E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Need HPDE help

05-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
328iCoupe
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Coupe MT

Need HPDE help

I just joined the BMW CCA and as luck would have it, there's an HPDE event at Lime Rock in August that I'd like to go to. Although I attended the 2-day Drivers Program in Greer, SC last month, I have the feeling that the HPDE event will be completely different. There are a few things I'm concerned with:

1. I don't have a racing helmet and don't see the sense in spending a few hundred dollars on one at this time. I found 2 online for about $150 (open face) that fit the requirements for the event. Since I plan to register in the Novice Class and don't anticipate having my car roll over, do you think the cheaper helmets will suffice?

2. What can I expect to pay for the Pre-Event Safety Inspection, including the brake fluid flush? Should I have the inspection/flush done at my dealer or at a competent indy station? Are we talking hundreds of dollars?

Any comments here would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jeff
_________
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

1) How much is your head worth?

First, check with your chapter and see if they provide rental helmets. If they do, bring a head-sock (balaclava) and use their helmet for this coming event. You may not like it enough to "invest" in a decent helmet.

But if you DO love it, and want to do anywhere from 3 or more events a year, then you'll want to at least invest in a helmet that fits nicely that's relatively light. Because, again, you'll be surprised at how much stress 3-5 lbs weight places on your head and neck.

And get yourself test fitted in various helmets first. Expensive helmets doesn't always fit expensive heads, although they typically have more comfortable fittings. It'd suck if you pay $700-$1,000 for a helmet that doesn't fit well.

2) Typical inspection involves anywhere from 15-30 minutes time. So figure typical labor rates, they should vary from $30-$45 from independent mechanics or $50-$100 from dealerships. Again, if you wish to continue in this "sport," I'd highly recommend you become familiar with your vehicle and its various maintenance items so you can do the inspection yourself. Although, form what I understand, BMW CCA national policies require that the inspection be completed by a qualified mechanic rather than self inspected.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

I believe you can rent a helmet for a nominal fee. But if you plan on attending more HPDE in the future, i say you invest in a good helmet. How much is your head worth to you?
      05-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 17 OG M2

rent the helmet first if possible. Often the local dealership will sponsor the event and run a special on inspect/flush for around $100-$125. Have fun!
      05-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

If you're a member of BMW CCA, you should get a discount on the inspection. I actually had mine done at the dealership and it cost me a bottle of the tech's favorite drink. (I have a good relationship with the SA.)

HPDE's are a lot of fun and VERY addictive. I'm guessing you're going to love it and should spend just enough cash to get a decent helmet. I have a full face, but it really isn't necessary. Whether you rent or buy your own helmet, I'd recommend a balaclava (like the Hack said) as they're great for keeping sweat out of your helmet AND it makes putting it on and taking it off much easier.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
How recent does the brake inspection need to be? I've had my brake system flushed in January and I am looking forward at attending my first autox event in June
      05-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
How recent does the brake inspection need to be? I've had my brake system flushed in January and I am looking forward at attending my first autox event in June
Most people will tell you it's a good idea to flush it if more than a month old. Truthfully, I went 3 months and it was fine. I checked the fluid and it still looked very clean (and full). Bring an extra bottle of fluid with you if you don't flush it.

One thing you can do if you do have it flushed; mark where it is at the highest level in your resevoir and check after each run. You can get a decent (not perfect) idea as to how well your pads are holding up.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
328iCoupe
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Coupe MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
If you're a member of BMW CCA, you should get a discount on the inspection. I actually had mine done at the dealership and it cost me a bottle of the tech's favorite drink. (I have a good relationship with the SA.)

HPDE's are a lot of fun and VERY addictive. I'm guessing you're going to love it and should spend just enough cash to get a decent helmet. I have a full face, but it really isn't necessary. Whether you rent or buy your own helmet, I'd recommend a balaclava (like the Hack said) as they're great for keeping sweat out of your helmet AND it makes putting it on and taking it off much easier.
Hey, thanks for the recommendation.
Jeff
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

There's an old saying that if you have a $50 head, then get a $50 helmet. I actually use a BELL Sport Mag 4 SA05 Open Face helmet and it's been fine for HPDEs. I like it because it's lighter and cooler than most full-face helmets. I guess that also means I value my head at about $150...
      05-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorowitz128 View Post

1. I don't have a racing helmet and don't see the sense in spending a few hundred dollars on one at this time. I found 2 online for about $150 (open face) that fit the requirements for the event. Since I plan to register in the Novice Class and don't anticipate having my car roll over, do you think the cheaper helmets will suffice?

Any comments here would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jeff
_________
Don't do that.

Let me throw in some local help. You're about to try your first HPDE which means you'll get hooked into this fun sport after the 1st event. You're in NY so you have 4 tracks within a 3-hr driving radius (LimeRock in CT, Pocono in CA, Thunderbolt & Lightning in NJ). I'm excluding Monticello in NY as it went 100% private, at least for 2011.

As of 2011, NJ law requires full face helmets on all track events, which affects your plans 2 ways:

1. Most club loaner helmets are open-face, which means that most clubs have no or very few loaner helmets for the NJ tracks. Reach out to the registrar of your event to confirm a loaner helmet is available for your event.

2. If you get hooked in HPDEs, and trust me you will, you'll need to buy a full-face helmet so you don't shoot yourself in the foot by not being able to run on 50% of the local area tracks.

Hope this helps

PS. And I don't mean to scare you by any means but LRP is the only local track where one can easily roll over. As your instructor will tell you many many times, after no-name straight, you'll take the right hander and no matter if you're going straight or still turning you'll take the uphill with your wheel 100% straight. Not 99%, 100% straight so when you land after you go airborn (It's a 6-story rise in less than 2 seconds) you won't spin or go flying over the flag station to your left. You'll understand after your first event.

Last edited by mid-corner fun; 05-27-2011 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 0