E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Need some Advice Please on USB ect

05-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
Pacman52
Rep
Drives: 3 Series Touring

Need some Advice Please on USB ect

Hi Guys

I am hopefully taken delivery of my new car later next week one of the many options I have gone for is the usb connector. Can someone please tell me if there is a specific type of usb stick I should use and are there any restricions on the size the stick can it be i.e 4 gig 8 gig ect...

Also does anyone know the size of the onboard hardrive which Im assumming I will get as well as I have gone for nearly all the top sound / audio options.

many thanks for any advice you can offer

Paul
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

You probably already found the answers elsewhere, but the hard drive stores about 11GB and I seem to be able to use just about any USB memory stick I have lying around. Biggest one I tried is 16GB, although I didn't get it full since I only used AAC coding and not a lossless one for the music I put on it.
(I found that apple lossless doesn't seem to work, but WAV does (sadly no song/id3 info in a WAV file), and I haven't had a chance to try WMA lossless...need to transcode all my apple lossless over to WMA to do that)

I have heard that if you copy music to the hard drive it dumbs it down to maybe 128kb/s compression, but I don't know if that's true for things copied from USB or only for CD's you rip... forgot to look at the free space before I turned the car in.