E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Flash DSC Update to Add eLSD (Limited Slip)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
191
Rep
496
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW F10 535i M-Sport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Little Rock

iTrader: (0)

Flash DSC Update to Add eLSD (Limited Slip)

We had a icy/snowy past couple of days which got me to thinking.

This car could use some sort of Limited Slip differential.
When one rear wheel is on ice and the other is on dry/grippy pavement, the
DSC doesn't just brake the spinning wheel, it also reduces engine power. In fact, there is sometimes plenty of one wheel spin with DSC activated (from a stop).

This makes for slow(er) starts on split-mu surfaces.

I would imagine, the eLSD from the 335i would apply more brake to the spinning wheel, transferring the drive force to the other wheel, while delaying engine output reduction. In my mind, this would allow the wheel with the best traction to push move the car when one wheel is on a slippery surface.

Anyway the question is:
Has anybody flashed 335i DSC software to the 06/07/or 328i DSC module in an attempt to gain the eLSD function? Anyone know of a reason why it would not work. Surely, the eLSD is purely electronic. Anyone know of a reason the flash would not work?

Maybe I'll have to just give it a try.
#intrigued
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
Nico87
Second Lieutenant
Nico87's Avatar
No_Country
25
Rep
285
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 328i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92 328i  [0.00]
What are you driving?
__________________

2009 E92 328i | 6MT | Sport Package | Premium Package | Convenience Package | Cold Weather Package | LOGIC7 | Xenon | Space Gray Metallic on Black Dakota Leather
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
191
Rep
496
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW F10 535i M-Sport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Little Rock

iTrader: (0)

2006 330i Auto
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
Taskmaster
Major General
Taskmaster's Avatar
Japan
2019
Rep
8,524
Posts

Drives: E92 LCI Msport 6 Speed
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (5)

Don't all 3ers have eLSD?
__________________
Axiom - E92 Msport 6MT: Bolt ons - MILV - BPC tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
Nico87
Second Lieutenant
Nico87's Avatar
No_Country
25
Rep
285
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 328i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92 328i  [0.00]
I'm pretty sure all of the post-Mar08 3ers have the eLSD, and all the pre-Mar08's do not.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

To touch on OP's question, I doubt a simple flash would do the trick. You'd need to install the required sensors to talk to the stock open diff.
__________________

2009 E92 328i | 6MT | Sport Package | Premium Package | Convenience Package | Cold Weather Package | LOGIC7 | Xenon | Space Gray Metallic on Black Dakota Leather
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #6
Mike.
Internet Famous
Mike.'s Avatar
No_Country
1462
Rep
2,437
Posts

Drives: RK TUNED F30 335xi
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Eastern Long Island

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [5.00]
maybe this will help, who knows

everything you want to know about the elsd, except the production date
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719012
__________________
|RKTUNES|VRSF|CTS TURBO|AFE|TUNING WORKS|VOODOO VINYL|OMG MOTOR WORKS
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
191
Rep
496
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW F10 535i M-Sport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Little Rock

iTrader: (0)

Yes. 03/08 forward is the date for eLSD. 328i's may have it. 335i has it for sure.
No 325 or 330i was equipped with it.

The system is totally software software based. No additional sensors were added. REALOEM shows the only difference as the DSC unit itself.

All other sensors are in place already because of stability and traction control.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
AMG KLR
First Lieutenant
31
Rep
339
Posts

Drives: N55 BSM F30
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Pompano Beach

iTrader: (0)

Oh this is very easy to do. Just buy the new unit and program it to your VIN I would assume
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #9
Nico87
Second Lieutenant
Nico87's Avatar
No_Country
25
Rep
285
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 328i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG KLR View Post
Oh this is very easy to do. Just buy the new unit and program it to your VIN I would assume
Interesting. I'm driving a 2009 E92 328i (production November 08) and I'm unsure if I'm running with an eLSD. Searched forever and can't seem to confirm it.
__________________

2009 E92 328i | 6MT | Sport Package | Premium Package | Convenience Package | Cold Weather Package | LOGIC7 | Xenon | Space Gray Metallic on Black Dakota Leather
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #10
mecbain
Lieutenant
72
Rep
546
Posts

Drives: e90 330i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada

iTrader: (0)

my opinion obviously, but in normal/spirited driving on snow, I find the traction/stability control on a 2006 330i is super, I don't know how to explain it, but it allows me to "rotate" the car around corners (not drifting), personally I love the way it behaves, but than again this is not in full crazy driving mode, in which I guess it could become unpleasant.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #11
npsteeb
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Perrysburg, Oh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
We had a icy/snowy past couple of days which got me to thinking.

