brake look as good, if not better than the M3 system.

if it's poserocity you're after, because everything M is supposed to be better than your run of the mill 335i, then perhaps you should have bought an M to start with.

Yes technically you can enlarge that round hole, or shave off that square peg to get it to fit. But why do so when there's a perfectly square hole next to it that the square peg fits in?
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 07:19 PM   #7
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

E9x M3 brakes is not an upgrade to the stock 335i brakes... Neither performance nor look wise since it is a similar ugly sliding caliper design using the same pad shape. If you just want some "cool looking" drilled rotors that M3 came with, you get just get some drilled rotors that are designed for this car (ECS, Zimmerman, Stoptech all make them).

You will be wasting your time...
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2015, 05:11 PM   #8
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Get the M-Performance upgrade.
Comes in yellow/gold, red and orange.
If you put the kit together yourself it also comes in blue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Series-BMW...16ab0e&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-OEM-NEW-...1df91d&vxp=mtr

If you want a BBK for an E90, this is really the best option.
Couple of ways to get the rear caliper to fit. The front is a bolt on.
Cheaper than a M3 conversion would be.

You will need a M3 master cylinder.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #9
johny
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

can you put rear stock m3 rotors on stock rear 335i calipers ?
obvs you have to change pads also ...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #10
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny View Post
can you put rear stock m3 rotors on stock rear 335i calipers ?
obvs you have to change pads also ...
no... and why? if you want drilled rotors, there are plenty to choose from. really don't get some of the people here...
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2015, 01:53 PM   #11
johny
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Because i want ventilated ones .. Instead of the solid plate ones that come stock with our car .. Im not a big fan of drilled tho .. Lol why do u care ?
Let everyone have there own taste ..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #12
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Because i want ventilated ones .. Instead of the solid plate ones that come stock with our car .. Im not a big fan of drilled tho .. Lol why do u care ?
335i comes with front and rear ventilated rotors.
Obviously you have little to no knowledge about these brakes.
Perhaps is the same for all brakes in general.
So, to answer your question, yes, you can put rear m3 rotor on stock rear 335i caliper.
However, that will have to be on the floor in your living room and serve as decoration only.
Appreciate 1
iamjamen131.50
      09-24-2015, 03:05 PM   #13
johny
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thank you for answering the question !
I actually have alote of knowledge about this car .. Ive done many things myself and ive had one for a pretty long time and sorry to break it to you but the rear rotors are not ventilated ..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 03:11 PM   #14
johny
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer
Quote:
335i comes with front and rear ventilated rotors.
Obviously you have little to no knowledge about these brakes.
Perhaps is the same for all brakes in general.
So, to answer your question, yes, you can put rear m3 rotor on stock rear 335i caliper.
However, that will have to be on the floor in your living room and serve as decoration only.
Left front rotors - Right rear rotors

Im sorry but i think you are the one that has little to no knowledge about these cars ....
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-24-2015, 03:23 PM   #15
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Im sorry but i think you are the one that has little to no knowledge about these cars ....
You sir are a stubborn moron...

Have a look at your own car (assuming it is a 335i) and see if the rear is ventilated or not. I just replaced my rotors myself last month and I can assure you they are all ventilated... At least on the stock setup.

Maybe the previous owner of your car cheaped out and fitted some crappy solid rotors on the back??? That's the only explanation I have.

Last edited by Cloud9blue; 09-24-2015 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 03:28 PM   #16
johny
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue
Quote:

You sir are a stubborn moron...

Have a look at your own car and see if the rear is ventilated or not. I just replaced my rotors myself last month and I can assure you they are all ventilated...
Why do you need to call someone a moron .. ? Isn't this a car forum where we can share ideas and have better knowledge about our cars ?
In the picture you can CLEARLY see the the rear rotors are not ventilated .. Its ok to make a mistake .. Go look at you're brakes again ..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 03:32 PM   #17
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why do you need to call someone a moron .. ? Isn't this a car forum where we can share ideas and have better knowledge about our cars ?
In the picture you can CLEARLY see the the rear rotors are not ventilated .. Its ok to make a mistake .. Go look at you're brakes again ..
So you trust a random picture on the internet instead of someone who actually took off the rear rotors on these cars.

Well, if you aren't a moron then what are you then...

Just have a look at your own car if you got eyes.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2015, 03:36 PM   #18
johny
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue
Quote:
So you prefer a picture on the internet instead of someone who actually took off the rear rotors on these cars.

Well, if you aren't a moron then what are you then...

Just have a look at your own car if you got eyes.
Lol ive seen my rear rotors and im 100% sure there are not ventilated but after what you said i had a doubt so i checked again online just to make sure and the actual STOCK replacement ROTORS for the rear from turner clearly show that the rear ones are not ventilated ... What more do u want ?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 03:45 PM   #19
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-33...g/Rotors/Rear/

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=34_1478

edit: these are for 335xi but I checked and same parts for 335i and 328i for that matter. All rears are vented. Furthermore if you scroll down on Turner's site all rear replacement rotors are vented:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-26...335i335xi.aspx

I think the pic they have up for the kit that you posted is generic and not specific to e9x.

Last edited by ajsalida; 09-24-2015 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2015, 03:51 PM   #20
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol ive seen my rear rotors and im 100% sure there are not ventilated but after what you said i had a doubt so i checked again online just to make sure and the actual STOCK replacement ROTORS for the rear from turner clearly show that the rear ones are not ventilated ... What more do u want ?
maybe just stop being an idiot?

i don't know what else to tell you, but you have several people who actually track and work on these cars themselves telling you are wrong and yet you still rather trust some random picture... even the 328i have ventilated rear rotors...
Turner is pretty bad with their product pictures just FYI...

anyway, dont need to get into a piss fight with me, just have a look at your car again...
Appreciate 2
      09-24-2015, 03:56 PM   #21
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
maybe just stop being an idiot?

i don't know what else to tell you, but you have several people who actually track and work on these cars themselves telling you are wrong and yet you still rather trust some random picture... even the 328i have ventilated rear rotors...
Turner is pretty bad with their product pictures just FYI...

anyway, dont need to get into a piss fight with me, just have a look at your car again...
I think someone needs to open the hood and see whats under it. That 335i badge is awfully suspicious now if you really have solid rear rotors. They come on 4cyl e90 series.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 04:00 PM   #22
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
I think someone needs to open the hood and see whats under it. That 335i badge is awfully suspicious now if you really have solid rear rotors. They come on 4cyl e90 series.
don't think they sell e9x 320i or 320d in US or Canadian market... anyway, i love how wrong someone's "memory" can be when they are convinced they are right... just like my gf :P
Appreciate 0