E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HELP Unplugged cables Under Seat Now error?

07-03-2011, 02:26 AM   #1
roylo
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d sedan white 2010

HELP Unplugged cables Under Seat Now error?

I unplugged the cable under the drivers for the seat belt, then plugged everything back how it was and now Im getting an error with the restaint and airbag warning.

Does something need to be reset or something somewhere? What do I do now
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 06:14 AM   #2
6cylinder
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92

Garage List
You can not just unplug the cabels under your seats for disabling the seat belt reminder! It needs to be coded. For that issue please visit the coding area: http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=368

If you do not have diagnostic tools visit your next BMW dealer for deleting the error message from the memory. It takes about 2 minutes for him.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
roylo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6cylinder View Post
You can not just unplug the cabels under your seats for disabling the seat belt reminder! It needs to be coded. For that issue please visit the coding area: http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=368

If you do not have diagnostic tools visit your next BMW dealer for deleting the error message from the memory. It takes about 2 minutes for him.
Is this the only way to remove the error message? I dont have diagnostic tools and Id rather not go to BMW for this. Will a Battery reset work?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

You Must Disconnect The Battery Before You Unplug The Seats.
You Must Re-connect The Battery only After You Plug The Seats Back In.
Or else you will get an air bag code/light. Standard code resetting tool will not reset this.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
6cylinder
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
But is the airbag still working when the cable is unplugged?

I assume there is no way for you unless to contact a dealer for deleting that error. But i am sure he will do this for free.

Let you disabling the seat belt reminder via coding. That is the best way.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

You have to get a scanner capable of reseting errror

Or go to and Independent BMW shop or Dealer that has one.

Such as this

http://www.bavariantechnic.com/download.aspx
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6cylinder View Post
But is the airbag still working when the cable is unplugged?

I assume there is no way for you unless to contact a dealer for deleting that error. But i am sure he will do this for free.

Let you disabling the seat belt reminder via coding. That is the best way.
Why should the dealer clear the code for free? The OP broke it because he didn't know what he was doing and the dealer will most likely charge one hour labor.

Since all modern airbag systems are required to determine if the occupant is belted in, logic would tell you that unplugging the seatbelt sensor would cause an airbag malfunction.

This error needs to be cleared either by a dealer or using a BMW specific diagnostics tool. Disconnecting the battery now won't help.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
6cylinder
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
I mean the dealer is deleting the airbag error for free but he is NOT disabling the seat belt reminder. Besides that he is not allowed to do that by the official way.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
Jns2001
Second Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

I would doubt it that they will disable the seat belt reminder. If they do, they will have a liability.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #10
JohnSprm69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW e92

same thing happened to me, messing around with my interior i unplugged the cables under the seat and it threw the code, got an appointment for thursday for the dealer to """"diagnose""""" why the car is throwing the error.

car is under warranty
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

You have to reset the system.
I have the tool. I can't rent it.
      07-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #12
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsprm69 View Post
same thing happened to me, messing around with my interior i unplugged the cables under the seat and it threw the code, got an appointment for thursday for the dealer to """"diagnose""""" why the car is throwing the error.

car is under warranty
This is exactly why dealers refuse warranty service of "questionable" repairs.

You are guilty of warranty fraud (if they fall for it) and attempted fraud (if they don't) but in either case your stupid for boasting about it here.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #13
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

Lol I meant to say I WILL RENT IT for you if you need it.
      07-04-2011, 05:06 AM   #14
roylo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
Why should the dealer clear the code for free? The OP broke it because he didn't know what he was doing and the dealer will most likely charge one hour labor.

Since all modern airbag systems are required to determine if the occupant is belted in, logic would tell you that unplugging the seatbelt sensor would cause an airbag malfunction.

This error needs to be cleared either by a dealer or using a BMW specific diagnostics tool. Disconnecting the battery now won't help.
I didnt technically break anything. I disconnected an electrical plug and then put it back how it was. There is no warning on it to say do not remove! If I knew it would cause an error I wouldnt have unplugged it. Also, I never said I was unplugging it try and remove the seatbelt sensor this was just assumed here.

Its not a big deal anyway, Ill get it corrected one way or another.. Thanks for the replies.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 06:34 AM   #15
zaheer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

When I swapped my seats over, I didnt disconnect the battery, I just unplugged the seat harness and made sure I did not press any buttons in the car or the key fob until I reconnected the new seats. This was error free.

you must have had had the ignition on or something was touched.

hope you get it sorted
      07-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #16
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylo View Post
I didnt technically break anything. I disconnected an electrical plug and then put it back how it was. There is no warning on it to say do not remove! If I knew it would cause an error I wouldnt have unplugged it. Also, I never said I was unplugging it try and remove the seatbelt sensor this was just assumed here.

Its not a big deal anyway, Ill get it corrected one way or another.. Thanks for the replies.
By disconnecting the plug you caused the error so you "broke" it.

A bit of research here (or any other modern automotive site) would have shown you that you need to disconnect the battery (or make sure there is no power to that system) when you disconnect wires under the seat or anything else involving airbags.

Why you did it is immaterial. It isn't a problem covered under warranty and if you take it to the dealer without "fessing up" then you are not only causing the dealer to waste their time diagnosing a non-existent problem but it is also warranty fraud.

You caused the issue (ignorance isn't an excuse) so you need to pay for the fix.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #17
roylo
Private
Rep

Quote:
By disconnecting the plug you caused the error so you "broke" it.

A bit of research here (or any other modern automotive site) would have shown you that you need to disconnect the battery (or make sure there is no power to that system) when you disconnect wires under the seat or anything else involving airbags.

Why you did it is immaterial. It isn't a problem covered under warranty and if you take it to the dealer without "fessing up" then you are not only causing the dealer to waste their time diagnosing a non-existent problem but it is also warranty fraud.

You caused the issue (ignorance isn't an excuse) so you need to pay for the fix.
Never intended on getting it rectified under warranty. That was someone else.

Last edited by roylo; 07-04-2011 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 02:43 AM   #18
roylo
Private
Rep

Got it fixed by a local guy. Cost me $80. Atleast I know now where to go if I need anything else done.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 03:17 AM   #19
JohnSprm69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW e92

Quote:
This is exactly why dealers refuse warranty service of "questionable" repairs.

You are guilty of warranty fraud (if they fall for it) and attempted fraud (if they don't) but in either case your stupid for boasting about it here.
aw come on give me a fucking break!!!!!! car is under warranty let them do their work, be it my fault or not.

for damn sure if you were in my shoes you would NOT walk in the dealer and say you unplugged the seat while the battery was connected.

btw: i took it in yesterday and they fixed it with no problems or complaints or questions, they thanked me for my business and had me on my way.

Last edited by JohnSprm69; 07-22-2011 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 04:04 AM   #20
Madboost335i
fresh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

anyone know if the INPA software clear that seltbelt and airbag light ??
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 04:59 AM   #21
roylo
Private
Rep

Is this what I need to clear errors like my seatbelt/airbag error? Can I programme special codes and tunes with this aswell? Im thinking of buying it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-G...item5d2b83f578
Appreciate 0