This car could use some sort of Limited Slip differential.
When one rear wheel is on ice and the other is on dry/grippy pavement, the
DSC doesn't just brake the spinning wheel, it also reduces engine power. In fact, there is sometimes plenty of one wheel spin with DSC activated (from a stop).

This makes for slow(er) starts on split-mu surfaces.

I would imagine, the eLSD from the 335i would apply more brake to the spinning wheel, transferring the drive force to the other wheel, while delaying engine output reduction. In my mind, this would allow the wheel with the best traction to push move the car when one wheel is on a slippery surface.

Anyway the question is:
Has anybody flashed 335i DSC software to the 06/07/or 328i DSC module in an attempt to gain the eLSD function? Anyone know of a reason why it would not work. Surely, the eLSD is purely electronic. Anyone know of a reason the flash would not work?

Maybe I'll have to just give it a try.
#intrigued
Wow you read my mind. I was thinking the same thing today and stumbled across your post. I also have an 06 330i auto and it's downright horrible in snowy Ohio. This is my first BMW and I assumed a car with a 46k sticker price would have a LSD. This car really needs a LSD, but I don't feel like dropping $1500 into my DD. It sounds like the eLSD(w/ winter tires) would atleast make the car driveable in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #12
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
191
Rep
496
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW F10 535i M-Sport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Little Rock

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecbain View Post
my opinion obviously, but in normal/spirited driving on snow, I find the traction/stability control on a 2006 330i is super, I don't know how to explain it, but it allows me to "rotate" the car around corners (not drifting), personally I love the way it behaves, but than again this is not in full crazy driving mode, in which I guess it could become unpleasant.
Yes. The DSC is quite good. But In recent snowy weather, it was evident that it could clearly be better if it was able to more accurately transfer power to the wheel with grip (as opposed to reducing power).
One wheel on ice and one wheel on grippy pavement, the wheel on ice slips then DSC reduces engine power and/or applies brakes to that slipping wheel.
The problem is that the power reduction limits the torque transferred to the wheel with grip, so you move away from a stop rather slowly. Exactly the situation e(LSD) would help most...

The stock system is good, but there is room for improvement!
As we all know, improvement is a good thing!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:12 PM   #13
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
191
Rep
496
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW F10 535i M-Sport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Little Rock

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by npsteeb View Post
Wow you read my mind. I was thinking the same thing today and stumbled across your post. I also have an 06 330i auto and it's downright horrible in snowy Ohio. This is my first BMW and I assumed a car with a 46k sticker price would have a LSD. This car really needs a LSD, but I don't feel like dropping $1500 into my DD. It sounds like the eLSD(w/ winter tires) would atleast make the car driveable in the snow.

A good set of tires will go a long way towards making your E90 handle the snow better. I equipped mine with a set of stock sized Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season tires and am totally blown away by the grip, stability and traction the car displays in even the most tumultuous winter weather. On top of that, the dry weather handling is phenomenal!

A set of dedicated snow tires would definitely be better on ice, but is total overkill here in Arkansas (only 2 or 3 snows yearly).

e(LSD) would certainly be a welcome addition though. Especially if it just be flashed to the current DSC unit.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #14
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
191
Rep
496
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW F10 535i M-Sport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Little Rock

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG KLR View Post
Oh this is very easy to do. Just buy the new unit and program it to your VIN I would assume
I know the new DSC unit could be retrofitted.
I was hoping that the new software could be flashed to the original DSC though.

Thinking about it, if that were the case BMW wouldn't have changed the unit in the first place. They would have just flashed an update themselves.
Unless, the new DSC unit/part number is about some other hardware revision and has nothing to do with the software...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #15
npsteeb
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Perrysburg, Oh

iTrader: (0)

So do we know if the part number for a 2008.5 DSC is different than our 2006?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #16
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
191
Rep
496
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW F10 535i M-Sport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Little Rock

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by npsteeb View Post
So do we know if the part number for a 2008.5 DSC is different than our 2006?
Yes. The Pre 09/2006 unit is # 34516775394.
09/06 to 09/07 is 34506777160.
12/07 to 09/08 is 34506784811.
09/08 to 12/13 is 34516789308

As you can see. There have been a series of part #'s for the DSC unit.
None of them corresponds directly with the 03/2008 eLSD introduction date.
In fact, DSC part# 34506784811 came on eLSD and pre eLSD 2008 models according to the date range. So surely, Early E90s with that part # will gain the eLSD with a simple flash to the appropriate ZB# (software)...

The two preceding part #'s (covering introduction all the way to 09/2007) may or may not be able to accept the new software. A hardware change does not necessarily mean software has changed too. Sometimes a physical component is improved whilst not affecting the software.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #17
npsteeb
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Perrysburg, Oh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
Yes. The Pre 09/2006 unit is # 34516775394.
09/06 to 09/07 is 34506777160.
12/07 to 09/08 is 34506784811.
09/08 to 12/13 is 34516789308

As you can see. There have been a series of part #'s for the DSC unit.
None of them corresponds directly with the 03/2008 eLSD introduction date.
In fact, DSC part# 34506784811 came on eLSD and pre eLSD 2008 models according to the date range. So surely, Early E90s with that part # will gain the eLSD with a simple flash to the appropriate ZB# (software)...

The two preceding part #'s (covering introduction all the way to 09/2007) may or may not be able to accept the new software. A hardware change does not necessarily mean software has changed too. Sometimes a physical component is improved whilst not affecting the software.
Thanks for digging that info up. So are you going to be the guinea pig and attempt to update your DSC?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #18
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
191
Rep
496
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW F10 535i M-Sport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Little Rock

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by npsteeb View Post
Thanks for digging that info up. So are you going to be the guinea pig and attempt to update your DSC?
You read my mind. Yes. I am going to go ahead and flash this module.
I've gotta track down the correct ZB#.

My notes show that my DSC Software # is 6775387. (06 330i)
6776067 belongs to a 2007 335i. I need the software # for a slightly newer model, perhaps a 2008 328i or 335i.

It's harder to locate zb#'s than part #'s.

Anyone know how to find the current zb# for a specific vehicle or module (not my own)?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #19
Mike.
Internet Famous
Mike.'s Avatar
No_Country
1462
Rep
2,437
Posts

Drives: RK TUNED F30 335xi
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Eastern Long Island

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [5.00]
where are you going to go to get it flashed?
__________________
|RKTUNES|VRSF|CTS TURBO|AFE|TUNING WORKS|VOODOO VINYL|OMG MOTOR WORKS
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 09:23 PM   #20
mecbain
Lieutenant
72
Rep
546
Posts

Drives: e90 330i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
Yes. The DSC is quite good. But In recent snowy weather, it was evident that it could clearly be better if it was able to more accurately transfer power to the wheel with grip (as opposed to reducing power).
One wheel on ice and one wheel on grippy pavement, the wheel on ice slips then DSC reduces engine power and/or applies brakes to that slipping wheel.
The problem is that the power reduction limits the torque transferred to the wheel with grip, so you move away from a stop rather slowly. Exactly the situation e(LSD) would help most...

The stock system is good, but there is room for improvement!
As we all know, improvement is a good thing!
yeah forgot a small detail, in straight line (hey I'm a bmw driver who cares about straights lol, just kidding) yeah obviously even with all the systems the car has, not having lsd is unpleasant when accelerating in a straight line on snow, can actually be dangerous if snow tires are not too good.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2014, 11:39 PM   #21
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
andrey_gta's Avatar
Canada
235
Rep
4,043
Posts

Drives: 130i coupé ;)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bimmerpost

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Commercial sales section has anew budget option for an LSD, they are doing group buys, the shipped price is quite nice
__________________
128i Sport 6MT converted to Euro 130i spec, 3.73 diff, tuned by evolve ~220 whp 207 wtq(ft-lb) SAE
In-progress: //M front arm, M3 rack, e36M lip Wishlist: Coils, n55 mnts, headers, LSD, e60 finn diff


"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 11:47 PM   #22
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
191
Rep
496
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW F10 535i M-Sport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Little Rock

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emozoo View Post
where are you going to go to get it flashed?
I will flash it myself via WinKfp.

Played with a couple of modules so far. eLSD would be nice, but it'll be cool to try for just the experience.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:50 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST